“Paya Bay - relaxation, inspiration, adventure, romance, style, family - home” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paya Bay Resort

and 1 more site!
Paya Bay Resort
Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Paya Bay – relaxation, inspiration, adventure, romance, style, family - home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

This was my second trip to Paya Bay. My wife and I made our first trip about 2 years ago and we were seriously impressed with the quality of our stay. We made this second trip in an attempt to re-capture that experience. We were NOT disappointed.

This time we chose to attend during a 'Naturist week' and it was a real treat. My wife and I both have high stress careers in Los Angeles and can assure you there is nothing like a day spent naked on one of the many postcard perfect beaches here to reach a state of relaxation that is otherwise unattainable. Throw in a couples beach-side massage and life just doesn't get better. My wife's favorite activity was the daily nude yoga performed just before sunset followed by a dip to cool off. For those “on the bench” about naturist weeks (or traveling with families), do not fear - there is nothing weird or “off kilter” here. It is simply awesome. You will have no regrets choosing this or any other theme week.

I think you could spend a year at Paya Bay and have adventure every day. The trip out to Pigeon Cay is a MUST. It is seriously like something off a movie set. The diving in this area remains pristine. Though we had originally scheduled 4 days of scuba, we ended up having Tom captain us around to freedive local reefs the last 2 days 'naturist style' instead. It was some of of the best diving I have ever experienced. (and as a competitive freediver I dive a LOT).

The resort itself is not new but has lots of Caribbean style, is clean, charming, and sees continual improvement. Since my original trip they had added a beach-side non-chlorinated pool. It was perfect for quick warm soaks. They were in the process of adding an outdoor bar (I think this is finished now). There was also a new stage area for performances from local artists. The rooms are rustic but also see continual improvement, but at this spot you will not see your room often.

Davinci, hist brother Tom, Mom and the rest of the staff work so hard every day to keep their guests and visitors content and well attended. In many ways this last trip felt like a journey home.

I consider myself 'well travelled'. I have stayed in everything from “4 seasons” type resorts to stick shacks. If you are looking for 5 star golf, discos, or some kind of 'scene', do yourself a favor and don't go here. If on the other hand you are looking for peaceful relaxation, undisturbed private beaches, amazing adventure, and a boutique resort, then you can do no better anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately because we are moving further west into the S. Pacific we will not be able to make the journey back to Paya Bay anytime soon. But for me and my wife it is in our thoughts, and in our hearts every day.

Highly recommended for:
Groups of friends, Couples (all types), Families, Weddings, Adventure seekers and divers, Spa/Relaxation seekers, those who like dance barefoot on the beach and drink cold beer or unique martinis/cocktails.

NOT recommended for:
Disco/party people, swingers, uptight people who might complain about a gecko on the wall in their rooms.

If you have the opportunity do yourself a favor and go to Paya Bay.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sphonic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Czech first
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

Miss Lurlene and her staff made us feel that we were part of the family, welcoming us warmly and then giving us all the privacy we wanted for a completely relaxing and unplugged vacation. It was a 10 minute drive on a difficult dirt road to get there - but well worth the trip. Once on the property, we enjoyed delicious meals and amazing views. Our room was absolutely beautiful, overlooking the water and the mountains (which we climbed! Be sure to ask Lurlene and Myrna about Cousin Duka's place). Getting to the beautiful private beaches was a treat on the trails cut through the property. The Zen Path was our favorite. Creating those paths was such a wonderful touch! This is not your typical resort experience. This is where we learned the difference between being a tourist and being a traveler. If you are looking for wild night life - this is not your place. If you are looking for relaxation and natural beauty, you'll want to check it out.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Booked my 20th annniversary here for February 2010. Had to cancel the trip because of a family medical emergency. On 2/15/10, I was promised a refund of $610 per their cancellation policy. I have no argument with the amount, but almost 12 months later I have not received the credit. All I have are numerous e-mails apologizing for this issue, and promising to take care of it immediately. There is no proper excuse for taking this long. It is a simple transaction.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 5er
roatanguy, Manager at Paya Bay Resort, responded to this review, February 7, 2011
This issue was the result of an oversight. Paya Bay Resort regrets the inconvenience it caused this client. The client has been contacted to resolve it.

Davinci McNab
Paya Bay resort
Fort McMurray
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Paya Bay is a place we chose because it is one of the few places that offers a all inclusive in Roatan. Most places wont have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner included. This place did. This place is one of the most amazing places ive traveled to and ive traveled to a lot of places. Theres 3 beaches all private to the resort. DONT GO TO THE WEST BAY. Its soooo crowded and people everywhere. This place is more clam with service like no other. A family run resort so you get that family run feel which is so refreshing. Your someone at this resort. They get you whatever you want, and do there best to please you. Again its the people that make this place special. Free snorkling trips twice a day. Cooked to order food. Large rooms. Clean rooms. Great smoothies.The only thing not included is the booze but as long as Thomas is pouring your happy to pay cause he gets you your moneys worth. Big shout to Thomas the bartender, this guy greets you by name wherever he finds you and offers to get you anything at anytime. AWESOME. If your out for a night on the town then Davinci is the man. He took us out for new years and made sure we had fun. Davinci knows the hot places and can show you a good time. This place is a little out of the way but it dosent matter because there is a full time driver. He picks you up at the airport/dock. Plus if you want to go shopping on the west end hes happy to drive. Again if you pick a vacation here I GUARANTEE you will have a fun and relaxing time. Check out my photos they speak for themselves.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

I have been on many cruises and this was the msot amazing resort I have ever experienced. As we got off the cruiseship, a gentleman named, Jose was there waiting for our group for many hours since our ship was late getting to our port in Honduras. Jose was a safe and thoughtful driver, who drove us to this amazing resort. The resort was about 45 minutes away from our port. Jose gave us great informations about our surroundings. I considered him the greatest tour guide we have ever experienced with any excursions. Upon our destination arrival, we were greeted by the most friendliest people in the world. We were treated so special which meant alot to our group.The sites were unbelievable as well as the food. The beaches were clean and relaxing. The rooms were adorable and cozy not memtioning well worth the money. I have planned to take a week vacation just to spend time with some of the best people ever. The food was excellent and was served prompt. Lurlene, Michael, Jose, and the young lady who served us our wonderful lunch were awesome. I would recommend the Paya Bay Resort to all my family and friends. We also had a travel agent within our group, who was amazed with the views,service and all the awesome people, who made our stay so special. This is absolutely a home away from home luxury living.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

Amazing place, amazing people. A group of us spent the day at Paya Bay Resort during a recent cruise. Our ship arrived at the port several hours late but Jose was there waiting for us with a smile on his face even though he'd been waiting for 5 hours! The 45-minute ride from the port to Paya Bay Resort provided for some breathtaking photo opportunities. Jose took the time to slow down, even stop if we'd have asked. He pointed out areas of interest and even pointed out the small village where he is from. Upon our arrival at Paya Bay we were greeted by Lurlene - an amazing woman who instantly makes you feel like her most important guest. A fruit platter and fresh fruit juice was provided, which was a perfect snack after the ride. We were given a room to change and keep stuff in while we spent time on the beautiful beaches at Paya Bay Resort. Beautiful rooms - open, airy, clean, modern. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into the very inviting bed and close my eyes to just listen to the waves crashing on the beaches. Coolers were packed with beverages that we ordered to drink on the beach, we were asked what time we wanted lunch, and off to the beach we went. Clean, beautiful, awesome beaches. Floating mattresses were provided, so I was in heaven - floating on a mattress in the crystal clear water, drinking my beverage of choice. Lunchtime came, we all headed up to the dining room, and were treated to a wonderful lunch. Being the one person in the group who doesn't eat fish/seafood, Lurlene made it a point to see that I was provided with a non-fish/seafood lunch. I had chicken and it was GREAT. Those who had the shrimp enjoyed it as well and we all commented that the food was better than the food on the cruise ship, a complement to the chef! After lunch we headed back down to the beach. Two of our group had made arrangements through Lurlene for 60-minute massages on the beach. They got their massages on the beach, and the rest of us napped in the shade, lay in the sun, or floated around some more in the water. When the time came, back up to the main building we went where Jose was there, still with that great smile on his face, ready to drive us back to the cruise ship. It was sad to say goodbye - hugs all around between us and Lurlene. I can't stress enough how amazing the day was at Paya Bay Resort. We will definitely be going back, but next time for more than just a day! Lurlene, Jose, and everyone else truly make you feel special with their hospitality and their genuine kindness.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
chicago, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

Second time to PB, and this time we brought our extended family. Pick-up from the airport was smooth, and Lurlene was waiting to welcome us at the resort with a cool drink. We are avid snorkelers, and Captain Tom took us out 2x per day to various spots on the reef. Fish life and water clarity was a bit lower than when we were at PB a few years ago, but recent storms are likely to blame which is beyond control. Trip to Pigeon Caye was yet again a highlight, and the water clarity around the Caye was amazing. We had a large group which I'm sure was difficult for the staff, but they did a great job catoring to our needs. The new "healthy" food menu will be great...and they are in the process of transitioning at the moment. Several family members (including our 3 year old daughter) loved the sunset yoga sessions, although it was a bit buggy (be sure to bring bug spray). Overall it was another great trip to PB, with Lurlene and her family making sure we had a wonderful stay. Such a beautiful and peaceful property away from all the crowds on the west end of the island.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family