This was my second trip to Paya Bay. My wife and I made our first trip about 2 years ago and we were seriously impressed with the quality of our stay. We made this second trip in an attempt to re-capture that experience. We were NOT disappointed.
This time we chose to attend during a 'Naturist week' and it was a real treat. My wife and I both have high stress careers in Los Angeles and can assure you there is nothing like a day spent naked on one of the many postcard perfect beaches here to reach a state of relaxation that is otherwise unattainable. Throw in a couples beach-side massage and life just doesn't get better. My wife's favorite activity was the daily nude yoga performed just before sunset followed by a dip to cool off. For those “on the bench” about naturist weeks (or traveling with families), do not fear - there is nothing weird or “off kilter” here. It is simply awesome. You will have no regrets choosing this or any other theme week.
I think you could spend a year at Paya Bay and have adventure every day. The trip out to Pigeon Cay is a MUST. It is seriously like something off a movie set. The diving in this area remains pristine. Though we had originally scheduled 4 days of scuba, we ended up having Tom captain us around to freedive local reefs the last 2 days 'naturist style' instead. It was some of of the best diving I have ever experienced. (and as a competitive freediver I dive a LOT).
The resort itself is not new but has lots of Caribbean style, is clean, charming, and sees continual improvement. Since my original trip they had added a beach-side non-chlorinated pool. It was perfect for quick warm soaks. They were in the process of adding an outdoor bar (I think this is finished now). There was also a new stage area for performances from local artists. The rooms are rustic but also see continual improvement, but at this spot you will not see your room often.
Davinci, hist brother Tom, Mom and the rest of the staff work so hard every day to keep their guests and visitors content and well attended. In many ways this last trip felt like a journey home.
I consider myself 'well travelled'. I have stayed in everything from “4 seasons” type resorts to stick shacks. If you are looking for 5 star golf, discos, or some kind of 'scene', do yourself a favor and don't go here. If on the other hand you are looking for peaceful relaxation, undisturbed private beaches, amazing adventure, and a boutique resort, then you can do no better anywhere in the world.
Unfortunately because we are moving further west into the S. Pacific we will not be able to make the journey back to Paya Bay anytime soon. But for me and my wife it is in our thoughts, and in our hearts every day.
Highly recommended for:
Groups of friends, Couples (all types), Families, Weddings, Adventure seekers and divers, Spa/Relaxation seekers, those who like dance barefoot on the beach and drink cold beer or unique martinis/cocktails.
NOT recommended for:
Disco/party people, swingers, uptight people who might complain about a gecko on the wall in their rooms.
If you have the opportunity do yourself a favor and go to Paya Bay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands