“OW to DM at Ecomarine”

Gunter's Ecomarine
Ranked #10 of 18 Tours in Utila
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Gunter's Ecomarine Dive Shop is a world famous secret found only on the island Utila. We offer a familiar atmosphere, professional service and the best diving on Utila. Whether you are first time diver or a diver of the world, Ecomarine will give you a dive adventure of a lifetime....
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I spent 4 months at Ecomarine and enjoyed every minute. Did my very first dive there and ended up leaving as a Divemaster! Highly recommended, easy going dive shop in a pace far from the other "dive factories" on the island. Professional staff and great BBQs at the dock.

All reviews
"underwater world"
in 4 reviews
"dive sites"
in 6 reviews
"great place to learn to dive"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this place"
"north side"
"whale sharks"

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I spent 2 weeks, over New Years, completing my Rescue diver and chilling with the gang on the pier. Friends were made quickly and the conversations were enlightening and laughter was never far off. Tex ran the ship during my stay as the owners were away. We became friends; Very inspirational and grounded gentleman. I took his freediving class and was amazed with his teaching and the results. Carla taught a great course and Debbie dotted every 'i' and crossed every 't' to make sure everything was in order.
Great time... Thanks.

1  Thank OsterBen
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Words can't even describe how fantastic a trip we had! I went with my brother and good friend for his 40th birthday. We stayed in an awesome rustic cabin at the Hotel Margarita which was an easy 5 minute walk from Gunter's. The diving was unbelievable! Great crew, great captain, great guides... I can't recommend these guys high enough.

Part of me wants to tell everyone to stay away though - I love the sleepy, laid back atmosphere of Utila. But if you are going - this is the place to dive.

Have fun!

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Great place to learn to dive! A small and familiar shop with very freandly staff and a nice dook with a sunset-bar.
We did there our OpenWater and was a lot of fun, but also very professional. They are not "hunting" customers, like the big shops do on utila. If you like it there you are very welcome, if not, there are many other shops too.
...highly recommended

See more reviews
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our plan was to stay max 4 days on Utila, get our open water and continue. 4 days became two of the best weeks ever thanks to Ecomarine. The classes are small, professional and above all fun. After the open water we even did our advanced as well. In stead of being a "product" in one of the big diveshopsfactory's on the island, we stayed every day and almost every night at the diveshop and had the best, relaxed time with the whole ecomarine crew and the other divers.

The whole crew makes every effort to make sure you have the best time on the island. For us this even resulted in a whaleshark encounter on the last day of our stay, thanks to Jose the captain.

Thanks Ecomarine for the great two weeks