“Turquoise Bay Resort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
San Francisco, California
“Turquoise Bay Resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I am a SCUBA diver and I just returned from my fourth visit to Roatan. This was my first stay at Turquoise Bay.Previous visits were to Bay Island Beach Resort(closed), Coco View and Fantasy Island.
I thought the buffet style meals were satisfying. Good choice of vegetables and meats at all meals. The soups were good for every meal, some lacked a little seasoning. Servers were very prompt with beverage orders. Almost a little too prompt with dish removal! The meals were ready at the stated times, and the afternoon snack was a nice treat.
The pool servers were always ready for an order, whether it be iced tea or a nICE cold "Salva Vida".
Our room was clean, no mold in the bathroom and the AC worked great on the few nights we needed it. The ceiling fan was only one speed but quiet.
We couldn't get wifi in our room(some rooms did) but the bar lounge area was always available.

I would return and I would recommend for others.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 4 have great views of the beach and ocean, also a close walk to the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mad58285

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Merritt Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I don't know if I will have enough space to post all our feelings; however, I have been diving since 1972 and have never experienced the diving and structure offered on these reefs. Incredible!! Visibility over 150+, swim thru's, wreck, and a super Dive Master Selvin, and Captain JT. These two professionals made our week extremely memorable! Turquois Bay is the Jewel of the Caribbean.

The accommodations, staff, and food were wonderful, helpful, and always readily to please. We will be back, with a group next time!

Room Tip: All accommodations appeared to be the same, and a great value.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnMit75
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this as I lay down in bed, just off my return flight from Honduras where I enjoyed 4 wonderful days at turquoise bay. The beautiful, quiet location was perfect for a few days of relaxation an unwinding. Leave the computer and phone at home and enjoy the tropical beauty! My room (and it looked like most) overlooked the bay with a small balcony, so each mornin I woke up to sunshine a turquoise waters (hence the name). The food was very good and the kitchen alternates between a la carte menu items and serving buffet style. Breakfast was included in our package, but we opted to buy an all inclusive pass for $35 per person per day so all our meals were included as well as all we could drink (sooooo worth it - if, like me, you're from New Orleans). Their menu of tropical cocktails was quite good, although they varied slightly by bartender. I know...I tried them all.
There is also a good dive shop at the hotel. I dove with Osmann, who I highly recommend as a dive master. The prices were reasonable and the diving was fantastic (worlds second longest barrier reef).
Other than diving, there isn't much to do other than relax, so plan accordingly. There are free kayaks to use, and a volleyball court, but going into town is a solid 30 minute cab ride so it's not the place to stay if you're into late night clubs. Also, be ready for the sand fleas. We brought deet 30% wipes from an outdoor store that worked very well.
Without a doubt I will stay at turquoise bay again, the next time I'm in roatan.
Happy travels!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Alan D
Fort Collins, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed in a private home, but there was no beach there.

We heard about Turquoise bay and drove by one day to see if we could enjoy the beach.

The helpful concierge showed us to the beach and said we just needed to buy a drink to sit on the beach chairs.

The beach is artificially created but very pretty. The reef and bay keep the water calm although it was murky when I tried snorkeling in the beach area.

We had the place to ourselves for a few hours on a weekday and loved it. We didn't tour the property but from what we could see it was very nice and the staff was nice.

The pool area was not overcrowded the day we were there, but there were a lot of noisy kids by the pool.

I would certainly consider staying there, and if we go back to the home we rented we would come sit on the beach again.

I'll mark my comments on the accommodations as average because we did not sleep there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My friend and I started out on the wrong foot with Turquoise Bay Resort; i.e. they were almost 2 hours late picking us up at the airport. We couldn't complain too much because we were there thru an online deal. We were definitely grumpy about the lateness, to which the resort did not directly address, but certainly treaded cautiously. I only found the Resort listed in my travel guide after we arrived and it correctly alluded to the fact that the staff sort of lack luster. BUT, they are nice. And, after a few days of interaction, they warmed up to us and things got a lot better. I think a lot of it is culture and the product of working at an all inclusive resort. The food was adequate, maybe even above average for buffet style. The all inclusive was not part of our deal, but we did upgrade on the last day. The resort was very accomodating to our needs at this point. The grounds are nice. The rooms are clean. All the features of the room were in good working order. The beach is beautiful -- we much preferred spending time there over the more renouned West Bay of Roatan. They have a security guard at night. We felt very safe there. The associated Subway Watersports Dive Shop is right next door and a fun group of professional, responsible folks. The resort has quite a few kayaks and the bay is great for kayaking. I would recommend Turquoise Bay. Overall it was a comfortable, pleasant, clean place to stay with a real tropical, relaxed feel. I would also recommend that you rent a car, unless you only wish to dive and/or chill out in one spot the entire time you are there. You can't walk to any restaurants, shops, etc from there. We rented a car for one day, and that was sufficient for our 4 day stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed very good. There are a few that are next to the dive shop... good if you plan...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ShanieBartlett
JesusReyes4480, Manager at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Mrs. Bartlett,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. It indeed provides us very helpful feedback. We just want to say we're very sorry the transfer was late at your arrival, it was product of a communication error from our side. We will make sure it doesn't happen to any of our future guests.

Jesus Reyes
Operations Manager
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Is a really quite place with no crazy entertainment. If you are not into any kind of water sports, it will be very boring . Unless, u like to to read and sun bath on the beach the whole of your stay.The staffs are great. The food is not bad at all, lack variety but made up with taste. The reef is a bit far from the resort, have to pay everytime just to get out there to snokle. They should have some kind of deal for snokler that want to go out more than once. Love roatan, will be back, but not sure it would be the same resort. Don't get me wrong, nothing negative about the resort. Might just want to check out others in roatan.

• Stayed March 2013
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spend a week at the very nice Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan, Honduras. Quiet and small resort. Only 20 bungalows and just perfect for us divers. No animation and music on the resort and it is just PERFECT!! The food was just great and was friendly prepared by local chef. Subway Watersports dive centre right there on the spot. LIKE IT!!

Room Tip: All Bungalows are well located.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends