“Overwhelming customer service!”

Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Roatan
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
“Overwhelming customer service!”
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We chose Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan for our First Anniversary trip. I wanted to become certified to Open Water Scuba and my husband wanted to earn his Advanced Diving certification. We could not have made a better choice! The staff at both Turquoise Bay and the attached Subway Watersports were amazing.

I let the reservation staff at Turquoise Bay know in advance that it was our anniversary. When we arrived, we found fresh flowers in our room (including flower petals spread all over the bed!), a wonderful fruit tray and a chilled bottle of champagne waiting for us. They had also placed a dining table on our balcony overlooking the ocean and served us our dinner (grilled lobster and shrimp, really delicious!) there. This is just one example of many that I could give describing the wonderful care that we received from the staff at Turquoise Bay.

We had an equally amazing experience with Subway Watersports. I consider myself truly fourtunate to have had Liz as my instructor in scuba diving. She was amazingly patient (even when I was unable to control my seasickness!), knowledgable, and seemed to love showing me the underwater world that she was so at home in. My husband also had a lot of fun with his Advanced Diving classes.

One thing to remember about Turquoise Bay is that it is on the East End of Roatan while most of the night life is on the West End. This wasn't an issue for us because we intended to rent a jeep for exploring anyway. Also, the resort beach is lovely but man-made. Remember your insect repellent, sand fleas are an issue!

• Liked — The personal attention and service of the staff at both Turquoise Bay and Subway Watersports.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Deborah M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Sugar Land
Reviewed May 19, 2007

TBR Positives:
We really enjoyed the intimate nature of the resort. We got to know virtually all of our fellow divers and our wait staff. The resort only had about 15 people at a time.

Sunsets are the best. Couldn’t imagine a more beautiful setting for the sunsets.

Food was good. We ordered off the menu with the exception of one lunch. TBR has a bona-fide chef and prepared some really good meals with outstanding sauces.

Resort is new and so things working, clean, and in good shape. Rooms were spacious. Beds were springy and reasonably comfortable. The resort has a generator so the frequent power outages were not a problem.

The resort helped us rent a car for a day at very reasonable rates. The company dropped the car at the resort for us.

TBR Negatives:

Sand fleas will eat you alive if you don’t put repellent on immediately after getting out of the water. They evidently like salt. After the first evening, we didn’t spend much time on the beach itself. The nearly constant comfortable breezes provided some relief. My wife succumbed to itching and her back, legs and arms had over 165 bites/welts all over it.

Pesky little ants in the rooms.

All inclusive is annoying with its rules. Certain drinks are included at different times. The front desk instructed us incorrectly about the sodas when we checked in. Not a big deal in terms of money, just very annoying.

My wife picked up a stomach bug.

If you’re into crowds, this is not the place. The constant soft-rock playing over the speakers is an indication of the middle-aged mellow clientele they are attracting.

Diving

Roatan had a unique mix of diving. We dove the north side, middle of the Island by Milton Bight (bay). I don’t know how it compares to other sites. The coral pillars and walls are massive and rival Cozumel and Belize. The reef crest has some really healthy sponges and wide variety of tropical fish and coral. However, there were relatively few big critters and vis was only marginal. Vis ranged from 40’ to 80’. Most diving is within 10-15 minutes of the shop so you return after every dive. We dove the Odessy and found it very disappointing. Part of it was the short time that our divemaster would spend on the boat before heading off to the nearby wall.

I have a mixed report on Subway diving. Boats hold about 8 people max. The boat is cramped, but you get used to it. The shop operators were very friendly and helpful and the facilities were top notch. Good storage, rinse tanks, bathrooms, and showers. They can definitely improve. A small thing would be to have dedicated rinse tanks for cameras. They are also a school for divemasters and they seem to get confused about their primary clientele. For example, on the night dive, they limited the number of guests that could dive since they had filled a number of the spots with dive masters getting their advanced training. There was tension between their main dive master and the shop and it came out. The main divemaster was a nice guy, but he didn’t pay much attention to the divers. If we had not been advanced divers, it could have been a real problem. He left my wife and I stranded when she was short on weight. We had to catch up to the group through a site called the Labyrinth (twisting turning coral heads) in poor visibility. He didn’t even know we were missing. He found some good stuff, but he was constantly moving. Every buddy team had a camera and we asked him to slow down, but he just couldn’t. Dives were like workouts at times. I think he felt bad that he wasn’t seeing more critters. A major disappointment was that Subway had had their boat confiscated on the south side of the island. One of the reasons we selected Subway was the opportunity to dive the north and south side of the island in a single trip. I could empathize with them, but it was still a disappointment.

Hope this helps. Happy diving.

