“Another great vacation at Turquoise Bay!”

Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I can not say enough good things about Turquoise Bay Resort (TBR)! My wife and I stayed at the resort from the the 17th of December 2012 until the 7th of January 2013, and this is our third time at TBR. In a "nut shell", all I can say about the resort is that it continues to improve year by year. This year, they added additional seating in each room, and as we were leaving they were replacing the desk in each room with a proper dresser with added storage. The resort is somewhat remote, and is a distance from the "touristy" west end area of the island. But, between the Sunwing representative and the staff offering suggestions for adventurous things to do, boredom is not a factor. TBR is an excellent location just to lay back and relax and "recharge the batteries". With the "Subway" Dive shop on the resort property, arranging for dive and snorkelling trips is easy and convenient. The resort, is small and "family owned" and the staff take great pride in the care of the property. To start with, the beach is extremely well maintained, as are the gardens. The staff is continually raking the beach, spraying the beach and gardens to supress the sand flies and doing whatever it takes to make it a pleasant environment. As I stated previously, this is a small "family owned" resort, with a small number of rooms, which for us was, and still is the attraction. The rooms are generous in size and are kept immaculate by Miss Ena and her wonderful co-workers. They have added to each room a love seat and as well the desk is being replaced with a dresser. One positive addition in the past year was a security safe in each room. All in all, the rooms are excellent, all with a view of the water and gardens. Our personal opinion is that rooms #1-#12 are the best and easiest to access, the others require a walk up a long flight of steps, but after the meals, sometimes you need that bit of exercise!

One area we thought could not be improved upon was the food, well, we were wrong! It keeps on getting better. The Chef, Juan Carlos has raised the bar again this year with the addition of local delights that everyone enjoyed. Breakfast is buffet style, with a variety of fruits, toast, cereals, and eggs made to order, Miss Brenda does a wonderful omlette made to your liking. Lunch is again buffet style with a selection to varied to mention, but it is always fresh and hot and there is always something to suit your tastes. Dinner is again buffet style, but with the addition of local delights, pasta night, or as at Christmas and New Years, there are always selections of fish, chicken and pork or beef and roast turkey. Now, I'm saving the most impressive aspect until the last ... the wait staff! In all my years of travel I have never met a wait staff as good as the one at TBR. The waiters do everything in their power to make your stay the most memorable. I will not mention them all by name for fear of leaving someone out, but I congratulate all of you for a job well done. I just can't begin to tell you how accomodating they are to make your time at TBR as relaxing as possible. I would suggest to all going there that a "tip" of some denomination would be greatly appreciated by the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Commercial Manager, Jesus Reyes and his assistant manager for taking the time to sit with us on several occassions and chat about what if anything they could do to improve the resort and and if anything that could be done to make our stay more enjoyable. Everyone who works at this resort should be commended for their dedication and hard work to make TBR the best resort on the island! And lastly, we will be back in December 2013 for another three weeks, we look forward to seeing all our friends again at that time.

Gary and Ann Maycock

Room Tip: Rooms #1 through #12 have the wasiest access although all romms are excellent with a view of the gar...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GaryM24

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had been thinking of going to Roatan for the last few years now and decided to try it this year because we can now fly to the island without going to the mainland first. We like to mix things up when we travel usually by staying in an all-inclusive for one week and either a Boutique hotel or a B&B for the second week so we can see more of the area and get a different flavour of wherever we go. Usually all-inclusive food gets to be a bit much after a week and I think most will agree with that. Turquoise Bay is a diver's destination so if that's what you are going for then apparently this is a great spot, however we just do some snorkelling and hang out at the Hotel or site see etc. This was great because most days we were the only ones by the pool or beach! We opted more for the Pool area because of a severe attack of sand fleas! They were by the pool too but not as bad, especially if you used many shots of bug spray. Beautiful beach with nobody on it! Too bad. The Hotel is small which is nice but everything needs major updating. The pool is lacking a lot of bottom paint and just looks like no one cares. The rooms are very minimal as far as amenities go. Noisy a/c, old and wierd coloured paint or chipped corners. I would rate this Hotel as a 2. Nice property but not great maintenance though. The people here are awesome! So happy and friendly. They really make the stay here an enjoyable time if you can get past the rest. The food int the restaurant is the same every day. Quality is ok but the selection due to the amount of rooms is very limited. It opens at 7 am and closes at 10 pm and at 10 pm the door is locked. No food, no drinks and no washrooms. Would we go back? No, because we seldom go back to the same place twice. This was still relaxing and we met some fantastic people which is more the reason we vacation.

Room Tip: Try for an end unit in the lower building
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bratty6
JesusReyes4480, Manager at Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Hello Bratty6!

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We're happy to read that overall you had a good time. We will let our staff know the comments on your experience regarding the service. We are aware the pool needs a repaint, as a matter of fact, it had to be done a couple of weeks ago but the rain has stopped us, we sure will have it done soon. Same with the painting on the room walls and we'll revise our menu that week with the chef. We'll go over the spraying procedure on the beach for the sand fleas. Let me also inform that in the next few weeks we will be adding to our rooms a 6 drawer dresser.

We hope to have you back to enjoy our island!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't say enough good things about Turquoise Bay! The people who work here are fantastic & go above and beyond what is expected! The grounds are beautiful. The beach is perfect and the reef is just a kayak ride away! Although this resort isn't in the popular West Bay area, you really don't need to leave it! Everything you want to do can be done right at the resort away from the crowds. The rooms are well spread out and quiet. The only recommendation is if you are over 60 ask for a room on the lower level. My girls, 11 and two 15 year olds loved the turtles and had a great time at the resort even though they were the only kids. The only complaints we have about Roatan have nothing to do about the resort! The sand fleas are biting machines, make sure you bring spray no matter where you stay on Roatan. We felt so welcomed at Turquoise Bay! Oh , the last comment I have to make is not once did the staff expect tips ... we practically had to chase them down to give them one.

Room Tip: If you are older or have trouble walking ask for a lower level room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Francine1969
Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you want serenity and quiet, Turquoise Bay is the place for you. If you want booming music, an animation team trying to get you to participate in all manner of activities and disco till dawn, this is not the place for you.

It was our first time at a resort this size and I must say the service is comparable, if not better, than resorts of a larger size.

Staff are attentive and friendly. When we had an issue with our room, staff was right there and addressed the problem.

We went to dive and, after reading some reviews I emailed the hotel in advance of our stay and requested a room nearer the dive shop. That request was accommodated without issue. Next time we visit, I would probably request one of the other rooms.

Our air conditioner was in our room in the wall. it was a bit noisy. However we also had a ceiling fan, so for sleeping that seemed sufficient. Likely in summer months, the air conditioner would have to be on at night. When we walked around the resort, other rooms had their air conditioners outside so likely quieter.

There were 2 big drawers in our room - it was sufficient for us, along with the closet and hangers, but if you take alot of clothes it might be a challenge. This is not a resort where you need to "dress" for dinner.

Our room was spacious. We did not have a private balcony, but a shared veranda/walkway to our room on the second floor. We asked for some chairs outside our door and were given very nice chairs to relax in at the end of our day. At the end of our week, we hung our wetsuits over the railing, with no issues.

We were very close to the dive shop which made carrying gear very easy. This block of rooms (we were in 27) were behind the main building so there was some noise in the a.m. with activities/staff getting started (around 6 a.m.).

The resort is about a 35 minute drive from the airport. While we were there, they were having some difficulties with one of the dryers, so getting replacement beach towels was not guaranteed at every time of day - go first thing in the a.m or later in the day and all is well.

there is a very good beach at the resort. Kayaks are available for use.

Sand flies are always an issue in our experience in Roatan. This time we took deet 30% which helped alot but didn't prevent all bites. Everyone reacts differently to the bites - take something to counteract the itching. Antihistamene and calamine lotion worked well for me. I sprayed over sunscreen and again before going for dinner in the evening.

The food was very nice. I don't go on vacation to eat so my requirements are pretty basic, however, the food was hot, well made, well seasoned and with enough variety in my view. At breakfast, there were eggs made to order. At lunch and dinner, there were always salad fixings and soup. There were usually 2 or 3 choices of main, whether beef, pork , shrimp or chicken and nicely flavoured. We had some excellent shrimp dishes during our stay. One night we had pasta made on the spot with choice of sauce and topping - fresh and hot. Our divemaster speared some lionfish during our excursions and the kitchen was happy to make it up for us.

The staff obviously made an effort in the dining room to prepare the tables in a pleasing manner. Restaurant and bar staff were very attentive to getting drinks. Staff would be coming around to the chairs by the pool and beach to refill drinks.

The pool area had solid wooden lounges with a cushion. We never had difficulty in getting a chair by the pool. The pool was very clean. It is probably time to repaint the bottom of the pool.
Lots of chairs on the beach with shades available.

We enjoyed our diving experience once on the boats with Subway Diving. It is on site at the resort and very convenient. The office seemed a bit disorganized however our divemaster and boat captain were great. We had wonderful dives.

We met wonderful people at the resort, many of the guests were on repeat visits and for extended holidays.

We would go back.

While not a resort issue, I will comment on checking in for our return flight. We went with Sunwing - which is great for divers as you get an extra bag for your dive gear PLUS an extra 20kg for each dive gear bag. At the airport in Roatan they will weigh your carryon and limit you to the 5 kg. We carry our regs in our carryon which adds to weight. Coming back we ended up checking my husband's carry on to meet requirements. Just be aware this might occur.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank boyfrombarrie
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Turquoise Bay offered enough variety and entertainment for my companion and me over two weeks. The primary attractions of this resort for us were seclusion and marine life. The setting is great, food and beverage staff are attentive and friendly, the dive operation is top notch, the marine environment is still vital (though fish stocks are depleted) and Turquoise Bay is just a great location to chill. The road up to the highway has the grade of a ski slope and off-resort options are pricey. Car rental ($55 a day) is an option for a day trip (we walked around the nearby communities of Oak Ridge, Jonesville and Punta Gorda). Sand fleas are troublesome at the beach and even up at the restaurant verandah, so bring plenty of DEET. Snorkelers who kayak for 15 minutes reach a clear-water fore-reef with lots to explore. Divers should bring enough cash to cover their dive expenses, or accept a credit card surcharge of about 15%.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank camdived
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We have been going to Roatan for 15 years now, with 1 to 2 trips per year. Therefore, we have tried many different areas and hotels and dive shops. This was our first trip to Turquoise Bay and we were pleasantly surprised. The setting is beautiful, the care in the upkeep is obvious. Postcard beautiful ! The rooms are American sized with ample space to move around, and in-room safes. The food was very good. We ate from the buffet one week, and from the menu the second week.
The dive shop is run beautifully. Just bring your fins, mask and wetsuit to the boat, everything else is set up for you. The dive sites are nearby, with care to make sure you don't repeat sites, unless you request to do so. We were able to dive our computers with many 70 minute dives.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Jack W
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I traveled to Turquoise Bay by myself in July of 2012. When they call it the slow season, they really mean it. My first two days there was a large group at the resort, after that I was practically alone at the resort - only a small handful of rooms were occupied.

I wanted a quiet resort, but this was too quiet. It is far from the West End and West Beach and there is no town, shop or restaurant that you can walk to from the resort. There is a nice restaurant a short drive away, but everything else is a hike.

The rooms are basic, but large and comfortable. The views are spectacular. The resort cat adopted me for the week and slept on my bed. I wouldn't normally watch television while on vacation, but I was there during the olympics, so I was happy to have one in my room with American stations.

The restaurant offers some very tasty food, but service is ridiculously slow. There were days that it was a close shave to get lunch and get back to the dock for the afternoon dive. On days when there was a buffet the experience was far superior. The wait staff was friendly and helpful. My only big complaint was that I was up early every day and would head over to the dining room to grab some coffee which was never ready. You would think after the second day of my showing up at the same time that on the third day they would put the coffee on earlier to have it ready. Also, they have one large commercial coffee pot and once it is gone it has to go through the full, long brew cycle until more is ready.

Subway Dive Shop provided a first rate dive experience. I had not been diving in a number of years and was very nervous about getting back in the water. The staff and dive master trainees were very helpful and encouraging. I had a wonderful time.

I did take one day off from diving and a member of the dive shop staff recommended a driver to take me around the island. I highly recommend this. I checked out the West End of the island, and spent the morning zip lining, but the driver also showed me neighborhoods where people live.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo