This was a wonderful trip with FABULOUS food and FANTASTIC diving. We stayed 1 week at Turquoise and enjoyed the run of the grounds...when we were not out diving. Being such a small resort with only 20 or so rooms, as well no other resorts or restaurants in the area, it was a great place to relax and enjoy an all inclusive package (transfers, room, food, and pop). I would not go any other way. Staff was great and very social because it was a slower time. Kervie can make one mean strawberry banana daiquiri....thanks for running out to pick up bananas on our last night! Oh and they have free Wi Fi....sometimes took us a few tries, but eventually we'd get logged in. I was able to post pictures every night from our diving for family & friends.
As far as the food, I have never had soooo much fresh seafood in my life! The cooks are amazing, amazing, amazing. Since it was not busy, we were able to order from the menu all week. We were shocked to find out on our first day that we could have shrimp, lobster, or steak at both lunch and dinner. Oh and there was always the choice of chicken, pasta, or a sandwich. No question, we chose the shrimp and lobster for most meals being from the Midwest. You must have the calamari appetizer as it is to die for. I could have just eaten that at every meal...oh I think I did except for 3X I had conch soup which was equally amazing! Our last night there (Friday) the guest count did pick up so a buffet dinner was offered. However, I had my heart (and stomach) set on one last calamari and lobster feast, so the staff was gracious enough to let us order off the menu. Thank You Marty!
Rooms at the resort have a wonderful view of the ocean and being set on a hillside all rooms have a clear sight line of the beach. I will say the mattress was not as comfortable as mine at home, but it did the job and typically allowed me 9 hours of sleep a night. The only suggestion I would have to the resort is to add more counter or shelf space in the room to put your personal stuff out. The desk with 2 drawers was pretty small and had the tv and water station located on top of it. Being divers and beach-goers, we had tons of crap.
The grounds of the resort were nicely kept, just a few minor upkeep details such as popped nails on the deck, windows needing a fresh wash, some rough/hard spots on the beach. Overall, the property is fairly small so you don't have to walk very far to get to restaurant, pool, or beach. Turquoise does open up its facilities to locals on day passes as well cruise ship members on Wednesdays. However, we were diving most of the day so these extra folks had no impact on our stay.
Diving with Subway Water Sports was such a treat. Following breakfast at the resort, we did 2 morning dives, hurried back to have lunch at the resort, and then headed out for a third dive in the afternoon. The staff at Subway was very professional and friendly, even all the interns....special shout out to Krista, Emily, Emily, and Jill! It was quite interesting and unique in our dive experience to be with a dive shop that is also a teaching location. Very cool and hard not to want to stay on as an intern for 4 weeks. There was enough variety in the dives to keep us interested...walls, swim throughs, caves, cuts, etc. Didn't see a lot of big stuff (no shark sighting), but did get a few spotted eagle rays and a pilot fish that wanted to play with us. Subway staff sets up all your dive equipment and washes it following, unless you want to do it yourself. I say have at it, I'm on vacation : )
If you're looking for a high end, plush, and trendy resort then Turquoise Bay is not your thing. However, if you're looking for a small, quite resort set back from the touristy area with good diving and the opportunity to sit back and relax by the pool or beach while reading a book, then I'd say drop Jesus an email. He'll set you up.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Roatan's Northeast shore Turquoise Bay is the only dive resort in this lush and remote area of the island providing you with the opportunity to dive uncrowded, pristine dive sites. The resort is set on a hillside with spectacular ocean views and a protected bay which makes the water calm and perfect for swimming and kayaking. Beach lovers will enjoy our private, tranquil, 500 ft white-sand beach.At Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort you will enjoy the very individual and personal service that only a small dive resort can offer. Our friendly local staff takes pride in getting to know our guests and making them feel at home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turquoise Bay Hotel Roatan
- Turquoise Bay Roatan
- Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands