“Family scuba diving in a jungle resort”

The Resort at Palmetto Bay
Ranked #37 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Bottom line, 6 kids and 20 years of vacations...Palmetto Bay is one of the top two choices for next year's destination and this is the first time we have been here.

We loved Palmetto Bay for so many reasons. Location, accomodations, services, activities, scuba diving. It was so wonderful that this will be a long-ish notation.

We loved Palmetto Bay because we are a scuba diving family of 8 (2 parents and 6 kids ages 24 to 11) that loves beachfront rooms/house with kitchen, easy access to scuba diving, a nice pool for downtime, a restaurant if we don't want to cook in and wonderful service.

- The restaurant was open from breakfast until late dinner. American and Island cuisine on the menu. Fresh fruit, breakfast burritos, seafood and banana pancakes were our favorites.
- happy hour was fun for all of us older and younger...try the mango smoothies.
- pool: pretty, clean, cool

Service/food: pleasant and tasty. Remember that all meals, everywhere on the island, are served on island time. At Palmetto, if you need an early breakfast, you can order the night before. Also, we ordered a lobster dinner the last night (it was our 25th anniversary) we were there and we had royal treatment, including a 'heart of fire' on the beach.

Location: It was an incredibly lovely, jungly, wonderfuly remote, peaceful site. From our house, we could see the ocean and the restaurant was only 2 minutes walk. Imagine Jurassic Park with mango trees (we must have eaten a hundred). It is a 15 minute drive off the main road but it is a resort with security at the gate, etc.

Transportation: Palmetto Bay gave us transport to and from the airport. We also rented a car as we usually do and it was reasonably priced.

For scuba divers, Palmetto is on the north shore and we had many fantastic sites with flats, canyons, caverns, and more gopro shots that I can deal with. The associated dive shop at the next closest resort is a 'valet dive shop'. It was our first encounter with that type of diving. WOW. We are used to shorediving and lugging tanks/equipment. Here, you take your equipment to the boat on the first dive, then leave it there until you leave town.

Ziplining and diving with dolphins is cool. We liked the Gumbalimba park with the zipline/park combo. The park had friendly monkeys.

Bring DEET based bug spray. The sand fleas (aka no see'ums) are everywhere on the island.

Tell Eradine that Jill sent you:)

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jill S

Reviewed August 11, 2014

Palmetto Bay is a good place to get away from the crowds. The nice beaches are in West End, which you can get to with a shuttle and you definitely should visit at least once. If your most interested in staying close to the nice beaches and visiting them every day, then this might not be the best place, but if you're looking for a relaxing spot away from the crowds, this place is it. They have their own beach which is fine, but there is a lot of seaweed. They have a nice relaxing dock with hammocks and a lot of activities you can pay to do. The bungalows are pretty spacious, but not the most comfortable, definitely an immersion into the island. My wife and I explored the areas around the hotel by foot. There is a local community not too far away where we went to play soccer with the local kids. A lot of the workers are from that community. We also hiked across the narrow end of the island near the center and took local transportation around the island which was cheaper. Overall great experience, friendly staff and traditional food.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Moises M
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I came here for a few nights as a birthday present for my girlfriend. This was so much nicer than any other places we stayed on the island. The beach is beautiful, well maintained and is empty. The jetty with hammocks on is one of the best places to spend an afternoon I have ever found. The staff are really friendly and helpful putting on a gorgeous dinner on the beach for a special occasion. Best location/ hotel by a long way on Roatan!

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a long overdue review as a few friends and I stayed at Palmetto Bay Plantation back in June of 2014.

The resort picked us up from the airport and took care of all of our luggage for us. That airport experience was seamless! Upon arrival at the resort they welcomed us with tropical drinks. They were served as a non-alcoholic drink but they definitely had a bottle of rum right next to the drinks for people like us who like our booze!

The check-in process was seamless and they showed us to our villa and gave us a tour of the villa. Villa was clean, spacious and overall a great spot to stay for a our trip. Kitchen was supplied with everything needed to cook your own meals if preferred.

Next up... the hospitality. The hospitality was amazing and everyone who worked at the resort spoke better English than I did and I was born and raised in the United States!! It was a pleasure getting to know the staff and meeting some of their families in the nearby Crawfish Rock Village. We got a tour of this village which is a 15 minute walk down the beach and an amazing lunch from Johnny's family.

Also, anytime we needed to run to the city for food and drinks they were more than willing to take us there and wait for us to shop. They even loaded up our purchases in to the van for us!

The food... every morning the resort served a buffet style breakfast at no additional cost. The coffee was strong which I appreciate. Their lunches and dinners were fresh fish and lobster. We ate all three meals each day at the resort because they were so tasty. One evening we had friends visit us from a neighboring resort (Pristine Bay) and the staff accommodated the large group of us on their patio with ease. Every friend that visited that evening was jealous that they weren't staying there too.

So to sum up this resort and stay in one word.... PERFECT!

Next time we visit we will be staying at Palmetto Bay!

Thank you again from Laura, Brande, John and Trent!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Trent H
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I'm not sure why this place is getting such great reviews. This resort in comparison to others on the island is subpar. The property is secluded and is situated about 30 minutes away from everything. The beach is full of seagrass, which they try to control by having a few guys come every morning to rake it and then pile it off to the side. The bungalows while nice sometimes have no AC. Yes, you are on a tropical island and it's supposed to be hot but no AC? really? The houses which they rent out are very nice, but ours didn't have hot water. When we told management they said they would fix it and never did. There is also a huge bug problem...something that could be very easily resolved but isn't. It's so bad that they sell bug spray in the main office. It's twice as much as what you would pay at the grocery store there. Overall this place has potential but it's definitely not a place I would visit again. I was here for a wedding with a large group that occupied practically the entire plantation and while it was nice it was also miserable because of all the bugs. When I returned to the states I had so many sand flea and mosquito bites it was horrifying and no amount of bug spray I used kept them away. The only redeeming quality this place has is the bar and wait staff, they were all super friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank LinC15
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I am going to review the resort in 2 parts, 1 part for our wedding and 1 for the actual resort.

Wedding: We just got back from staying at Palmetto for 2 weeks. During the first week we had our wedding. With us we brought 45 friends from the US and every single one of them told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to, even our wedding photographer! I will be honest I was a little nervous about planning a destination wedding at such a remote location, but everything turned out great! Merlyn, Eric, Maritza and everyone else involved were so wonderful! We had planned 3 different "events" for our guests including a welcome dinner, rehearsal dinner, and the actual wedding. Each one was so amazing. The welcome dinner included a fantastic buffet dinner on the beach with entertainment from the fire dancers and Garifuna dancers complete with decorations. The rehearsal dinner was a different menu equally delicious, and then the wedding was just beyond anyone's expectations. Every decoration from the centerpieces, the flowers, to the ceremony set up were exactly as I wanted, but better. It was my dream! All of the events went off without a hitch and to top it all off the staff is just amazing! Merlyn and Eric are the heart and soul of this operation and they calmed me and made me feel so special all the while making sure everything happened as it was supposed to. I later found out that our cake had started to collapse because of the extreme heat (not their fault) but they quickly took it away and fixed it and I NEVER knew when they had brought it back out until someone told me later! After the wedding Eric arranged a romantic dinner on the beach for us during our honeymoon and he out did himself with the decorations, a bonfire, and a fantastic meal.

Words just cannot express my gratitude for these wonderful people and their hard work. They worked from sun up until late into the night to make sure that the wedding was perfect, and it was!

Resort: Now I will review the resort. Which is equally fantastic, however you have to know what you are getting yourself into. Palmetto is a perfect location to go relax and get away from the big crowds and tourist areas. Because of that it is about a 25 minute drive to the West End and it will cost you (depending on the transportation and how many people) about $20 per person per trip to go to West End, or West Bay. The beach at Palmetto cannot compare to West Bay and there is sea grass and some rocks etc... Do not come here if you like the sky high tourist-y hotels with a blow up slide in the water, and 5 restaurants to choose from. Do come here if you like to get away from the crowds and want excellent customer service from some of the nicest people you will ever meet!

Knowing that this was how Palmetto was going to be in advance (my husband had been there before) we were not disappointed AT ALL! All of our wedding guests, once they got past the culture shock, loved how private it was. We literally had the entire place to ourselves and the staff learned everyones' names in only a day or two. Merlyn and Eric planned any activities that we wanted such as dolphins, zip lining, snorkeling, etc. and thought about things that we needed before we even did. They were always one step ahead of us. The only thing I really did not like were the sand fleas, which despite fogging and raking the beach still managed to be everywhere. I managed to go the entire week with only a few bites by spraying bug spray (with DEET) every time I went outside so just make sure you follow that rule! Yes its annoying but everywhere has bugs, you just learn to get used to it.

Overall, the place is much less "high tech" than some of the other resorts on the island, and it is far away from the Anthony's Key and West End, however they completely make up for it with the fantastic service, menu, and of course the uncrowded, undisturbed view of the ocean.

Most of our guests told us it was the best vacation they had ever been on, and they all want to come back next year for our 1 year anniversary! We will for sure be back!

Room Tip: There are limited beachfront villas for rent, so figure out if that is important to you. Most are ve...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah J
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Roatan the last week of Feb. 2014 for our March 1 wedding. We had read the reviews prior to travel.

Getting There:
we received a "welcome letter" approximately a week prior to arrival. This letter confirmed our reservation, and time of arrival, and provided information on navigating the airport, including names of the guy at the airport that helps you with baggage and the driver that takes you to the airport. With these instructions, getting thru the airport including customs was easy.

The driver took us to the grocery on the way to the resort. They have brands that are in the US. We purchased 10 oz. package of ham, pack of cheese slices, 6 buns, 2-4 packs yogurt, 12 pack of diet soda, 1 can pringles which all cost a little over $35.00. We should have purchased coffee but didn't. The grocery also has beer, wine, and hard liquor. Don't be surprised about the armed security.

As some reviewers have reported, yes, you do pass the garbage dump. It has to be somewhere and the island isn't that big. The roads are dirt. Not gravel, not paved, dirt. They get dusty when it is dry and muddy and slick when it is wet. There are potholes and ruts on the dirt road. It is also curvy and hilly.

The driver took our baggage and groceries to our villa while we checked-in.

Check In:
We were met by Melissa (she also goes by Marolyn). What a great first impression we had of the resort. She was so sweet and efficient. Reviewed our bill and room type, showed us the restaurant and bar and introduced us the Gilroy and his very refreshing "welcome drink" which is a delicious rum punch. After the rum punch and getting our wrist bands for "all inclusive" Melissa accompanied us to our villa and gave us a brief overview.

Room:
We were in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa. It was clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable and there were plenty of comfortable pillows. They apparently don't use wash clothes. We used a hand towel in the shower. Our room was cleaned every day. The housekeeper, Esperanza, was wonderful. She does not speak great English, but puts great effort into making your stay comfortable. She let us know the first day that she wanted us to lock the door to our villa when we were not there. She pressed my wedding dress and his shirt. She left flower petals around the sink and on the bed. We had very basic kitchen equipment. We did have a coffee pot and a couple of filters, but like I said earlier we didn't bring any coffee. They delivered us a large jug of water. Use it. We made friends with some people who used the tap water and they got sick. We did have a full size refrigerator in the room. We had air conditioning, but did not use it.

All-Inclusive:
We paid extra $68 per day for meals and drinks included, because we didn't want surprises with cost once we got there. It was worth it for us.

Restaurant, Food and Bar:
The food was great. Breakfast and lunch is a set menu with maybe 10-15 choices. My favorite was the shrimp quesadilla and his was cheeseburger. At dinner there were usually at least 4 entree choices, usually with some type of potatoes or rice and steamed or grilled vegetables. They never ran out of food. They might run out of some choices, especially at dinner if you came in late, but there was always a choice. I had seen reviews that recommended the banana pancakes. I made the mistake of waiting until the last day we were there to try it. Banana pancakes were delicious!

Items of note related to restaurant - restaurant opens at 7:30, roster starts crowing around 4:00. Thus, the need for coffee in your villa. Also, I left my retainers laying on my plate one morning. The morning cook found them for me. Thank you.

Gilroy, the morning and lunch time waiter and bartender, got to know our preferences and would ask if we wanted the usual or wanted to try something different. He was always very helpful and made sure our food came to us just as we wanted it.

In the late afternoon and evening, Eric is the man, the bartender and waiter. Delightful to talk to and ever attentive to customer needs and wants. We never ate dinner in the restaurant area. We ate at the bar, because that is where the fun is with Eric and Maritza. Maritza, the night manager, is top notch on customer service. If Eric is busy assisting other customers, Maritza steps in to make sure each guest has everything they need. Be sure to try Eric's special brew, gifiti.

The restaurant cooked the fish we caught for our dinner (or if we didn't want it, we could give it to someone else).

Wedding:
We planned this private (only bride and groom) wedding via email with Cecilia. The wedding was a package of services for a set price. Cecilia set me a list of items we needed to submit 2 weeks prior to arrival. She also allowed me to be as involved in the details as I wanted to be. We wanted a stress-less wedding, so I expected when we signed up to go here that it was a set plan, "cookie cutter" type wedding like I had seen on large chain resort web sites. Not so. She let me pick color of flowers, type of flowers, flavor of cake, etc. We gave her a little direction, reds/yellows/ oranges, tropical flowers, RUM cake (his choice), and asked her to make it beautiful, which she orchestrated perfectly, even more beautiful than we ever imagined. Tiny details that were so perfect. Cecilia was great to work with on getting the government approval of our paperwork.

The photographer, Devon, did a fabulous job, and he was FUN for people who do not like to have their picture taken.

Things They Didn't Have To Do:
The night of our wedding, Eric really made it special with the "heart of fire" in the sand on the beach followed by a private dinner on the pool deck. Perfect! He was also the witness and held on to the rings until the appropriate time.

Maritza used our video camera and recorded our wedding. Priceless!

Eradine wrote our vows. We told Cecilia that we wanted traditional vows never thinking that maybe what we think of as traditional is not the same for them. The vows were perfect and so special. She also ran lots of errands on our behalf, everything from picking up our cake, to picking up our champagne. Eradine also got us more propane when we ran out so we could have a warm or hot shower. And when we shut the safe door too hard and made the batteries fall out, locking all our money and identification inside, she got it opened and the battery case fixed for us.

Cecilia was very helpful to set up several activities for us, including zipline, car tour of the island and fishing / snorkeling. We had so much fun fishing with Capt. Kief that we went out a second day with him. Each of those activities picked us up at the resort and took us where we needed to go.

Other Helpful Information:
Kayaks STILL leak. Ours sank and we had to drag a water logged kayak off the bottom of the ocean back to the shore. Heavy. Not fun. Thankfully, the water was only knee deep when it sank despite being quite a distance out. While walking down the shore on the same day, we met another couple trying to get the kayak they took out that also sank back to the resort shore.

Somewhere I read that the Garifuna Dancers did a show at the resort with authentic Honduras buffet. That did not happen while we were there. I think that maybe it used to happen but not any longer.

If you are looking for a place away from it all to relax under the palm trees, this is it. If you are looking for a luxury resort with lots of built in activity programs for you or your kids, and somebody to come by and bring you drinks, this is probably not the place for you.

Remember folks you are going to a jungle. There are bugs. Life is not as easy or convenient as you may be used to. Go with that in mind and a good attitude, and you will be happy.

Thank you Melissa, Gilroy, Eradine, Maritza, Eric, Esperanza, Cecilia, and Capt. Kief. Our wedding and honeymoon were perfect because of you.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple