“Has a fantastic dive operation at Subway Watersports.”

Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We did not actually stay at Turquoise Bay but spent a lot of time there at the Subway Watersports scuba shop. The operation and staff there is excellent, and I highly recommend the instructors who are very helpful, capable, and professional PADI people.

I also walked entirely around and inspected the Turqouise Bay resort more than once and was very impressed with its beauty and location. Has a very pretty and well-kept beach and a very nice dining room facing the beach.

Is on the quieter east end of the island, too, so should appeal to those who want to get away from the hustle and bustle for a relaxed stay and a great dive shop.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Thornwell

Reviewed September 1, 2009

My wife and I came to Roatan for our 30th anniversary. We came for the wonderful diving, but left with a wonderful memory. The diving, of course, was spectacular. The resort is in a more secluded location away from town and has many beautiful dive site just offshore. As such, the dive sites aren't crowded out by the west end folks. The rooms, lobby and restaurant were very well kept and clean. The staff was fantastic. They were there when needed and disappeared when they weren't. To top it off, we had our 30th anniversary while there and I requested a special meal and setting. They did the rest. The gave us a candle lit dinner on our balcony. We dined on grilled lobster, fish and shrimp. They had one of their staff serenade my wife with a lovely island song on the guitar. She was swept away and so was I. They went above and beyond any expectations I had. Definitely a vacation to remember. Oh and the sand fleas, stay slathered in lotion and they stay away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

This was a wonderful trip with FABULOUS food and FANTASTIC diving. We stayed 1 week at Turquoise and enjoyed the run of the grounds...when we were not out diving. Being such a small resort with only 20 or so rooms, as well no other resorts or restaurants in the area, it was a great place to relax and enjoy an all inclusive package (transfers, room, food, and pop). I would not go any other way. Staff was great and very social because it was a slower time. Kervie can make one mean strawberry banana daiquiri....thanks for running out to pick up bananas on our last night! Oh and they have free Wi Fi....sometimes took us a few tries, but eventually we'd get logged in. I was able to post pictures every night from our diving for family & friends.

As far as the food, I have never had soooo much fresh seafood in my life! The cooks are amazing, amazing, amazing. Since it was not busy, we were able to order from the menu all week. We were shocked to find out on our first day that we could have shrimp, lobster, or steak at both lunch and dinner. Oh and there was always the choice of chicken, pasta, or a sandwich. No question, we chose the shrimp and lobster for most meals being from the Midwest. You must have the calamari appetizer as it is to die for. I could have just eaten that at every meal...oh I think I did except for 3X I had conch soup which was equally amazing! Our last night there (Friday) the guest count did pick up so a buffet dinner was offered. However, I had my heart (and stomach) set on one last calamari and lobster feast, so the staff was gracious enough to let us order off the menu. Thank You Marty!

Rooms at the resort have a wonderful view of the ocean and being set on a hillside all rooms have a clear sight line of the beach. I will say the mattress was not as comfortable as mine at home, but it did the job and typically allowed me 9 hours of sleep a night. The only suggestion I would have to the resort is to add more counter or shelf space in the room to put your personal stuff out. The desk with 2 drawers was pretty small and had the tv and water station located on top of it. Being divers and beach-goers, we had tons of crap.

The grounds of the resort were nicely kept, just a few minor upkeep details such as popped nails on the deck, windows needing a fresh wash, some rough/hard spots on the beach. Overall, the property is fairly small so you don't have to walk very far to get to restaurant, pool, or beach. Turquoise does open up its facilities to locals on day passes as well cruise ship members on Wednesdays. However, we were diving most of the day so these extra folks had no impact on our stay.

Diving with Subway Water Sports was such a treat. Following breakfast at the resort, we did 2 morning dives, hurried back to have lunch at the resort, and then headed out for a third dive in the afternoon. The staff at Subway was very professional and friendly, even all the interns....special shout out to Krista, Emily, Emily, and Jill! It was quite interesting and unique in our dive experience to be with a dive shop that is also a teaching location. Very cool and hard not to want to stay on as an intern for 4 weeks. There was enough variety in the dives to keep us interested...walls, swim throughs, caves, cuts, etc. Didn't see a lot of big stuff (no shark sighting), but did get a few spotted eagle rays and a pilot fish that wanted to play with us. Subway staff sets up all your dive equipment and washes it following, unless you want to do it yourself. I say have at it, I'm on vacation : )

If you're looking for a high end, plush, and trendy resort then Turquoise Bay is not your thing. However, if you're looking for a small, quite resort set back from the touristy area with good diving and the opportunity to sit back and relax by the pool or beach while reading a book, then I'd say drop Jesus an email. He'll set you up.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ScubaGal75
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Another trip to the beautiful island of Roatan and excellent stay at Turquoise Bay Resort! This would be my 10th trip to Roatan and my 4th return trip to Turquoise Bay. I will follow up on my review from last last year (June 16th 2008).

Truly consistency is the name of the game. This resort is managed well, rooms and facilties remain in excellent shape, the staff is top notch and kitchen produces some of the best food on the island. The kitchen will even accommodate special requests (home made chicken soup!!!Excellent!!) if not extremely busy.

Again if sand flies ( no-seeums) are a concern I recommend you come prepared. I will tell you they are not "Specific" to this resort. As a matter of fact they are quite friendly and tend to spend time all over the island.

My one area of concern on the trip would involve the dive shop: They are a good bunch of people and have the education unfortunately they fall short on there knowledge of the local diving area and organizational skills. I think this could be corrected with a little more "Local" influence added to the diving operation.

To all that read this review: I could go on and on. What I would like to make clear that Roatan is a piece of "Paradise". It has not caught up to all the other "Cancun's" of the world (at least not yet). So if your looking for a beautiful island that offers adventure (scuba diving, horse back riding etc...) or laid back local villages all the way to the "Night Life" on the West End....look no further and certainly stay at Turquoise Bay. It is a great place to spend time between adventures!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rpd11
Reviewed June 29, 2009

From arrival the service was fantastic. The rooms were just as expected and the air conditioning worked really well. They have a really fun staff who took care of us at every meal. They have a good menu which pleased our meat eaters and vegatarians alike. The east end of the Island is quiet, which is how we wanted it and the dive sites are uncrowded. We made our own night life at the little hotel bar. The beach is just like it looks in the pictures but there are little bugs down there. Only one out of our group of 11 had an allergic reation to the bites. The pool area was the best place to be to keep away from them. Subway did a great job organizing our divers as well.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank TheElljay
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Turquoise Bay was a great place to stay from the minute we stepped out of our rental car. While we were checking in we were greeted with a lovely tropical welcome cocktail. We were amazed that it was very quiet around the resort, but there was plenty of waiters and support staff. We wanted for nothing. We did not do the all inclusive, but had several meals, snacks and drinks at the resort, and all were very good. I would highly recommend it. The folks working at Turquoise Bay are willing to show you around the Island. I would recommend this even though we had a rental car. We did venture to the West end and West Bay a few times in our rental car and the drive was not far. We also visited the island near Jonesville.

We also used the dive shop located on the grounds. They were a wonderful group of dive, kayak and snorkeling professionals. We used their services and had a great experience right out past the mangrove. We snorkeled and kayaked(sp) just out in front of the resort. It was excellent and we viewed many different types of coral, fish and other sea creatures.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmlupner
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Diving serviced by Submarine Watersports a 2-shop dive operation with another branch a few miles away; overlapping site territories. Generally stick relatively close to resort. Therefore, typically, they return to the resort dock for surface interval. Shop is very professionally run by Emily. Very accommodating to anything a diver might need.
Compressor room is large, well ventilated, clean and orderly. Two compressors; a large compressor for air and a smaller compressor dedicated to continuous-mixing 32% nitrox.
Submarine Ws is a training center, including training dive masters. They seem to make this a specialty. So, they had several intern DMs available and usually 1 or 2 on each dive. No shortage of staff/diver ratio. Staff are all extremely accommodating; they will do everything for you. (If you carry any of your own gear they will promptly chime in "We will do that for you"). If you prefer to doff your rig before climbing up the ladder they will haul it in for you.
Roatan has lots of dive sites; all with moorings. Don't have to repeat sites if you don't want to. DMs take care to provide variety. DMs were very competent, graduates of Submarine's DM training program.
Boats are relatively small so they couldn't possibly be used for a cattle-boat type operation. Smallest boat was very comfortable with: 4 or 5 guests; captain, DM, 1 or 2 interns. Probably could have handled 1 more guest without trouble.

Dive shop & dock are short stroll from dining room & office of the hotel. Kitchen will make you a sandwich for a surface interval snack. Plenty of time between 2'nd morning dive and afternoon dive for lunch.
Resort features "American Plan" so eating isn't a hassle. You can have lobster for lunch and dinner every day; other dishes are wonderful as well. Dining and other resort staff are extraordinarily friendly and solicitous. They are happy to do anything for you.
Rooms are large (even by American standards) and very comfortable. Pattern is 4 rooms per bungalow with the buildings spread out over a very large campus. Even if full, would be no sensation of being crowded.
WiFi service is available. 1'st hour of usage is free; they post that they charge for additional usage, but told me that they often didn't charge; no charge for my overage. WiFi service was erratic, mostly due to the ISP rather than the hotel. I was grateful the service was available at all in the 3'rd world.

The Bay Islands of Honduras are peculiar in that the mother-tongue is English rather than Spanish. Therefore, almost everyone speaks English; unless he is a trans-plant from the mainland, in which case, he's apt to speak only Spanish. So, getting around and getting along in English is easy.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo