“Great dive trip”
Review of Reef House Resort

Reef House Resort
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Found this trip on sale through Roatan Charters and decided to go on 2 weeks notice.
After 40 min van ride and 10 minute boat to the Cay, a little concerned. You enter Reef House from the canal in the back. Not to worry. A short walk gets you on to the property and all is well.

Older resort and I must tell you that if you are looking for a 5 star resort you need to find a different island. I have stayed at a couple other resorts on Roatan and while some are not as dated, I would prefer RHR over the rest.

Clean, comfortable, cable tv, AC, ceiling fan, purified drinking water all a bonus.

Mike the manager was replaced our 2nd day there...apparently personal issues.

Dave and David are the new managers and from day one had started to make improvements as to quality and attentiveness to individual guest needs.

While the meals are all preset there is lots of it at every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Some things I don't eat but no need to worry about starving and they will cater to special dietary needs.

David also happens to be a chef and he seems to be giving input as to the menu. On our last night he prepared dinner consisting of Caesar salad, beef tri tip roast (which he asked the group at lunch how they liked their beef to be cooked), local caught grilled lobster tails with drawn butter and backed potato. Easily a $50 meal in the states.

Secured wireless internet is free and worked well wherever you were in the resort.

Night life is what you make of it. Honor bar stocked with beer, wine, sodas. Take what you want and mark it down and then settle at the end of your stay. Prices very reasonable for beverages.

Wonderful ocean views out front with a jetty making shore dives simple.

Dive crew was great. Davit and Choco made sure everyone had a good time. Davit was outstanding at finding things and pointing them out to the group. (He is also deadly with his spea rgun when going after lion fish) Allowed to pretty much follow your own computer profile and not overly concerned with experienced divers needing to stay in a "cluster"

Reefs look very healthy but not an abundance of fish.

Azule is the cat who seems to be in complete control of guest relations. Strolled into my room one evening and decided to spend the night. BE CAREFUL!!! Once she chooses you you belong to her.

I wish Davey and David the best of luck in their new endeavor. They are very enthusiastic about the RHR and are already making long term plans for improvements

I am hoping to return in the not too distant future.

Dave S

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Dave S

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Our week long dive trip to Reef House Resort began on July 7th. After our (mostly) uneventful trip down to Roatan, we arrived around 11:15am. We made it through Customs and grabbed our bags. We were met by Mike (the owner). The drive to the resort was about 40 minutes. Well, the ride to the boat pickup was about 40 minutes. It was another 5 minutes or so by boat to the house dock. Given the condition of the van and the tiny boat, we were a little apprehensive and began to question our choice of vacation spots.

Let me interject here that we knew going in that Reef House Resort (RHR from here on out) was not by any stretch of the imagination considered a luxury resort. Rustic is a great way of describing it. From the reviews I had read on ScubaBoard and TripAdvisor, the consensus was that it was definitely a bang-for-your-buck diving facility. Our intention was to dive, dive, dive, and have good food, relaxation, and sleep in-between.

Our apprehension disappeared when we arrived and really began our vacation. The room was air conditioned (we asked for one of the two second story rooms that are separate from the main rooming section) and had satellite TV. It was nothing special, but it was cleaned daily and fresh water (via a little jug) was provided. We found it to be quite comfy, just don’t expect luxury. There is an endless supply of hot water for showers which was most welcome.
In an odd turn of events, we turned out to be the only two people on site for the entire week. Another guy showed up our next to last day, but, other than that, we had the place to ourselves. This was good and bad. We had the dive boat to ourselves, with one dive master (Davit) and the boat captain. We HATE crowded dive boats, so this was fantastic! On the other hand, we really missed out on meeting new people and sharing the experience with others. The week before (the July 4th week) there were over 20 people at the resort. We just happened to catch them on an off week. Luck of the draw, I guess. Some of our best memories are of meeting other divers while on trips, so that was a definite negative.

Upon our arrival and after getting settled into our room, Mike gave us a little tour of the place and gave a general layout of the schedule. Breakfast was at 8am, hit the dive boat at 9am. We were usually jumping in around 9:30. Since I’m the air hog, my air usually dictated dive times for the week. However, given we often went to 80, 90, or even a 100 feet during our dives, we usually averaged 45 or more minutes, most often somewhere between 50 minutes and an hour. After the first day or so, Davit got used to my air usage and I rarely had to update him to my status. He would have us back to the boat swimming around the reef above 20 feet for our 3 minute safety stop in enough time to surface with a comfortable cushion of air. A 40 minute to 55 minute surface interval later and we were at another site and jumping in for our second dive of the day. Upon surfacing, we would return to the resort for lunch (usually around 12:30 or 1). We would head out again around 2:30 for our third dive of the day. We always went to different sites except for the day we did our one night dive, which was on a reef we had done earlier in the day (one night dive is provided in place of one afternoon dive, conditions permitting). This was our very first night dive. We had always been somewhat apprehensive about doing a night dive, but we figured circumstances couldn’t possibly ever be better than this. We had a wonderful time! Davit kept us entertained and we saw tons of cool stuff, including an octopus out for his evening hunt.

On that note, I have to say that the diving all week was incredible. The reefs were fantastic. We would usually jump in around 15-20 feet, swim out a short ways, and then the wall would drop off to 100 feet or more. The walls were amazing! We also did several swim thrus during the week that were to die for. Davit, as mentioned on numerous reviews, has amazing eyes and he is constantly pointing out the micro stuff that is easy to miss, like seahorses. He also spotted several toad fish on this trip that were camouflaged almost to be invisible. Given the lion fish problem plaguing the Atlantic and Caribbean, he usually killed 2-3 per dive. We got where we would spot them and then point them out until he could move in take care of them. Unfortunately, like everywhere else, they are taking over at an alarming rate. We saw them on every dive. While beautiful, they are wreaking havoc on the reefs.

Anyway, to bring this story to an end, we had a wonderful time all week. The food was excellent! I am a very picky eater and I sent Mike an email ahead of time to let him know about my issues. While I’m not sure what it would have been like had a bunch of other people been there, he was able to accommodate me. We always had too much food and left the table stuffed. I tried some things I never would have tried and wound up having a great time with the food. They provide breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack (the oatmeal and chocolate cookies were to die for), and dinner. Lemonade and an island sweet tea are provided for lunch and dinner. A Tang type drink and two fruit juices are provided for breakfast. Of course there is always safe water and coffee. Overall, I found the food to be very good and the portions large. I’m not a huge eater, but I almost always left the table stuffed and regretful I had eaten too much.

We both felt that this was one of the most relaxing vacations we had ever taken. The diving was terrific (and easy), the food was good, and the price was outstanding. Mike inquired several times a day to ensure everything was okay and, while we never had any issues, we felt he would jump to take care of anything we were unhappy about. On a side note, while I’ve read numerous reviews of other locations on Roatan that have bad sand flea problems, we didn’t have that where we were. Part of it may have been that the winds were 15-20mph while we were there, and part is due to the fact that RHR has such a small sandy area. I’m not saying there weren’t any, but they weren’t awful. We had plenty of bug spray as backup.

We want to give a special shout out to Azule, the resort cat. She was very friendly and kept us company all week. We loved it. A word of caution, if you befriend her, she can be very demanding of your attention. We didn’t mind this and actually welcomed it. You are warned. LOL

The honor bar is well stocked and cheap. Beth preferred the Barena and I liked the Salva Vida better. Either way, the beers, wines, sodas, and liquor were there and the price was great. Drink up and enjoy and don’t worry about the price. Just be sure to keep track of what you drink so Mike can figure it in at the end. What could be better?

I guess the best praise I can give about our week is that I’m already wondering when we can go back. We both had a great time and the diving was some of the best we have done. If you’re looking for an inexpensive place to dive that includes all your meals, you’ve found your place. If you want a luxurious room or things to do between dives besides relaxing and looking at the water, this may not be your place. The Wifi is free, but I didn’t get a good signal in my room until I hooked up my (borrowed) C. Crane Wifi Antenna 3. YMMV. Once hooked up, my signal was rock solid from my room.

Room Tip: The two second story rooms are separate from the main rooms and provide a bit more privacy. I'm...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rich K
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Before I start, the Reef House Resort is for people who want to dive, dive, eat, relax, dive, eat, sleep and repeat again. And the price is amazing. That said, yes the room is not like the one at the Marriot hotel and the bar is a self service system. Personally I like it that way. I rather pay less for the resort and go for 2 weeks. In a diving vacation my expectation is to do great diving not to be pampered.
Mike is a wonderful host. Davit and Choco on the boat are at your service, not rushing anybody. The dive duration are not limited. In the 2 weeks I was there I never cross any other divers from other resort. The dive site are almost private to the resort so not many divers dive those reef beside the Reef House. Result : very healthy reef, fishes are not afraid, lots of small critters.
The food was really good. My only critic to the food is that there where not enough veggies.
The deck is a wonderful place to chat after the dives and because of the shore being mostly concrete and reef there’s not that much sandfly.
I will return to the Reef House before 2013 for sure. My experience there was just perfect, just enough comfort for the price and great diving experience.
It's the best value for diving great sites.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank RodAmyot
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The perfect place to dive, dive, dive. Reef House Resort is a small and intimate family owned resort. It's like being at home, especially since most of the guests are return customers. Three boat dives a day, with delicious meals in between, an early cocktail and off to bed to do it all over again the next day. RHS is on the opposite end of Roatan from all the other resorts, so you NEVER see another dive boat. I stayed for two weeks this time, and had between 3 and 10 other divers on our boat with Davit, guide extrodinaire, but never saw other divers under water. The convenience of leaving your dive gear drying overnight within about 10 steps of the boat is another great feature. If you're looking for party central or fancy resorts, this ain't it, but if you like going barefoot for an entire week and putting your feet up on the deck railing while you watch the sun go down, this IS the place.

Room Tip: They are all good, with breeze and deck out front to hang your wet clothes
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank bubblesaplenty
Reviewed May 5, 2012

What a fantastic dive resort. Mike and all the staff are just fantastic and you couldn't ask for more. Reef house is a resort for divers, they eat and sleep diving. All the rental gear is in a really good condition that is the same for all the sites we dived. We stayed for 7 nights on our honeymoon from Australia. What a week. One thing that I liked was the hour bottom time that we had on each dive. Now the food, the food was so nice and there was so much of it, you never went hungry. If you want to just dive for a week well Reef House is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for room 12. It,s on the end
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I stayed at the Reef House Resort for a week in March 2012 and highly recommend this resort for anyone who wants to do a lot of diving, eat great food(very good food) and sleep in a clean comfortable bed! Dive Equipment was well maintained and the Dive guide was very accommodating. I will definitely go back!
Vancouver Canada

Room Tip: I really didn't spend much time in my room, I was diving most of the time. I did notice some roo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank VancouverPiper39
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Reef House Resort (RHR) where I celebrated my 50th birthday. It was the perfect place for me to celebrate turning the big five-o. We are not into 5 star resorts, bar/clubs, crowded resorts, or over priced accommodations. We prefer rustic, clean, low key vacations with great diving. The RHR delivered all this and more. Before we were through the customs area we saw a gentlemen holding a RHR who then helped us get our luggage out to the RHR van where the owner Mike, and handyman Leonardo, were waiting.

After the bus ride, and a short boat ride to RHR, we experienced the first of Mike’s many kindnesses We arrived after lunch had been served but they had two delicious tostadas waiting for us to enjoy. He also took us out for the first of many beautiful dives that afternoon. When I had problems with nausea he gave me some seasickness pills and for days after would ask if I was feeling better. When I was worried about my mother-in-laws health after surgery he let us use his phone. And when our plane was scheduled to leave in the afternoon he had the cooks make lunch early so we could have a nice meal before the airport craziness.

There are so many more things that Mike did that I could go one forever….but two final ones. On my birthday I was presented with a lovely cake with a PADI flag. And when we did a shore dive at night he had dinner served earlier, made sure he had a light at the end of the pier, and asked how long we expected the dive to last. I have no doubt that if we were too late he would have started searching for us.. He told us he can follow the diver’s lights and gauge when they will be finished. After our dive he had donuts waiting for us in case we hungry. Try to find that in a big impersonal resort.

The entire staff was wonderful from the cooks and servers, to the maid Angela, and Leonardo the handyman. My husband is unable to eat large meals and they never failed to bring him foil to wrap half his breakfast in for his surface intervals. The food was tasty and plentiful and we always had a nice jug of cold water in our room.

Now onto Davit, the dive master, and Chaco, the boat captain. True gentleman these two. I will start with Chaco. How many times have you seen a boat captain watch for a diver’s bubbles and know were “his” divers are located? And how many times have you been able to lift up your camera and have it taken while your head is still underwater. Chaco was always there to take your cameras, fins and tank. And when he was busy helping another diver there was Davit to help you. They work very well as team and switch your gear over in the blink of an eye.

Davit is everything previous posters have written and more. We started joking that he must have bionic eyes the way he could spot the tiniest of pipe fish, seahorses, and nudibranchs from many feet above. Every dive with Davit was wonderful new adventure filled with spotted eagle rays, moray eels, barracuda, reef squid, grouper, toad fish, scorpion fish, lizard fish, file fish, and numerous other creatures. Not to mention the breathtaking sponges and corals. Having experienced the dreaded half hour bottom time with other dive outfits I really enjoyed our bottom time with Davit which were normally an hour, or more. They usually ended on a reef below where the boat was tied to a mooring. So those with more air could stay and enjoy the beautiful reefs while the others could dry off onboard and drink ice water that was always on the boat.

The rooms were clean, comfortable, and had great air conditioning. We had plenty of hot water for showers. The bed was a little firm for me but did not cause any loss of sleep. An earlier poster mentioned they were asked to take only one shower a day. Which seemed reasonable to me but that is no longer the case since additional water sources were located.

We enjoyed the camaraderie with the wonderful divers we met at RHR. The self-serve honor bar had varied types of beer, wine, and soda. It was located right off the patio where we enjoyed sharing many stories with our new friends. For one couple it was their tenth trip to RHR, one diver was on his third visit, and for the rest of the divers it was their first. Everyone talked about how great was the diving, the resort and the people. We can’t wait to get back to our friends at the Reef House Resort!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple