“John and Sue are awesome!”
Review of Hobbies Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roatan
Hobbies Hideaway
Ranked #6 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Even though its been awhile since I have been in Roatan, and stayed at Hobbies last year, I have still kept in touch with John and Sue. John was a great help recently getting food and supplies to the Majken Broby orphange in Gravel Bay. Even though I am in Texas, John so graciously coordinated getting the supplies they needed immedietly.

I encourage anyone thinking about visiting Roatan, stay at Hobbies Hideaway in Sandy Bay. John and Sue are terrific host and can arrange many island activities. I hope to be making it back to the island in Spring for another visit and will stay at Hobbies.

Also if you have any spare change or extra room in your luggage, take some items to the orphanage www.roatanchildrenshome.com keeps a updated list of current needs.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank tejas01

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My family and I had many great adventures on Roatan from this private beachfront hideaway. Many of them similar to the previous reviews so I won't bore anyone with repitition. John and Sue really went out of their way to make our stay a great experience. We have come away from Roatan with some great friends and good stories. I will be recommending John and Sue to my friends and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Adventure-adventure
HobbiesPlace, Owner at Hobbies Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Thank you for your review M and E. It guests like you who make our life rewarding. Thank you for staying with us. Your suggestions on things to do for new vistors will be put in place. I am certainly happy we had a chance to take you out in the boat. That is something all are quest enjoy and will continue when possible. Thank you for telling your friends about your experiences with H.H.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

I've stayed at this lovely apartment/bar/restaurant and I can tell you its being discovered! Sue & John know how to treat their guests and you will never go away hungry or less than amused and happy. Great storytellers, great people and the accommodations are just right no matter how large or small your travel party is.

Room Tip: Downstairs room closest to bar is a wonderful cozy aprtment. And the bar doesn't stay awake all...
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank GastroKitty
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We had a fantastic time staying at Beachcombers (Hobbies Hideaway). John and Sue were great hosts, very friendly and catered to all our needs. They have an amazing location in Sandy Bay, overlooking the beach with plenty of activities to keep you active. Free kayaking, snorkling gear etc and a great reef which you can swim to from the pier directly out from the apartment.
The restuarant at Beachcombers (Sunshine Cafe) is also fantastic and serves very tasty and large Tex Mex meals at very affordable prices, and seafood dishes can be made to order .. The 3 lobster tales were great. Kenny and Kathy whom run the resturant are very friendly and happy to make anything you desire.
Its a short taxi to West end and West bay, and we would definately recomend hiring a car for the day to visit the other end of the island which is less developed.
I definately recomending staying with John and Sue at Beachcombers if your looking for a more personal and private vaccation with your own private beach rather than the commercial Hotels found in West Bay ... or even dropping into Sunshine Cafe for a very tasy meal.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2011

As they were not full I was given the large downstairs apartment. The hosts were friendly, cooked good meals and bar always open. The all you can eat seafood weekly special was great an brought in a fun crowd. Cabs were easy to get if you needed a lift to the more commercial west end. weather did not cooperate as it rained and was chilly every other day but that's mother nature! Hosts even git me in touch with a friend who had horses and as I try and ride on every trip, I looked her up and we along with a native Honduran guy had a great all day ride! I also dove with Lemon Tree divers. Good trip but check your stuff...mine was missing the wet suit! But thankfully water was warm enough. Stay at Hobbie's!

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank xhileration
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My wife and I spent three weeks at hobbies hideaway in march 2011. this was our second time to Roatan. Our first time we stayed in west bay beach. West bay beach is argubly the best beach on the island but we will be returning this march for another stay with John and Sue at Hobbies hide away on sandy beach. Why? Because we really like the location and the hospitality that John and Sue provide. The beach out front of the restaraunt and suites has beatifull nice sand but the water at the edge of beach is full of sea grass. Many people veiw this as a negative but I realize that this is a real possitve because the reaf on this part of the island is alive and well and is continuing to grow. We spent several days not leaving the resort . On a bad day we might of had to share the beach with 3 or 4 others instead many hundred on cruise ship days at west bay beach. The resort is centrally located on the island only a five dollar cab ride to most popular spots on the island or the local bus/van one dollar.The snorkeling out front of the resort is excellent and can be easily swam to from the wonderfull dock out front of the resort.. probably the best snorleing on the entire island is in sandy bay area. A couple to try are hobies cut and wall. Also no trip to Roatan would be complete without checking out spooky channel. this channel is acessable from the beach and is about a kilometer from hobbies. what makes this channel so special is that it is only about 6 to 20 feet wide. the coral on either side basically goes almost to surface of the water but the channel is upto 150 feet deep thus it gets its name spooky because it is. The channel leads you to reef wall which is simply spectacular The suites are very comfortable with full kitchens. There are a couple ofgrocery stores within a ten minute ride. The restaraunt bar out front has a good selection of reasonably priced meals to choose from. The best part of the resort other than the location are the owners John and Sue. They truly treat each guest as a more of friend and a relative then a guest. Please note Roatan is in the caribean so you will find the island has many sand flies and other critters such as newts and gecho's which were here long before us which we must be willing to share paradise with. If you happen to see a gecho in the bar this is a good thing because they eat mosquitoes and sand flies

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Charley37
Reviewed August 1, 2011

When you research on Trip Advisor, pick highly rated lodgings, love them, then return to post a review, it's hard to come up with positive things that haven't been said over and over. That's the case right now for me and this review of Hobbies Hideaway. In summary:
:: the beach is beautiful
:: the owners, Sue and John, couldn't be more helpful
:: our apartment was spacious, well appointed, comfortable, and a bit funky (in other words, perfect)
:: the snorkeling was FANTASTIC!

We shopped in Coxen Hole at Plaza Mar and prepared all but a couple of our meals in the apartment kitchen; we ate a dinner and a breakfast at the Sunshine Cafe just outside our door and enjoyed both. My husband fished every day with only minimal success but loved the hunt. I dove 3 times with a neighbor named Holly who is setting up a dive shop next door (wonderful) and snorkeled to my heart's content - I spent more than 4 hours a day in the water. It was an easy and interesting 5 minute swim over turtle grass to the house reef. Although the reef gets a lot of pressure, the fish populations were strong and we saw some really special critters in addition to the usual cast of reef fish; I identified nearly 100 species. Highlights were eagle rays, sting rays, triggerfish, lots of juvenile damsels and butterflies, gorgeous angels, huge barracuda and porcupine fish, and recurring visits with a school of ENORMOUS rainbow parrot fish, 4-5 feet long (see photos).

Sandy Bay is a good base, a bit secluded (in a good way) yet within easy reach of Coxen Hole for banking and groceries and West End andWest Bay (though we didn't set foot in either this trip). I spent one morning hiking in the beautiful Carambola Reserve again this visit.

Hobbies Hideaway is a beautiful, inexpensive, comfortable home away from home with a gorgeous reef an easy swim away - highly recommended!

Room Tip: Spend as much time on the reef as you can - you'll see something new every time!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple