“Genuine 5 star experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kitesurf Roatan

Kitesurf Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: Kite School Lessons - Trips - Rental Kite lessons for beginner to advanced riders available. We organize unique Kitesurfing Trips & Downwinders around the Island. If you want to travel light, no problem we also rent kite gear. No matter if you are new to this sport or you have already taken a kite course but some time has passed since... We bring you back in track or introduce you this fascinating sport. We are located in the East End of Roatan, where the wind blows the best. The Kite school is open from December - September. Have a look at our Kite & Yoga or Kite & Dive packages. Please contact us for more informations. We are looking forward to share our passion with you....!!!
Lisbon, Portugal
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Genuine 5 star experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Swimming with dolphins after kitsurfing alongside a spectacular sandy palm fringed cay. And then a a 6K downwinder!
The kite beach is on a massive lagoon and the wind was regular and strong ...12m to 9m kites for most of the time with small waves (while i was there) on the reef and superb and expert tuition from Christian
Very comfortable and excellent value accommodation available at paya bay (10 minute drive) or more basic rooms on site.
This venue would suit the more adventurous learner through to expert as the east end of the island is relatively undeveloped ..... beautiful views everywhere..
I'll be back next year.

Visited April 2014

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great lessons - beautiful location - Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

Thanks Christian for a great experience! ...

3 of us took lessons with Christian in the beautiful Camp Bay over 3 days. I've had lessons in Australia before but got more out of just one hour with Christian than I did in all of my days in Sydney! The location is spectacular and away from the craziness of west end Roatan... My only complaint was that the place is a little hard to find. Overall the lessons and location were fantastic - we all had a great time and really improved our kitesurfing skills.

2 Thank Jodie000
Montreal, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Adventure in Paya Bay with Marilou, Christian and Ben Lou”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is about as far from Cayo Guillermo type setting as you can get. If you are looking for hotel buffets and the all inclusive type setting we all know, this is not the place. What is reality is the following : quaint country setting, challenging dirt road that meanders to the end of the island to destination, arrival in an « Inn » type atmosphere limited to 30 or so guests, choice of 4 cliff side dwellings, 4 other cliff side side dwellings, the beach house which has 6 bedrooms. Yoga platform. Food and drink on a splendid stone terrace overlooking the waves breaking below. This is Paya Bay. There is another establishment nearby which I checked out which cannot be recommended. Talk to Marilou and Chris first.
We were taken under the wing of charming Chris with his Bavarian accent and Mama Marilou, mother of extremely handsome 3 month old Ben Lou, who already speaks English, German and French, and of course who is already flying a trainer kite. By the way, English is prevalent on the Island as it has a strong British background.
I always chose kiting destinations that are multi-activities. That is, if there is no wind, or someone in the party who doesn’t want to kite, there are lots of other activities. Roatan hosts the second largest coral reef in the world and it is a choice snorkelling and diving location. We planned our week with yoga, hiking, snorkelling or diving in the morning followed by kiting in the afternoon. Unfortunately, it always gets dark around 6. It’s the law.
If you decide to climb mount Picachoo on a windless day take some traction with you. Wear long pants for the thorns and occasional tick and watch for plants that cut. Bring a camera. Beautiful views from above. It's a rough walk. Some prefer to go with a guide. Take a couple of dollars for duck, whose property you walk through. If you are lucky she will serve you some fresh wine.
We quickly became part of the Marilou /Christian family, and they are adorable. Generous, caring, and dedicated to making this kiting life plan work. They are punctual and reliable and have staff at hand that will help on the kitebeach or with transporation. Their instruction is hands on and in the water as soon as the student is able. Roxane was up on her board on day 2. And day four, maintaining herself pretty much upwind, but she is a fearless and good athlete, not to take away from her praise of her instructors. Good Core kite equipment is available for hire outside of lesson time.
Do not miss out on the boat trip up to the end of the island, combining sightseeing, snorkelling, lunch at a local village on stilts (with peppers to knock your booties off), kiting on turquoise water, downwinding back to homebase. Totally worth it.
Another « must » is the dinner or dinners at La Sirena, a local seafood restaurant out at the end of a quay. It sways back and forth with the waves hitting the support pillars, or that might be the rum punches. If the cook disappears out the door she is probably catching some fish off the end of the dock. It’s that fresh! And don't miss the key lime pie and the coconut cookies. Oh to die for.
This is not a destination for the typical tourist with cameras hanging around neck and looking for a poolside drink. You have to be adaptable. Electrical brownouts are common and emergency lighting goes on. Plumbing is suspended during that time as well. We didn’t need air-conditioning, although the systems are new and very functional. We enjoyed sleeping with the windows open and the fresh ocean breeze blowing in. Waves crashing outside through the night. Bugs not a problem. So yes, you have to be prepared to be flexible and adventuresome. The crowd at Paya is pretty reserved. Don’t look for parties.
I’ve already started looking for property to buy.
David

Orford, Canada
“AMAZING experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My friend and I were visiting the island and I did not have any expectation in regards to kitesurfing... My experience was just amazing. Marylou is a great teacher, she is very competent, organised and incredibly optimistic and supportive. She made me feel at ease right from the beginning and in a week's time I was confortable with the kite and getting to know the board... Also the spot is very private so it is less intimidating to start and also makes for a very unforgettable first time. The winds pick up in the afternoon so kiting is mostly between 2 and 6pm. We got to see the sunset as well as the moonrise over the water... Breathtaking! And the water is warm so you can stay in a long time and be comfortable. For all those curious about the sport, this is according to me, the best place to get started!! PS For yoga lovers, there is a place close by (paya) where you can do yoga in the morning. The plateforme is in the jungle and the view is stunning, overlooking the ocean.

Portland, Oregon
“Top Notch!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have always been interesting in trying out kiteboarding, Marilou and Chris made my dream a reality! They had me up and out of the water in a day! and I couldn't ask for more!!

The spot is amazing and could easily spend my entire vacation hanging out and learning from the best. Started the day with a kiteboarding 101 you could say, with the magnificent professor, Marilou. She covered gear, wind, power zone, takeoffs, landings, etc. What really hit home was her explanations; she didn't just explain and move on to the next topic. Marilou made sure we understood and once she was done demonstrating, she had us setting up our own gear so when the day came, we knew how to do it on our own. After flying the kite with Marilou, had a quick bite to eat and out to the water Chris and I went. Did some body dragging, explanations on what to do if I lose my board, strap the board on, etc.

I could go on and on about how they are wonderful teachers, at the end of the day, they were great and if you are interested in learning how to kiteboard from some cool people, then Chris and Marilou are right up your alley!

Thanks Chris and Marilou!
Had a wonderful time with you all and had hope to see you again some day.

Luke