“A fabulous vacation!”

Mango Creek Lodge
Ranked #3 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 13, 2011

My husband & I spent five glorious days at Mango Creek Lodge in September. Owners Terry & Patrice were perfect hosts -- both natural raconteurs who have sailed around the world together and who continue their romance with the sea by building and operating a first class resort. We felt like they were our new best friends by the time we left. Your "room" is actually a superbly built cabana located over the water. You can relax in the hammock on the little back porch (as I did) or you can stand on the same porch and cast for fish (as my husband did)! Being that my husband is an avid fisherman, he had the time of his life "stalking the flats" with Perry, one of the fishing guides at Mango Creek. There was plenty for me to do while he was out fishing -- hiking, snorkeling, kayaking, and my favorite, getting a wonderful massage. Terry & Patrice have put together a friendly staff whose mission is to be sure you have a wonderfully memorable time. We found it very comfortable to have the price be all-inclusive. How nice not to have to think about the cost of each drink, each meal, the use of the equipment, etc. The only extra was the guide fee for Perry, which my husband said was worth every cent. Dalia & Gladys were superb cooks, treating us like royalty with so much delicious food that I actually started asking for slightly smaller portions. We told all at Mango Creek good-bye with a promise to return. We're hoping for June!

Fishing guide note from my husband: Perry is great. Born and raised on Roatan. Been fishing there his whole life. Has X-ray eyes. Able to spot "nervous water" 100 yards away and tell you what kind of fish it is. Led me to bonefish, permit & bar jack. Highest recommendation.

---- Original message ----

Room Tip: The over-water cabanas are all awesome!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon A
There are newer reviews for Mango Creek Lodge

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I will say we are jaded travelers with my husband being a commercial pilot. Discos and resorts are not for us. So if they are for you, this LODGE might not be the RESORT you are seeking. It was a perfect landing spot for us. I had approx 2 hours to find a place to stay in Roatan the night before we arrived. Patrice very kindly answered my late night email and followed up by calling me while we were on a lay over in Houston. Otherwise I would have spent a good deal of time knocking on hotel door to door to try to find a reasonable place for an adult and two kids. She had a driver meet us at the airport - even though our flight was 3 hours late! We got right to her boat and to the LODGE in less than 1 hour. I generally hate to check in. I am exhausted, but there are papers to sign, many computer keys for the desk person (who generally acts like they have never checked anyone in before), lots of stuff to explain (for some reason) etc. Here - we got off of the boat - the fantastic guys carried our bags while we changed clothes and got into the water. We kayaked and swam until dinner.

Dinner is a family affair which really cuts down on the bickering with the kids. OK our kids do eat whatever is put in front of them because they have been traveling since they were tiny. But here they chowed. It was a bit embarrassing. Like I don't feed them at home. (Well we had been up since 2 a.m. and I probably hadn't fed them). I hate having to eat "out" every meal because it takes a tremendous amount of time and money. This was a great arrangement. We basically got out of the water, dried off, had a "drink" and dinner was served. No driving to someplace, waiting to be seated, waiting for a menu, waiting for a waitress, waiting for drinks, waiting for FOOD, waiting for the bill....You can get your own drinks (included) and the dinner bell was rung around 6:30 which is approx 8:30 east coast time.

Next day was pretty much as all days - breakfast around 7:30 local. We chose to dive that day. SHORT boat ride to dive. Back to the Lodge for lunch. Back in the boat for 2nd dive. The dives were nice, but again - being jaded - we enjoyed the lodging the most. The dives were fine, but we didn't have the time to really explore the whole area.

The owners also make a concerted effort to lessen impact on a underdeveloped area of Roatan. So if you need to have long hot baths, and loads of electricity, probably not the area for you. Compared to other LODGES I have stayed in, I was happy with toilets in the rooms and hot water for showers. OK OK call me crazy - I was a bit cold at night. I know everyone wants AC, but after diving all day I am COLD so even the ceiling fan was a bit chilly. I had to dig out the spare blanket. In July...

The front porch on the over water cabanas were super cool. I could lay there all day and watch what swims underneath. The "blue" house had the most fish. Yes there are bugs. Its the tropics. These at least are controlled with OFF.

The Pidgeon Cays trip had fantastic snorkeling. We felt like royalty with the "boys" Walter and Omar setting up a tarp for shade, carrying our lunch and a cooler full of drinks. LED us snorkeling to make sure we knew where to go.

So much else to write about, but if you have read this far, you probably already have the trip booked.

We are now in West Bay. With noisy (drunk) neighbors. I have to cook for us, clean for us and fend for ourselves. For about the same price. WISH I found Mango Creek before I paid for a rental in West Bay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank flyboyswifeshusband
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Have to apologize first. Have been remorse about writing a review. This was our second spring break at Mango Creek Lodge, but only my first review. Giving our 12 and 15 year old sons the option of anywhere they wanted to go this year, they wanted to come back to MCL.

If you are looking for a place to be active (fishing, scuba, kayaking, sailing) or just a spot to read or practice your yoga, this is it. Terry and Patrice have created as comfortable a retreat as you could want. Clean and friendly. An intimate setting where you get to know the other guests and feel like you are the center of attention. The food is healthy and delicious and there is always plenty of cold beer and sodas!

Dollar for dollar the best value fishing, diving or plain ol' laying around vacation you can possibly have.

Now for the fishing. Its as good or better than anywhere I have been in the world. Bonefish, permit and resident tarpon in abundance for those who want the challenge, and as many snapper and barracuda as your arms can handle for the kids that just want to catch fish after fish. Michael who has been my guide on both trips had me casting on permit every day. On both trips. Unheard of. Amazing boatman and guide. Man he could find the fish. Had me on the water from sunup to sundown. Have never had more time on the water.

The diving is just as great! Both our boys finished their PADI certification with Leif and were in the water diving every day. My wife, who doesn't really like to fish, dove a new spot every day. The kids were able to fish half days and dive the other half when they wanted. Afterwards they would jump back in to snorkel the beautiful bay that surrounds the lodge.

If anything, a week is not enough time! We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dkhhk
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My husband and I recently traveled to Roatan and spent a fabulous few days at the Mango Creek Lodge. We were greeted by Patrice at the airport and taken very well care of from then on. She brought us to great snorkel spots, picnic at Pigeon Cay, sent us on a fun dory ride through the mangroves, and arranged a great fishing guide for my husband. Overall, she and her staff just made sure our stay was up to our liking. I highly recommend visiting due to the great location away from it all, the beautiful surroundings and the wonderful people. The food is delicious and the staff is so friendly!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed in Mango Creek Lodge in the middle of May, and we are already trying to work out when we can get back. The bonefish and permit fishing is as good or better as anywhere in the world. There were a couple of grand slams while we were there, with fishermen landing bonefish, permit and tarpon in the same day. The fishing guides were excellent, and great fun to be around.
The diving was fantastic. The dive sites are around a completely unspoilt reef, with fish and corals to rival anything I have seen in Kenya, the Red Sea, etc. Unlike some of the other dive sites on Roatan where you are packed in a boat with 20 other people, we had the reef completely to ourselves. There is a great range of dive sites, from shallow sandy-bottom dives to deep wall dives. Leif, the dive master, was a pleasure to be around.
The lodge itself is charming and very friendly. Dinner and drinks every evening were great fun, and the atmosphere is laid back and unfussy. The cabanas are lovely and spacious and cool, and the hammock and recliner on the balcony made the perfect place to relax in the evening.
There is not a single thing we would have changed about the whole holiday, and we absolutely recommend Mango Creek Lodge to those who want the best fishing and diving in a friendly, relaxed lodge away from the crowds and noise.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan_ODon
Reviewed May 28, 2011

The super dinners at Mango Creek are prepared in a North American fashion, made with island ingredients.

From your back door or on top of the hiking path Mango Creek has many picturesque views of the historic Port Royal with it clean blue water and tranquil cays.

The property has many varieties of trees and flowers that creates a peaceful and relaxing setting

We explored the reefs and cays around Mango Creek with our hosts who’s knowledge and experience enhanced our underwater adventure. The snorkeling and diving around Port Royal is untouched as it is off the beaten path.

All of the staff including the ground keepers has made ALL of our stays very special

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Second time going and had a great time on both occasions. The kids 22 and 25 went fishing and scuba diving. They also did the shark dive and came back with all body parts intact. All first class food people etc. The fishing was excellent In one day caught 3 permit on the fly rod. Also caught numerous bonefish and tarpon. Very quiet and peaceful Just how I like it. My wife went fishing,kayaking and snorkeling and was able to relax and read her books. If you want a great place to fish and enjoy the sun and the all inclusive food and have peace and quite while doing so this is your place.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family