“Relaxing, Tranquil, and Beautiful.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort

Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Longmont, Colorado
“Relaxing, Tranquil, and Beautiful.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our family’s favorite private beach resort yet with a great spread out design that compliments the natural vegetation. Beach and pool offered safe fun for our six year old daughter and plenty of room to walk around and enjoy the tropical views. The staff was friendly and attentive, but sometimes a little slow which reminded us we were on vacation time. Food was a good blend of native dishes and fresh ingredients without being too extreme. Rooms are clean, spacious, and inviting but a little sparse on furniture, although we did not notice too much as we spent most of the time outside enjoying paradise. From being picked up and dropped off at the airport by a resort driver our vacation was completely relaxing and made even better with the cost being relatively inexpensive for an all-inclusive package.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jevanber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I visited Turquoise Bay Resort from August 15-29th 2012. The resort is small however what it lacks for in size it makes up for in hospitality. The personnel are very accommodating and are focused on providing top notch service. I have been to many resorts in the south and the quality of the food at Turquoise Bay was superior. Quality and quantity was certainly taken care of. ( I chose the resort as I am a diver and a premiere dive shop operates there. Subway Watersports. Ask for Kim.)
I was served many times by Julie, Edegar, Oscar, Pablo, and Kervie (he ALWAYS has a smile on his face !!) They all made my meals pleasant and were happy to take time to chat at any time. The Manager, Jesus, also took the time to sit and check to see if everything was perfect with the meals, accommodations, or anything on your mind. I found everyone t to be so friendly.
Housekeeping was superb, and I cannot say enough about how efficient they were.
Check in Check Out very easy and efficient. The rooms each have their own AC unit and very easy to adjust. Worked great.

In summary a great little resort to kick back and relax.

Room Tip: Rooms 1-12 have a front row view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Vernon M
Richmond, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a great place as long as you realize that you are visiting a developing country with infrastructure limitations and a laid-back pace to life. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. Service was slow by American standards, but if you anticipate this, you acclimate to the island's pace and it becomes a real vacation. The staff did honor all reasonable requests and were extremely pleasant and fun. The food was excellent, portions were generous and they accommodated multiple dietary restrictions.

Our group rented a car arranged through the front desk at $45-$50/ day and explored the island as well as diving. Dollars are welcome anywhere on the island, and Turquoise Bay used the daily exchange rate (19.XX) as opposed to simply rounding up to 20 lempira. It's a good idea to bring a lot of US singles for tipping.

Room Tip: Seems all rooms have a great view of the bay, a ceiling fan and A/C. Sometimes the fan and the breez...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank a b
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I just spent a week at the Resort diving and relaxing while Hurricane Ernesto pounded the Caribbean.

The resort staff were hard working and professional. The facility was clean and the food was very good. Since we were a big dive group, we were served buffet style. There were plenty of options to satisfy picky eaters, and always some local fare to sample and enjoy. The grounds were well kept. There were the sand flies, but they did not bother me as much as my daughter and others. Bring bug spray, but be warned that it may not work all that well. I did not use it often, and still they did not bother me - much. The rooms were clean with only a few small issues to deal with, like Geckos in the rooms that would screech at night while I was trying to sleep, an ant swarm that landed on my doorstep during a rain storm (the staff took care of it right away, and I did not smell bug spray when I tried to enter my room) and a room safe needed new batteries, which the front office supplied. The rooms had minimal furniture with only one desk/chair, the beds and a night stand. We could have used a table or another desk. The TV, coffee maker and water tray took up more than half the desk as it was. I only had room for my laptop.

The dive shop was also professional and competent. The local dive masters and boat captains were full of stories and interesting facts about their native island. They were well acquainted with the dive sites we were shown. When the hurricane storm surge was hitting the island, Subway Watersports moved their boats to the other side of the island and bused us to the boat to dive, making the other dive shops on the south side angry because they cancelled their scheduled dives. The 4 dives we did on the south side were well worth the effort, and were some of the best dives of the week. The only issue I had is that they dropped my daughters weight pocket and broke the clasp, making it useless to use in her BC. They did not take any responsibility for it, and I did not push the issue. We were required to handle all our own gear except for the BC, weights and regulators. They handled these a little roughly in my opinion, but this was done mainly by interns who were working towards their dive master certifications. The interns were helpful, but were only temporary staff, some being there for only a week before moving on to other shops. The shop manager, Kimberlie, and her assistant were very helpful and easy to work with and were diligent in addressing any issues we brought to them. The dive shop had individual lockers for your gear and the shop and lockers were locked up every night when the shop closed. They kept the shop open on the one night we did a night dive until we returned.

Be prepared to bring small bills to tip the wait staff as they serve you. They don't share tips and the resort will pass on any tips you give to them to their staff. Everyone needs to be tipped, including the room maids, your servers (like a $1.00 each time they bring you a drink), the boat captain and the dive master at the end of the week. A trip into town is also pricy. It cost a group of 5 of us $20 each for a trip to West End to go to the Dolphin Encounter. They driver waited for us, but I thought $100 is pretty steep for a drive of that distance. The hotel staff indicated this was a good deal. He did not get a tip. Even the bag handlers at the airport expect tips (that is their primary source of revenue).

Overall, I enjoyed this trip very much. I would do it again.

Room Tip: Room 1-4 have great views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Phillip A
Evansville, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

As a single diver looking for a safe place to travel alone,this resort was recommended by Jan at Caribbeandivervacations within a resonable budget all inclusive.Good choice. I wasnt looking for night life or frills just open ocean and the dive shop was open to anything the divers wanted. I slept through the morning call so they sent me out on a private dive off a near by reef.The hotel staff was very friendly the food acceptable and a sweet yellow hotel cat greeted me each morning at the doorstep reminding me of home. I highly recommend the Lionfish license from the island's wildlife officer.Its was an excellant course for advanced divers only.We can hardly make a dent on the Lionfish population but we should make an effort.The moray eels enjoyed my few successes also
Bring cash as there isnt near by bank for leaving tips for the wait staff and there an exit fee from the island also cash only. Again; good diving, pleasant staff, relaxing and very secluded with a very sweet yellow kitty cat who purrs when petted

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank ballerina_1852
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a group from the U.S. and a group from Honduras meet in Roatan at Turquoise Bay Resort for a Board Meeting. It was a wonderful place for a mix of business and relaxation. The property is gorgeous and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had all of our meals at the resort and the food was delicious. The rooms were charming and clean. Many in our group enjoyed having the dive shop on the property. I would definitely go back there for vacation!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 406Traveler
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just returned from a six day stay with Turquoise Bay, and I am very happy with my vacation. Turquoise Bay is a relaxed, secluded little operation in its own corner of paradise, which was exactly what I wanted. If you're looking for luxe spa pampering and nightlife - you should look elsewhere. I traveled in July, which is low season for Roatan, and there were only two or three other families at Turquoise Bay at any time during our stay. It felt like we had our own private little beach house for the week! Here are a few notes on the specifics:

1. Service - the staff is very friendly and will make every effort to accommodate your needs. They're not always super fast, but you're in paradise, you can afford to relax a bit! Jesus the manager is very nice and responsive. I asked him to put together a special dinner for my boyfriend's birthday, and he really came through - they set up a private dinner in a gazebo that overlooks the bay, with torches, wine, a fabulous seafood dinner, and our own waiter! And all for a very reasonable price.

2. Diving - I already wrote a review for Subway Watersports that is right next door, and they really are a five start operation with fantastic service.

3. Location - Turquoise Bay is in a secluded spot, and it was low season while we were there (July). The views are stunning and the hotel has it's own little beach. It's a bit rocky and you will definitely want to wear your bug spray - beware the sand flies! You will have to drive far if you want to go to bars and check out West End or West Bay. I would recommend getting a rental car through the front desk - the rental agency will deliver it directly to the hotel, with rates at ~$40-50 a day.

4. Rooms - the accommodations are pretty basic, but completely sufficient and comfortable. Every room has a postcard-worthy view of the beach.

5. Food - surprisingly good. Who would've thought that this little hotel could turn out some perfectly executed chicken cordon bleu and pasta bolognese? It's not high end dining here, but it is hearty, homey, and yummy.

Room for improvement - the hotel should stock some basics like toothbrushes, toothpaste, bugspray, etc. in the little store by reception. The nearest market is really far away, and for the poor peeps that either forget something or didn't get their luggage delivered (what happened to us), just a few basics could save us from having to take an unnecessary trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple