Bottom line, 6 kids and 20 years of vacations...Palmetto Bay is one of the top two choices for next year's destination and this is the first time we have been here.
We loved Palmetto Bay for so many reasons. Location, accomodations, services, activities, scuba diving. It was so wonderful that this will be a long-ish notation.
We loved Palmetto Bay because we are a scuba diving family of 8 (2 parents and 6 kids ages 24 to 11) that loves beachfront rooms/house with kitchen, easy access to scuba diving, a nice pool for downtime, a restaurant if we don't want to cook in and wonderful service.
- The restaurant was open from breakfast until late dinner. American and Island cuisine on the menu. Fresh fruit, breakfast burritos, seafood and banana pancakes were our favorites.
- happy hour was fun for all of us older and younger...try the mango smoothies.
- pool: pretty, clean, cool
Service/food: pleasant and tasty. Remember that all meals, everywhere on the island, are served on island time. At Palmetto, if you need an early breakfast, you can order the night before. Also, we ordered a lobster dinner the last night (it was our 25th anniversary) we were there and we had royal treatment, including a 'heart of fire' on the beach.
Location: It was an incredibly lovely, jungly, wonderfuly remote, peaceful site. From our house, we could see the ocean and the restaurant was only 2 minutes walk. Imagine Jurassic Park with mango trees (we must have eaten a hundred). It is a 15 minute drive off the main road but it is a resort with security at the gate, etc.
Transportation: Palmetto Bay gave us transport to and from the airport. We also rented a car as we usually do and it was reasonably priced.
For scuba divers, Palmetto is on the north shore and we had many fantastic sites with flats, canyons, caverns, and more gopro shots that I can deal with. The associated dive shop at the next closest resort is a 'valet dive shop'. It was our first encounter with that type of diving. WOW. We are used to shorediving and lugging tanks/equipment. Here, you take your equipment to the boat on the first dive, then leave it there until you leave town.
Ziplining and diving with dolphins is cool. We liked the Gumbalimba park with the zipline/park combo. The park had friendly monkeys.
Bring DEET based bug spray. The sand fleas (aka no see'ums) are everywhere on the island.
Tell Eradine that Jill sent you:)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort at Palmetto Bay is a natural paradise situated on a sparkling bay, surrounded by a coral reef. Pristine beaches friendly faces and rhythm that allow you to appreciate the natural beauty are your constant companions. From our white sand beach, you can walk for miles and not encounter "modern civilization". See why so many people have chosen to make Palmetto Bay Plantation their vacation destination and why seven major television shows have filmed programs at our resort including "Temptation Island" on Fox TV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Resort at Palmetto Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palmetto Bay Plantation Roatan
- The Resort At Palmetto Bay Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands