“GREAT TIME”

$45.00*
and up
Customizeable Best Of Roatan Island Tour
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I had a great time at the park. The grounds were beautiful.I liked the insectorium the most. While my wife liked the monkeys and birds on her shoulders while I took pictures.We should have planned to stay the whole day there. There was beach access with swimming and lounge chairs. There is also zip lines for the brave. The cave with Captain Coxen is nice and gave us some history of the island. WE had an ice cream and coke while watching the humming birds. A very nice afternoon,we should have planned to stay all day. Nick G

1  Thank Nick G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,126)
All reviews
"sunflower seeds"
"perch"
"personal guide"

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We went here with a 19 month old in a stroller. It was AWESOME! The weather wasn't great, but the rain was warm and nobody (not even the baby) got upset about it. There is a "fair" amount of walking, but nothing excessive for a couple of sixty plus folks. The monkeys were cute! they are not caged and they are curious and friendly. One of them unexpectedly jumped from my shoulder to my wife's and startled her. When she "shrieked" the monkey jumped away and ran up a tree. I can still hear the handler, "Dolores! It's OK, you can come down now..." The monkey was staying up in the trees with a look on its face that said, unmistakably, "That lady yelled at me!" The Macaws were beautiful and the large crop of green hummingbirds at the feeder made for some really good photographs. Since we got wet from the rain, we didn't think it necessary to go to the beach. There were a few people on our bus that went directly to the beach for snorkeling. The little shop that sells refreshments was not exorbitant. The local crafts for sale were reasonable as well. All in all, I felt it was a worthwhile outing. The soft, warm rain, only served to underscore the fact that this is a "Rain Forest"! The pirate history was informative, but the exhibit was not real professional. The insectarium was kind of different. If you are an entomologist, it might be interesting. There are hundreds of mounted specimens of tropical beetles and butterflies. Out of context, like they are, it is just a little strange, Still, all-in-all, I think this was an excellent outing. The staff were VERY accommodating. Should I return to Roatan, I would probably venture out on this expedition again. Even the drive to the park was interesting and informative because we had a very good guide!. There is also a golf cart available for those who need it. It costs $5 a head, but it is probably worth it. During the walk there is a swinging suspension bridge. It is about 20 feet above a small lake. If that is a concern, there is a "chicken walk" available to navigate around it. My daughter in law did it carrying the little one. (She said she probably wouldn't do it again. Especially not in the rain)

4  Thank bureaucrat377
Reviewed September 25, 2013

this is a great little tour even though its a bit expensive at 30 bucks a person the monkeys are great and the iguanas but the spider monkey being chained up all the time did not impress me if he cant be unchained then send him back to the wild or give a very large enclosure you have the room

1  Thank chelseaPhoenix
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our group thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. We saw beautiful plants, trees, & flowers, hummingbirds, butterflies, iguanas, chameleons, scarlet macaws, parrots, and monkeys. The macaws and monkeys will sit on your shoulder with the encouragement of their handlers. A fabulous experience! The guide then took us on a walk through a man made cave & told us about the history of pirates there. There are paintings and artifacts about the native people and pirates. Afterwards, we had a delicious fajita lunch at the open air restaurant in the park, while shopping for the local handicrafts. The facility has lockers for rent, & bathrooms. Two of our group wanted to swim in the ocean there, but decided not to due to garbage in the water. This is very sad that the beach and water had trash all around. Whatever is causing this must be stopped.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a good excursion. Gumbalimba is a beautiful place to visit. It is lush and green. The flowers are beautiful. The monkeys are adorable. You do get to actually hold monkeys and birds and the people are also so nice.

The only problem is that there is a lot of walking and you can not take your bags with you because of the monkeys. My bag had all of my important things in it and it made me feel very uncomfortable putting my bag in a "locker". Plus, as much walking as there is you have no water to keep you hydrated, which in a climate like that, is very much needed.

One couple was told that having their baby on the trip was just fine. But they found out that there are stairs to climb and uneven surfaces for the stroller. They had to put all of their baby things (i.e. diapers, formula, etc) in the locker.

All in all it is a great experience & fun. Not great for children that can not walk on their own.

1  Thank 777jeannem