“OMGOSH!”
Review of Hobbies Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roatan
Hobbies Hideaway
Ranked #6 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
Reviewed October 2, 2012

what a vaca! stayed 9/8-29/12 - best 3 weeks! john and sue are wonderful people! this was first time to travel to honduras and my apt was just like i pic in my mind. hobbies is not for everyone but if you're looking for peace - off the beaten path - no crowds - dont mind crabs, lizards and security ... dogs - look no further. this place is great! apt kitchen has everything - cof maker, toaster, large fridge w/ice trays (fill them w/filter water and freeze - water provided by hobbies) microw, blender all dishes/pots and surprise elect griddle! bedroom has a/c that gets cold - i turned it off during the day when i was not there and w/ceiling fan and stand fan - apt stayed cool during the day, but at night a/c had to be on. they also have wifi. john has even started his own island and fishing tours - i chose island tour - it was great - i went from west bay all the way to east end of island with stops to eat and souv shop - really liked going w/john - he knows the language, culture, local places to go and can drive! some of the taxis are down right scary! try temporary cals rest. for yummo spicy shrimp and rum punch - in west end eat at coconut tree rest. owner vincent serves the best shrimp salad w/strawberry dressing drizzled on top. then go for the best fresh mango margaritas w/season salt around rim - (dont use a straw) at ms jenny's sports bar and grill! even snorkled spooky channel w/john and local helper anthony-(who btw, if your looking for party - he knows!) and even though i was scared - no one hurried or rushed me - they let me hold on to the boat as long as i needed to feel comfortable and when i did get brave - omgosh - beautiful! didnt even stop when it started downpouring! we went to west bay by boat and i even got to drive - now that was scary for everyone else. sitting on the dock at night is erie - its so dark - i mean dark! another local rocky bought homemade hotsauce and tortillas - flour & corn and even cooked his famous fried pork - great!! lady and son bought fresh fish (shrimp, lobster, snapper, conch, oct, king crab and other seafood) right to hobbies - cooked on the charcoal grill almost everynight. grocery shopping is an adventure - get extra OFF - deep woods - w/lots of deet, i cooked alot so i bought charcoal/lighter, lots of paper towels, onions, garlic, tomatos, couple of potatos, bacon/eggs/bread/butter and lots of limes! more rum!!! thanks again john and sue for a wonderful time - i'll be back next september! penny

Room Tip: all apts are just steps from the beach. spray bug spray often - no-see-ums will get you - if you do...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank onecentntx
HobbiesPlace, Owner at Hobbies Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Wow!! Thank you for such a complete review. As you and other guests have discovered,
Hobbies Highway is unique in offering more of the island to our guests at reasonable costs.
Hospitality is not measured with stars. Anywhere on the island one will be part of the ecologial
inhabitants. Land Crabs are eaten on the island by islanders and are quite tasty. They are nocturnal. No see-ums are pests during the early morning and at dusk. During the day they bury themselves back in the sand beaches. Best" STOP" is coconut oil and bug spray. They soon go away. Taxi drivers are indeed the real pirates. As you know charging unsuspecting tourist out rageous taxi fares. We keep our tour services to a fare price for all. Thank you for touring the island with us. We wish you could return before next year.We realy enjoyed your company and Hondo still goes to your apartment door looking for his breakfast

There are newer reviews for Hobbies Hideaway

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Owners John and Sue could not have been more kind, generous, and accommodating during my weeklong stay at Hobbies Hideaway this September. My clean and quiet one-bedroom condo was an excellent value, and the reef out front, which I snorkeled every day for hours, was filled with Roatan’s spectacular variety of marine life. The turtles are always my favorites! Thanks John and Sue for my special birthday dinner. That was a real treat! I hope to be back again soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
HobbiesPlace, Owner at Hobbies Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hello Mr M. thank you for still thinking of us after your stay at our beach location. As we advertise,you were not disappointed. We are very happy that you enjoyed yourself in our slice of paradise. Thank you for the review.You do love the reef and the marine life. Part fish you are, EH. Please come back again,we really enjoyed your company.
Sincerely ,John and Sue

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Before I go into why I enjoyed Hobbie's so much, let me first address those who may be looking for luxury accomodations - look elsewhere, because Hobbie's is not fancy (no pool, no exercise room, no spa), it's not luxurious, and if you're going to freak out if you see an ant or a gecko in your room, this is NOT your kind of place! Hobbie's is right on the beach with a good deal of undeveloped land around it, so there's going to be a bit of nature that will periodically try to sneak into your apartment (one night, I spotted something scuttling across the floor which turned out to be a land crab!). Also, because the running water in the apartment for washing dishes and bathing is salty (purified fresh drinking water is provided), the metal pans and flatwear have a few spots of rust on them (even stainless steel rusts when it is repeatedly exposed to salt water). The rust is not going to hurt you, but again, if you're in the market for sparkling, luxury accomodations, this is not the place for you.

So now let me talk about why I absolutely loved Hobbie's Hideaway. Hobbie's is very quiet, very relaxing, has an incredible location, and all of this is enhanced by the great service provided by the owners John and Sue. I stayed this past week and was there when Hurricane Ernesto passed by Roatan. Despite the high winds and thunder storms in the area, I barely knew there was a storm outside because my 1 bedroom apartment was so quiet. Because there are very few other rentals in the immediate vicinity, I probably saw fewer than 20 other people on the beach around Hobbies the whole week I was there and many times when I was on the beach or pier, I was the only one. The two-level deck at the end of the pier is a great place to get some sun, hang out in the hammock, watch the sunset, or look at the sky at night (the stars really stand out because it gets DARK at night - there are very few man-made light sources in the area).

The barrier reef is easily reached by swimming or kayaking (a 2-person kayak is available at Hobbie's for free use by their guests) from the shore or pier and provides excellent snorkeling or scuba diving. In addition to my own snorkeling ventures, John took me out in his boat to another excellent site on the reef one of the days I was there - at no charge! I was amazed at how good the visibility on the reef was, even right after the Hurricane had passed. The storm did slightly lower the water clarity, but it was still excellent by my standards, and I have done a considerable amount of snorkeling in the Florida Keys, Belize, and Hawaii.

John took me to the grocery store shortly after my arrival so I could stock up on whatever I wanted and I could have easily stayed right there at Hobbie's and had the best vacation I can remember, but I did venture out to see some of the rest of the island. Here again, Hobbie's has a great location. It's easy to catch a taxi by simply walking out to the highway and flagging one down. The taxis will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go, just negotiate your price upfront. From Hobbie's to West End (where there are several good places to eat and drink as well as to schedule dive trips, etc.) is probably a 10 minute drive and the going rate was about $2 (US) each way. If you want to go to West Bay Beach, you can catch a water taxi from West End for $3 each way. So, you're close to the action and it's inexpensive to get to when you're ready for it, but you're far enough away that you won't have any crowds to deal with when you want peace and quiet.

John and Sue were readily available anytime I needed anything, yet they were also completely unobtrusive. They always gave me good recommendations for things to see and do and even provided me with a cell phone for making calls in general, but also said to call them if I needed anything. They really go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DrBest
HobbiesPlace, Owner at Hobbies Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Hello Mr G. Thank you very much for your review. Your unbias opion is very valueable to Hobbies Hideaway. thank you for staying with us in a tropical ecologial setting as you have reported. The benefits of cost savings and our pristine area along with a few critters (HA) does far exceed other areas of Roatan. We are very pleased you enjoyed Roatan and Our location. On your return visit with us we are now providing a island tour service for your convience.
Hopefully we can extended a greater service to you for your next visit.
Sincerely ,Johjn and Sue

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Talk about host n hostesses , john and sue rock..they took us under their wings and took such great care of us the day we missed the boat.fortunately for us they had a great one bedroom furnished apartment to stay in and also went way out-of-the-way to help us ,we miss the ship and John took us to immigration and spent half a day getting us legally into the country .dealing with having to explain to the immigration our situation ,helping us out ,taking us into town to get toothpaste and toothbrushes ect ect.. and going beyond what we ever expected and he smiled and was positive at all times. Relieving our stressful situation. then he drove us back to our apartment and his sweet wife sue found me some of johns finest clothes to wear.UNBELIEVABLE hosts .we actually stayed for about ten days and loved our new friends john and sue. john nicknamed us the castaways.and we even got our name on one of his bar chairs,,,We always say things happen for a reason and the reason was hobbies hideaway we loved it so much we went back a month later and took my partners son and fiancé and this time stayed in the two bedroom apartment . John took us out on the boat to the beautiful reef it was great it was a beautiful place Susan and Julie will be back again.hobbies is truly a great hideaway and a great getaway .

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed July 24, 2012

st returned last night from my return visit to Hobbie's Hideaway...and as in the past, LUV LUV LUV'd it! Was a first time visit for my teenage son and he decided mom had picked an awesome place to stay with great Hosts! John & Sue were great! Hondo and Taboo make ya feel safe and secure! The grounds are beautifully kept, desks offer amazing views of the ocean and sunsets. I love coming to Hobbie's not only for the great prices, hosts and guard dogs, but it is like a one stop shop and takes away the hassle in time in hunting places to rent this or that to have a little fun. John took us out to area reefs the first day for a bit of snorkeling, with gear they let you use. We snagged one of the kayaks a few mornings for early adventure in the mangroves up the coast. They let my son use some fishing gear and he caught us dinner off the dock. Being a teenager and not too sure on how to clean the unique fish, John jumped right in and gave him a quick lesson while he cleaned Coady's catch! Sue was always wearing a smile and the add-ons she made us for meals to give what we cooked some local flavor was AWESOME! Have John make ya up some Conch Fritters....the best! Such a great place, great people....Couldn't have asked for anything better!! Until October rolls around...will miss my little piece of heaven at Hobbie's Hideaway!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2012

John & Sue welcomed us and treated us like family. They both went way out of the way to make sure everything went right on our vacation. Being new to the island they took the time to let us know what we should do and they explained things to us about the island.
It was a nice quiet location right on the beach, and minutes away from Coxen Hole, & West End.
Very peaceful being out on their pier and enjoying the sun. They advertise their many amenities, but go way over and beyond what they list. It was great to have use a cell phone and computer to be able to contact our kids at home. The boat tour by John was awesome. The meal Sue served us one night was delicious. Loved the use of the kayak to go to the mangrove and reef.
Would definitely stay there again unless Sylvester Stallone invites us over to his place. HA! HA!
Thanks for such a memorable vacation!!
Mike & Janet
From: Wisconsin

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeandJanet2012
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Hobbies Hideaway surely was the vacation of a lifetime. Was secluded away from the busy parts of the Island. Just a short taxi ride for $1.50 would take you to where the nightlife was full of drink, bands and dancing. I spent every day going to different parts of the Island but was always happy to come back to Hobbies Hideaway to see the most incredible sunsets at the end of the pier. The apt that I was provided, was beach front. Getting up each morning with my cup of coffee, I would walk the beach. John and Sue were awesome and willing to make my stay a very pleasant one. I would recommend Hobbies Hideaway for anyone that prefer to be in a more private setting. I will be going back again to Roatan and will be looking forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo