“A Must Stop when visiting Roatan !”
Review of De La Vina Wine Bar & Jug Shop - CLOSED

De La Vina Wine Bar & Jug Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: De La Vina Wine Bar & Jug Shop is Roatan's first and only wine bar, offering wines and gourmet foods. It specializes in the wines of South America, from countries such as Argentina, Chile and Uruguay. De La Vina offers structured tastings as well as wine by the glass or bottle. De La Vina can also host private wine tastings for special events. De La Vina is open daily from 11am to 9pm.
Reviewed June 20, 2008

My girlfriend and I traveled to West Bay and West End from 6/3/08 to 6/10/08. My girlfriend is a real Wine Connoisseur and was a little put off by the selections at most of the restaurants that we visited on Roatan. When she ordered wine, she was greeted with the question: "Red or White?". Fortunately, we had done some research and knew about De La Vina prior to our visit.

We spent a good part of our second afternoon on the island at De La Vina and with Sashi, the Co-owner. We tasted several of his Chilean and Argentinean selections. We started with some tastes and then before we knew it, we had ordered and downed bottle. This was an extremely enjoyable experience and Sashi is an extremely engaging and friendly host who we came to depend upon for guidance as we selected activities and restaurants on the island. Sashi is an excellent resource and I would suggest that everyone take a moment to visit De La Vina, sip on some Vino, and get some good local advice. Thanks again Sashi !

This Wine Store is tucked away in the corner of a the West Bay Mall, Sashi explained that this is actually by design as they are air conditioned to prevent wine spoilage and being in the shaded corner of the mall helps with energy costs. They are one of the only air conditioned Restaurant on the island. The store is kind of dark for this reason. I would suggest a rainy day or late afternoon visit if you want to sit down to enjoy some of the wines.

We ended up picking up 4 bottles of wine over two visits to De La Vina and then would take them to dinner with us. Most restaurants will either charge you a $5 Corkage fee or no corkage fee at all. If you like wine with dinner, I would suggest that you do this. One last suggestion… Bring a couple of inexpensive wine openers with you as they do cost $5 at De La Vina. I purchased one and let a waiter borrow it to open my bottle. I never saw it again. I spent $10 on wine openers in total. These are a commodity on the island.

Pat Cotter
Tampa, FL

2  Thank cotterpf

Reviewed March 3, 2008

We were staying at Las Sirenas, associated with the Henry Morgan Hotel, Roatan, Honduras and found De La Vina right up the street. It is a great place to find a bottle of wine for dinner. At the Henry Morgan and Las Sirenas they let you bring your own bottle back for dinner. So if you want to drink a good bottle with dinner go over to De La Vina - the owners are friendly and know their wines well. Indeed, the quality level seems to be a notch or two above the current Roatan average.

Reviewed January 29, 2008

My boyfriend's son and daughter-in-law finally took their delayed honeymoon and chose Roatan Island. We thought that since it had been 6 months since their wedding that we'd like to do something special for them when they arrived and decided to look into having a "Welcome/Gift Basket" for them.

After much searching, I was able to find De La Vina Wine Bar & Jug Shop on-line. Rob (the owner) quickly responded to my request and put together a wonderful basket of wine, cheese, crackers, etc. and was able to accommodate my request to add a 6-pack of beer as well. They even delivered it to the resort they were staying at.

The "kids" were surprised & really enjoyed the treats. I cannot thank Rob enough for helping me out on this request, would highly recommend him and would most definitely use his services again. They are back now & tell us we'd love Roatan better than Aruba, so when we go down, we'll be sure to stop by the shop for a visit!!

1  Thank Mistimoop
Reviewed November 3, 2007

have a large, affordable selection of mostly So Am wines and have a lot of cheeses. Sell by glass or bottle. We brought stuff to our beach house and enjoyed it.

1  Thank sandarter
Reviewed September 27, 2007

If you have a love of fun wine in a unique island setting then this is the place for you. The owners are very knowledgeable and have a great selection of unique wines. They pretty much have a wine for all tastes and desires. This was one of our excursions stops from our Carnival Funship "Valor". I would highly recommend stopping at this jewel in the nile. I also find out they are the ONLY wine bar on the island. So if you're looking for a change of pace from Fruity Rum drinks and beer then this stop is a must. You can also sample fine cheese and they even carry a unique coffee blend. I have posted a picture of my buddies and one of the Co-owners SASHI. He is a unique fellow with lots of good stories. He and the other owner BOB will treat you well!!

James