“Can't Wait To Go Back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Can't Wait To Go Back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This park is one of the best excursions you can get at Roatan Island. You get to see luscious tropical vegetation in separate gardens full of huge trees and all kinds of animals. They're everywhere. We saws hummingbirds, iguanas, bats, horned fowl, basilisks, turtles, geckos, agoutis (rodents as big as rabbits but looking more like tailless rats) and of course, parrots and monkeys.

The main attraction of Gumbalimba park is to see and interact with the macaws and the capuchin monkeys. Once you walk through the rope bridge, macaws and amazon parrots greet you. They're all over the place- up in the trees and on the ground. Same with the capuchin monkeys. If you want to, tour guides can put them on your shoulders for personal pictures but you can also buy theirs.

There's an insectarium with some morpho butterflies, a fort-like structure where you will hear some pirate stories, a gorgeous 3d map of the island and there's even a place to buy some souvenirs. If you're on your way to Tabyana beach and bring a bag, I'd recommend renting a locker so you don't have to carry it through the park. If you have the time, there's even an area for zip lining for the most daring visitors.

Overall, Gumbalimba Park and the bus ride from the port to it was a great experience. We left completely satisfied and hoping to return for more.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank RiverCoatl

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lots of animals and informative!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We visited Gumbalimba on a whim in the few hours we had while waiting for a 3 PM flight out. What a great way to spend our last day! We opted to skip the ziplining and explore only the park. When you walk in, you see iguanas EVERYWHERE. Our tour guide was Nelson, who explained which iguanas were males, females, carnivores, herbivores, named Michael Jackson, etc. Nelson was great. He talked a lot about the trees and how they were used for medicines or foods...I'm usually very bored by plants but he somehow made it interesting. After trying not to step on iguanas for a 1/4 mile, you cross a bridge to meet the macaws, but more excitingly, the monkeys! I have never held a monkey and it took all my energy to hold in my squeals at how cute they were. They're very playful and totally nice (except when they try to pick your pockets...which is still really cute). We were lucky to see this place and would highly recommend checking it out!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank CaitlinVO
Stockbridge, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nice gardens with monkies !!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

An enjoyable and relaxing experience. The only time in my life I have ever held a monkey. Walking across the rope bridge was cool. The beach was just ok. The gardens were nice. The tour guide was nice. The monkies were sweet. I thought I would be scared to hold one, but I was not. They were very friendly. The ride from the port to the park was just as enjoyable as the time spent in the park. I was in the front seat though.

Visited February 2014
Houston, Texas
“Birds, monkey, iguanas, OH MY!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The best thing about this park is the monkey and macaw interactions! It was the highight of pretty much our whole vacation! My son had a blast being able to hold the monkeys and feed them. The pirate cave was pretty cool too because our guide allowed him to pose with the pirate gear and even let him take one of the doubloons as a souvenir. Ive done this tour twice, so I will say that the guide makes a big difference in the kind of experience you will have. Now as far as the price goes...it's kind of high but the animal interactions make it worth it. How often do you get to play with monkeys or have a macaw perch on your shoulder!? Overall, great experience!!

Visited October 2013
Suphan Buri, Thailand
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“So much fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Beautiful country, of course. My only negative is that my tour guide sneakily separated the men and women and had them trek across this suspended "Indiana Jones" bridge separately. I was terrified and wanted my spouse. lol.

But hey...they let me hold a spider monkey. So all is forgiven. :)

Visited May 2013