“I had some reservations but all were unfounded”

The Resort at Palmetto Bay
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“I had some reservations but all were unfounded”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Wow what a great experience my wife and I had at Palmetto Bay Plantation and on the island of Roatan! We have traveled extensively in the Western and Southern Caribbean and the time we had a Palmetto Bay may have been our best vacation every. Granted the pool and beach are not the tops in the region but the people at this resort more than make up for the minor inconvenience of having a small pool and a weedy beach. Yeah Roatan has bugs and I highly recommend you take precautions as we are still itchy but this place is worth it! Just use lots of spray and heed their warnings. Also, the resort will arrange transport for you anywhere you want to go on the island. We swam with dolphins, visited French Key, West End and West Bay all arranged by the staff at Palmetto.
I highly recommend the resort for special occasions. We had the place nearly to ourselves, got to know the friendly staff and other guest. I can't express enough how wonderful they are. We happen to be at the resort over my birthday and Erick made us a special meal on the beach and baked me a birthday cake without us even asking for that type of service. He also arranged a bonfire on the beach and a heart in the sand for my wife and my 25th anniversary that was unexpected. We were on the all-inclusive and both the food and the drinks were very very good. Lobster and shrimp dishes were both good as was the fish and chicken. Breakfast was also wonderful although I’m not a huge fan of the coffee here.
We also used Subway divers who office at the resort and were VERY pleased with the instruction we were given on our first two dives of our lives (they will not be our last). Darren and co were wonderful and the instruction couldn't have been better. What the resort may lack in beach it MORE than makes up for in reef less than 100 yards off that beach. I've never seen a healthier reef and we have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii.
Bottom line...what a trip...from Cecilia to Erick the entire staff made our stay a great experience. It's a big world and I rarely go somewhere twice but this is a resort we might just have to get a second visit from my family.

Room Tip: Scuba is wonderful off this resort ...saw turtles, moray eels, tons of tiny and large reef life all...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eric p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed @ Palmetto for our honeymoon and it was all we could ever imagine a honeymoon to be and more! We wanted to stay somewhere that was different and unique for our honeymoon not at the typical hotel atmosphere which we usually would stay and Palmetto Bay definitely had that unique atmosphere we were seeking! Cecilia was very accommodating and attentive to all our needs and her staff was excellent and very friendly! We stayed in Casa Sunburst and we had our own pool which was very private and we had beautiful views of the ocean. The pool was also very clean. They set up a private candlelight dinner for us on the beach with our own bonfire one night which was awesome! Another night we had a candlelight dinner on the palapa which was also very romantic. We did lots of activities during our stay outside of the resort such as ziplining and snorkeling and they set up transportation for us anytime we wanted to explore the west end or west bay. We had such an amazing time on our honeymoon that we are going back next year for our 1st anniversary! We might try out the other Villa coconut grove this time! ;)
I would HIGHLY recommend this resort for anyone looking for a more private personal and rustic feel.
<3 Karla & Evan :)

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank KJPNY21
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Please disregard any bad reviews...your vacation is what YOU make it. Yes, there were a few things that went wrong, but nothing so bad that it couldn't be fixed. Bug bites, wear some bug repellent. Out of soda for a few hours, drink something else. As i said above your vacation is what you make it.

Onto my review... Palmetto Bay Plantation is a piece of paradise that you will not want to miss. It is a smallish resort with very personalized attention. There were maybe 15-20 guests the entire time we were there. We knew all of the staff by name and they knew us.(Everyone there, you were great!) Want something different from the menu? Ask away, they will accomodate you if they can. Whatever you desire they will bend over backwards to get you. Emily the resort manager was such a sweet and wonderful person. I sat with her and the night manager, Melissa, many nights rocking away chit chatting about our lives. Yes, it was that kind of resort. The food was phenominal and the chef to die for. Her creations were wonderful each and every night! The dive shop on sight, I cannot say enough good things about. I reviewed them too. Check it out: Subway watersports. Overall our week was fabulaous and I can't wait to return :)

PS- They even made us lunch to take with us when we left to go home. Now that is great treatment!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mommyjamie
Folsom, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had high expectations coming in to PBP. But overall, we were disappointed. We never swam in the "beach". The whole strip of the resort's beach is covered in sea grass, except for the tiny area that was under "construction" during our stay... Men shoveling out grass from the beach and dumping white bagged sand in its place. The staff was friendly and seemed to have good intentions, but some things in our house were broken and never fixed despite repeated requests. One of the drivers, Mariano, is the best thing PBP has to offer. He went above and beyond.

Room Tip: For a nice beach, go to West Bay
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank KristenWolfe
marketingPBP, Director of marketing at The Resort at Palmetto Bay, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Kristen
We are deeply sorry that your experience was not up to par. Unfortunately during your stay we were in the throws of beach repair and had to perform certain tasks in a timely fashion to preserve our beach. Mariano is a great employee and we appreciate your recognition of him. We train all our employees to treat our guests as Mariano did and unfortunately we let you down. We would like very much to make it up to you. And should you return to Palmetto Bay we know you will experience the excellence we strive to achieve.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Having traveled extensively throughout the eastern and western Caribbean at some of the most luxurious resorts and dining and some of the most highly ranked restaurants in the region, I approached this vacation with quite a critical eye.

But here I am, sitting on the beach, staring at the beautiful sea, delicious healthy smoothie in hand, about to begin my sixth day at Palmetto Bay Plantation--and have been so overwhelmingly impressed and truly awestruck by this wonderful gem, that I felt moved to offer an initial,immediate rave review.

The location and grounds are breathtaking. The staff and management are tremendously warm, kind, genuine and accommodating. Every single bite of every single meal has been extraordinary.

And the villas, wow. Incredibly cool, gorgeous Bali-inspired architecture.

I've fallen completely in love with this magical place.

A far more thorough detailed review to follow upon my return to the states next week.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank SaraHillDC
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Pleasure, pleasure amd more pleasure. That´s how I best describe my stay at Palmetto.

The cabañas, are decorated from the stairs to the bathtub with fresh flowers . Rooms are very comfi and tidy. Food, was always some fresh seafood on the menu suring dinner hours, I was served and treated with complety service at the restaurant there.. Massages was very relaxing and I got mine done on the patio of my cabaña. Mosquitos , lots of them , I figured it was just there at the resort till I went to west end and they was just as bad. I do think this is place is worth booking! This place is for couples or singles who want a get away from traffic and busy restaurants and busy beaches vacation....

Room Tip: Cabañas closer to the restaurant have easy axcess
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

Overall the best vacation ever, my boyfriend and I had the best time ever. Never have we been to a resort where staff go completely out of their way to make sure guest are utterly happy.. Everything was perfect, well besides the dirt road trip that one has to take to get to resort. We was told about the road to palmetto, so that was expected . Rooms was always tidy, fresh fruirt was in our fridge as we got there.. It was a dream come true. Want to add an extra special treat that was served up nicely A romantic dinner just for too on the beach.. Loved it Erik .

Room Tip: Cabaña on the beack with a very romantic pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple