“Top Notch & Worth the Wait!”

Freedive Utila - Apnea Total Freediving School
Ranked #2 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Owner description: Freedive Utila, Central America's Freediving Headquarters, is the place to learn how to hold your breath and go deeper than you ever thought. Now in our new location and offering Instructor training courses.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been regretting the fact that I ran out of time last year while on the island of Utila, Honduras to take the Advanced Freediving course from Mark (Tex) of Apnea Total. Everybody that I talked to about he teaching raved about he teaching style and how much they learned about being safe and going deeper for longer periods of time on a single breath hold. I am an avid freediver, spearfisherman and underwater photographer and I needed to better understand what I was doing so that I could better enjoy my favorite sport and stay safe. Tex helped me get to 100 ft at the same location that I did my "deep dive" SCUBA instruction last year only this time I went there without tanks. He also helped me understand better how my body works and to interpret body changes as information signals and not associate these signals with a panic to breathe. This was able to help me take my static breath hold from 3 minutes to 4min 20 sec. I am VERY pleased. It was also very assuring to know that Tex has never had an incident himself so that allowed me to trust him even more. I highly recommend this course (beginner, advanced or master) to anyone who loves the water and wants to enjoy it without a tank to the fullest!

Here is a video link of my 100ft dive. I have an integrated video camera on my mask.

2  Thank TheFishin6
"lots of fun"
"fun dives"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Me and two friends did the intro and advanced course. Its crazy what you can learn to do in such a short time with an instructor such as Tex. 2 of us got to 35m and 5 minute breath holds, and the other 30m and 3.48 minute breath hold. Diving the haliburt wreck was a highlight. I would highly recommend doing these courses if your keen on spending time under the ocean and learning about what your body is capable of. Cheers Tex. Oh and kays pepper snack next to the dive center has wicked carrabiean meals that are cheap as chips and fill you up after a good day free diving!

1  Thank DaveBallNZ
Reviewed March 23, 2013

In a word Excellent! Very informative, professional, and all around great instructor. Thanks Tex for the great intro to free diving. Looking forward to beginning the advanced class. Great location for practice and good views of a nice wreck while in class only a couple minutes from dive school.

1  Thank Hunter P
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Loved the group and had a one day intro course with the group. It was my first experience going down about 13 metres without a scuba tank and couldn't believe it! I will definitely do the full course if I return and have more time!

1  Thank Frank Y
See more reviews
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We went to Utila to do our advanced scuba diving course and had a few days to spare afterwards so decided to do an Apnea course with Mark Rogers 'Tex' and Lisa Starchild. Free diving was the highlight of our trip! Got to 17m the first day and 27m the second... We dived the same wreck that we did our scuba course on without all the equipment. It was absolutely amazing! Tex and Lisa are exceptional instructors, they made us feel very comfortable and relaxed in the water. Highly recommended! So much easier than it seems!! (But don't tell anyone)

1  Thank kateo2GoldCoast