• Liked — Sunset
  • Disliked — Remoteness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank crazy06
dunedin, florida
Reviewed March 17, 2007

My husband and I have been to Roatan before and stayed at Cocoview, but I wanted a beach this time. We didn't want to be near the touristy area of West Bay. Turquoise bay resort is awesome. Quaint, Quiet, very relaxing. We did the meal plan, which was ok, that is the only thing I can honestly say they should improve is the menu variety. There were only six guests there, so we were waited on hand and foot. The staff is awesome and friendly. By the end of the week, you know everyone by name and they know you. That was special. The rooms were spotless, new and by Honduran standards excellent, (modern toilets!! unlike some places where you have to place used toilet paper in the wastebasket). The beach was nice, but not huge. You do need bug spray, but we were prepared and it wasn't an issue. The dive operation is good, we had a great relaxing week. Nothing for kids really, good place to go, relax, drink and read a book. I love the laid back feeling of Roatan, but I do recommend trying to get all your luggage through carry on. We didn't get our luggage for 3 days and had to buy stuff. The resprt staff was extremely helpful tracking down our luggage. I can't say enough wonderful things about the front office, dining and housekeeping staff. Plus, customs and baggage claim is a nightmare at the airport. Nothing on roatan is dressy, bathing suits and quick dry clothes is all you need. Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2006
5 Thank JoanDunedin
Saline, MI
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We just returned from a week's stay at the almost new (it opened in March 2006) Turquoise Bay Dive and Beach resort on the North coast of Roatan and we had a lovely time. The resort is beautiful and at this time of the year we felt like we owned it, being for some days the only guests. That meant we were pampered by the staff, who at all times are friendly, polite, accommodating, but also a bit inexperienced, which did not really bother us that much.

We opted for the all-inclusive plan, which does not include drinks other than soft drinks and water for the meals. So, if you stay there, be aware that you will have to pay for drinks and tips. For example, a local beer (very good) will cost between $1.50 and $1.85. A glass of fabulous rich Chilenean red wine is $3.00.

The beach at the Turquoise Bay resort is lovely, very calm because it is sheltered in a bay surrounded by mangrove. The water is clear at the edge, but gets a bit murky further out. For snorkeling one might hook up with the dive shop to go out with the divers to the reef. My husband did as many dives as he could and as an experienced diver he had been to many beautiful and interesting dive sites. He found Roatan's coral reefs spectacular. There are walls of coral and caves and he enjoyed himself tremendously. The Dive Shop attached to the hotel, Subway Diving, is a very good operation. The shop is set up with everything a diver needs and very convenient for rinsing and storing gear. One just walks a couple of steps to the dive shop and slips into the gear for the first dive (9AM). Can't be more convenient.

The food at the resort is okay but nothing out of the extraordinary. The portions are good sized and one never feels hungry. The water and ice cubes at the dining room are purified. We can vouch for it, since we drank it all week and had no adverse effects. We understand that when there are more people in the resort, the meals are served buffet style, but with only a handful of visitors the week we went, we had waiter service, which is laid back and therefore a bit slow. But, there is no rush to do anything other than dive and lay in the sun with a good book, so we were very happy to linger over a meal.

The reception area is pretty and the front desk staff friendly and always smiling. Leslie is delightful. We celebrated our anniversary while at the resort, and on my husband's request, she ordered a fabulous bouquet of flowers with exotic and fragrant blooms and it was only $20. What a bargain!

The room we were in, faced the beach, like most of their rooms and was spacious, but a bit austere. It needed a sitting area to make it truly comfy. But there was a large shower with always hot water, and a good bed, and the maid did our room every day around 9AM when we left for diving and the pool, and we were not bothered again until the evening when she brought a bottle of water.

The pool at the resort is lovely and a welcome change from the ocean.

Lastly, the pesky sand fleas and mosquitos are the only negative thing on Roatan. Some people don't get bitten, but my husband and I looked like we have the measles towards the end of our stay. And the itching was hardly relieved by the tons of Benadryl I applied. We used 100% deet and still the tiny sand fleas were all over us. The bites in the hair are horrible. It hurts washing the hair. But this problem exists all over Roatan and the locals told us that after a few months there, the bugs don't bother one anymore. Well, I would have to put that statement to a test!!

In summarizing our trip, it was lovely, enjoyable (minus the bites) and the Turquoisebay Dive and Beach Resort can be highly recommended if you are looking for a great dive experience and quietness afterwards. There is no nightlife at the resort (the restaurant closes at 10PM) and if you want to go to West End you have to drive (approx. 45 minutes) or get a taxi. We did one island tour with a very nice English speaking guide (name and email available if desired) and saw some of the other resorts as well as the way of life on Roatan, and it was interesting and informative.

I include my email address (hmcutler@earthlink.net), in case someone wants to contact me and ask questions.

• Liked — Quaintness
  • Disliked — Too austered furnished
  • Tips/Secrets — Lots and lots of bug repellent