“Quiet and relaxing...”

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Oklahoma City, OK
“Quiet and relaxing...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

If you're looking for a REAL vacation (away from the noise, traffic, solicitors on the beach, loud parties and a DJ in the pool), this is the place!

The staff couldn't have been nicer (I know them all by name) or more accommodating. The rooms are not fancy, but very clean and well-maintained. I traveled here alone (female) and felt very comfortable and safe. The resort is about 45 minutes from West Bay West End (the party side of the island) and about 25 minutes from the airport. The main is newly paved and an easy drive to the resort.

I selected the "Beach" package and couldn't have been happier. Other guests there chose the "Dive" package and were equally thrilled. The food (three meals a day) was excellent and there was plenty of variety. However, it helps if you enjoy seafood! Like the rooms, the meals were not fancy, but very good. It felt very much like "grandma's cooking - island style."

The views and foliage are beyond believable. No picture online will do it justice! The resort is small (only 30 rooms) which I loved. I've already planned my next two trips to TB!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank CucinaGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
McMurray, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband I I spend a night here. The road down to the resort was gravel and could have used some work. The rooms are all a distance from the main office so you have a way to travel with your suitcase, gear, etc. The front desk will arrange for someone to bring your items to/from your room. The rooms all have a TV, give you shampoo, soap, etc. but there is no clock. If you need a wake up call they will send someone to your room in the morning. The staff are all excellent and go out of their way to make your stay memorable. The food is average.

Room Tip: Ask for a room located behind the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bonnie D
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My mother and I had heard great things about the reef and diving in Roatan, so we made our first trip and stayed here. It was like staying with family...nothing fancy, personalized and people cared to serve and know you. All our needs were met and then some. We had amazing views of the ocean from our villa and enjoyed being more remote and away from all the tourism and bustle of town. Even the 40 minute trip from the airport was enjoyable with great island views. We enjoyed the diving (separate review on Subway Watersports and this part of the reef) and then relaxed on the quite, private beach in hammocks. Dreamy. Yes, there are sand fleas in Roatan but nothing I couldn't handle with bug spray. My mom never sprayed and was never bothered. Food was varied, and we were always pleased with the offerings. We were not told about snacks being offered between the long five/six hour afternoon gap between lunch and dinner and didn't figure this out until day five when we saw someone on the beach being served food. When we asked, people seemed to be reserved as if they were trying to save money than provide what was actually offered in our all inclusive package. We wished dinner was served earlier...doesn't start until 7pm. Communication from management was subpar as they never shared if/what entertainment was provided after dinner in the evenings, and we missed all of them. We heard about several things that were in ill repair in rooms among our dive friends such as AC and hot water. Our safe and hair dryer needed repaired. However, all were corrected pretty quickly when staff was notified. Beds were very hard, but we adjusted after a few days. Even while being careful, we both suffered from stomach issues around day five or six which lasted about two weeks. We recommend bringing a personal water bottle as drinkable water is served from large jugs. Several visitors all left for the airport on the same day, and the staff's way of handling this was strange. In one van, they stuffed people in every spot but did not send their luggage. In our van they stuffed four people with everyone's luggage. Those who left first had to wait some time at the airport for their luggage before they could proceed to check in for their flights. We would return again for the peace, solitude and boutique diving, but I guess you have to know what you are signing up for. In our opinion, the pros far outweigh the cons.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Crystal J
Elverson, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

What a wonderful time! The place is beautiful, quiet and way off the beaten path. If you want great diving and a remote island vacation, this is your place. The dive crew really spoils you with their full service attention. The rooms are clean and the place is secure. They feed you 3 meals a day and the food is very diverse. We thought we ordered a room with a king size bed, but had 2 doubles instead and they actually put a king size bed in our room while we were out diving. I couldn't believe it! Plus we dove with the same group all week and made some great friends.

Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ann H
gsusRoatan, Manager at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hi Ann H,

Thank you for your feedback! We have shared them with our staff. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Our best wishes,

Jesus Reyes
Norwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was a diving vacation for our entire family. We had never been to Roatan so this was new for everyone. I am sorry to say it was not the best vacation. The diving was average. Divemaster advised the sealife has been over fished. That was clearly evident. The coral was very healthy. The dive boats were not in the best condition. The shop staff was great. In fact, no complaints about any of staff. They were the best part of this trip. One young woman even memorized the names of all the guests...yes it is a small resort. Couple significant issues. The beach has sand fleas. A really bad infestation. After the first day, we did not attempt to sit on the beach again even thouh we brought tons of bug spray and applied it every time we left our rooms. Each of our family members came down with dysentery. The water is not drinkable anywhere in Roatan. The hotel provided water pitchers in all the rooms and refilled them twice a day, but that did not resolve all the issues. I must then assume there was cross contamination in the food. Roatan is officially off my list of travel favorites. I will not go there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Girlface546
San pedro suka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I went with my family and friends, and we had such a good experience, the rooms, the service, the food, everything was great.

The beach is private and very safety we had a walk at the beach at 3:30am and was a beautiful experience definetly I would be back!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank kriziacornejo
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Went on a dive vacation with another couple. The resort is nice, private and quiet. The beach is private and beautiful. This resort is really geared more for divers. There is not much for non divers to do at the resort. The dive operation located on the property ( Subway ) was good however the dive boat provided for us did not offer any shade and barely fit the four divers, tanks and the dive master and boat captain. It was great having our own boat but would have preferred a bit more room and a bit of shade. Both the dive master and boat captain were very nice and helpful. The diving itself is not spectacular. Little marine life on all the divers.
The biting sand fleas, no-see-ums were very bad. It did not matter if we were at the pool or on the beach. I have been to Roatan before, stayed at a different resort and the biting insects were just as bad. So I do not blame Turquoise Bay Resort.
The food was good but would have liked to have more local dishes served. I can eat French fries at home. The staff was great, very nice, fun and friendly. I have no complaints with Turquoise Bay resort.
Not sure I would go to Roatan again mainly because of the biting fleas and because I was not impressed with the diving.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends