“Lovely quiet vacation spot”

The Resort at Palmetto Bay
Ranked #37 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Palmetto Bay Plantation is a beautiful resort hidden away in the jungle from the tourists and cruise ships that frequent the island. The beach is lovely, but do take bug spray to avoid sand fly bites. My husband and I went with another couple and stayed in the Hibiscus Villa which had two bedrooms and baths. The bedrooms are air conditioned which you will need to sleep at night. We spent much time on our deck in the evenings and were never bothered by mosquitoes. My husband and his friend loved diving every day while my girlfriend and I hung out at the beach and enjoyed massages on the pier. We ate many delicious meals here; the salmon was excellent. The staff is exceptional, extremely kind and helpful. Overall a fabulous vacation!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My hubby and I always liked to try new places and getaways, and then stumbled upon the Palmetto Bay Plantation on the net one day. The actual pictures I saw did it no justice, as it was even more beautiful in person. My first impression was that it was small, but the peacefulness and fresh air was enough to have us relaxed.
We stayed in ‘the orchid’ villa and it just blew our minds – so rustic and nature-ly (if that’s a word). That villa had two bedrooms, a kitchen and living room plus it’s the least expensive villa there. The white sandy beach was just beautiful and the water was clean, which was hard not to notice since my husband and I took on the task of kayaking (neither of us can swim) – but it was a great experience.
Cons: Our ac unit didn’t really work properly so even at it’s coolest we were still very hot. Some of the furniture needs upgrades as some of our wooden chairs felt shaky. Also because the location is so remote it’s very hard to get a taxi to go elsewhere on the island especially at nighttime, and even then we had to pay a lot of money to the drivers.

All in all if you’re looking for a busy nightlife that is fast-paced and lively, then this is not the place for you. However, if you need a quiet, rustic and tranquil place to relax and feel calm…this is def' a go!!!

Room Tip: Beachfront villas are great with that fresh sea air
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

found this place by mistake ( some of the best ways to find a place ! ) so we wanted a quick getaway ..everything in westbay and west end were sold out ..... found out about and tried this place on the other side of the island ... very different small ,secluded, away from the hussle and bussle and tourist spots ( the dirt road to get there was an adventure in itself !) nice duplexes out in natural setting nice beach and pool ...secure... we kayaked out tied it to a tree and jumped in to snorkle !!!! was great .... very friendly people some owner/ renters .. but very relaxing setting for a valentine get way ........

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with AC
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jims767
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This place is just the most perfect and tranquil getaway you could imagine. The villas are very delightful and only a few short steps from the beach. This is truly a great place if you're the kind of person who just needs to take some time out of the rat-race, sip on an exotic cocktail and dip your toes into a peaceful sea.

During my stay there I met a number of people who were visiting for the great diving and managed to convince me to try it. I have to admit, it's not really my thing but everyone else really seemed to enjoy it.

Overall a delightful experience, good food, great location and am definitely considering another visit, maybe I'll leave the diving to the hobbyists next time though. I'd strongly recommend this break if you're looking for a genuine getaway or to get some genuine, relaxing down time.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Orchid and found it absolutely delightful.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Palmetto Bay Plantantion is the perfect romantic getaway. With their friendly staff, they make shore you have an amaizing vacation. My wife and I stayed in one of the cabanas on the beach front, and we enjoyed that so much... the privacy and tranquility at Palmetto Bay Plantacion was incredible, the food was amaizing the beaches are so beutifull, it was the perfect place for our romantic geteaway!!!

Room Tip: pool cabana on the beach is very romantic.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Palmetto Bay Plantation is a bit far away from civilization on the small Island of Roatan but this was exactly what i was looking for. After bumpy, winding roads i finally arrived at Paradise. Most of the Cabana Style small villas are footsteps away from the beach. Stuff was a bit disorganized but very friendly and they just always tried to do their best. Food was not gourmet but very tasty and plenty.
Be aware that over the weeakends this place can fill up quite a bit with locals from Honduras. Seems like they have kind of special weekend offers for those guests which i was actually not expecting during the winter season. Just make sure to arrange whatever activities you would like to do in time. I can definitely recommend to do the snorkeling tour. Also - you should know that at sunset there will be some mosquitos around since they try to leave everything as natural as possible. Overall it was great experience since i love Eco Style - quiet - smaller properties like this one. It is just a wonderful place to totally relax.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NayibiMM
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Palmetto Bay Plantation is the perfect spot for a vacation on Roatan. With their welcoming and present staff they make sure you have the best vacation possible. We was staying in a cabaña on the beach front, so the morning swim was only few meters away! When we went in December 2012 everything was arranged and ready when we arrived. Furthermore the staff have good knowledge about the island and can answer your questions, beeing about the community, best spots to visit or how to get the most out of your stay.
Also have to mention that we loved the charming restaurant area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple