“fabulous food and view”
Review of El Picante - CLOSED

El Picante
Cuisines: Caribbean, Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
South Carolina
“fabulous food and view”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

food is great, view is among the best in Utila for dinner - pineapple smoothie is delicious as are the chicken quesdillas! Great prices- perfect for our family of 6!

Visited July 2014

London
“Lovely meal and John was lovely! ”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Came here for our first night and last night!
Mexican food, had the chicken special which was lovely,
John the owner was so sweet and even gave us a drink on the house!
Lovely setting too

Atlanta, GA
“Beautiful views, great food”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

First tip - if you want the specials, then get there early! The day we went it was 1/2 rotisserie chicken with sides that sounded divine, but unfortunately was already gone by the time we arrived. I ordered the chicken quesadillas, my husband ordered chicken fajitas, and the other couple ordered chicken enchiladas and nachos. I enjoyed my chicken quesadillas as they were both tasty and smaller, soft taco sized so they were easier to eat than the larger ones that are standard in the States. The nachos were quite large enough to be split between two people when they arrived, and they were actually quite a symmetrical site to behold so you got a little of everything on each chip. The fajitas and enchiladas also got rave reviews. A tip - if you are looking for some SERIOUS spice, let the owner know and he'll get you a sample of the super spicy salsa!

• Visited March 2014
Berea, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, outstanding view”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

One of my favorite places on Utila. The view is amazing with one of the best places to view the sunset. Jean, the owner, is a great host. He visits every table and gets to know the customers. The food is great and very consistent. The drinks are excellent. El Picante is one of my favorite restaurants on the island.

• Visited May 2014
Raleigh, NC
“One of the best places I ate on Utila”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

El Picante serves up pretty typical mexican fare. It was one of the few places where I was able to get a (relatively) healthy dinner, as most of the meals I had on Utila were extremely greasy and good vegetables are hard to come by. The food here is a bit greasy as well, but not as bad as other places, and there were a few vegetarian options on the menu as well. I had some truly horrible meals on Utila, and despite continuing to reduce my standards, restaurants on the island kept not living up to them. But this place was solid and consistent. Here you tend to get what you were expecting and leave satisfied. The smoothies (I abstained from alcohol so I could get up for diving every morning) were outstanding, made with fresh fruit in a blender at the bar, in full view so you know what goes into it. It was more expensive than a lot of places on Utila, but still extremely cheap by first world standards, so I had no qualms about eating here several times during my stay. I would definitely go back if I were to return to Utila.

Visited April 2014