“Beautiful and Peaceful”

Blue Harbor Tropical Arboretum
Ranked #26 of 74 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Harbor Tropical Arboretum is home to Roatan's most exotic tropical gardens and some amazing hiking trails. Featuring the only commercial hydroponic lettuce farm in the Caribbean, exotic tropical fruit trees, large orchid collection, heliconia gardens and a conservatory with an indoor waterfall surrounded by lush tropical plants. Enjoy our pond with several varieties of aquatic birds. Breathe deep and take in nature at Roatan's tropical Eden covering over 150 acres.
California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Peaceful”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My friend and I took our 2 1/2 year old kids there. We got an amazing tour of the grounds which have citrus, avocado, local, and exotic fruit trees. Inside the Arboretum there are beautiful plants and ponds and even a huge water fall. The owner, Helene, gave us a person tour and even let the kids feed the ducks. She also sliced open some Star Fruit and Malay Apples for the kids to try. It was a really nice day over all. Next door at the Hydroponic farm the workers were roasting and shelling Cashews. It was cool to get to see them do it by hand and to learn a little about the process. Love it. If you are in Roatan and want a nice, gentle relaxing thing to do: go to Blue Harbor Plantation. It's lovely. Notes:The bathrooms are sparkling clean and really nice. The paths are laid with gravel, so you COULD get a wheelchair through, but it would be difficult... but totally do able because there are no stairs. No food for sale, but cold drinks (soda, juice, beer) are for sale.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank illistyle

Roatan, Honduras
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hydrorific!”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Very cool to see the process of the Hydroponic Lettuce grown here. SO fresh clean and delicious!

1 Thank phatdiver
Roatan, Honduras
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful tropical gardens”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We went out to see the gardens one afternoon and were blown away by the beauty. We live on Roatan and will be lucky enough to go and visit every couple of months and take more people to see as it is a work in progress always growing and changing for the better. We had a personal tour from the designer Helen. She is fantastic with plants of every kind and so much knowledge. She has so many plans for future development. This is a really great way to see the beauty of tropical plants from Roatan. Most of the plants are labeled so it is fun to read and learn each name. There is a large pond which make the place seem so tranquil. There are many duck and they all know her name and comes when they here her.
Congrats Helen on a awesome place.

1 Thank Sunsetspotter
Roatan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Tourists and Locals Alike...go see this beautiful addition to Roatan!!!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Last Saturday we had the opportunity to see this new attraction on Roatan. It is located down the Mudhole Road at the same location as the Blue Harbor Plantation Hydroponic. We had a personally guided tour by Helen Murphy, a long time resident, renowned on the Island for her education, experience in the field of botany and her extensive knowledge of plant life on Roatan. What an experience! The grounds are beautiful and the conservatory building was, "WOW'! When the door opens it really is a surprise to see the well tended, well marked plants, the walkway, the amazing waterfall, and the unique, orchid wall!!!!! There are so many species of plant life and Helen's knowledge base is unbelieveable. The orchard is full of fruits that we had never even heard of before. The Arboretum is a work in progress with more to come in the future. In the meantime tourists and locals alike should get out and see this wonderful asset to the Island...sure glad we did!!!

2 Thank Jimmi1
Holmes, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“STUNNING!!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My daughter and I started with the hydroponics tour and like most people I've bought hydroponic lettuce, basil and cilantro. We all have a general idea how its done but to actually see it and learn about it was so amazing. I had never really thought much about lettuce before but to be surrounded by row after row of the most beautiful perfect greens I had ever seen had me wishing for a bowl and some vinaigrette.
After the hydroponics tour we moved on to tour the rest of the property. Even as I think of it now I'm hard pressed to try to explain all of the amazing plants that we saw. It was like plants from a different planet...the colors, shapes and smells were not like anything I had ever seen. Flowers that looked like lobster claws and leaves that looked like they had been splattered with paint were some of my favorites. (I swear I saw the plant from the Adam's Family)
We especially loved the waterfall, the misty pond and the wall of orchids. If they had a hammock and someone to bring us frosty drinks we would have stayed all week.
Out of all of the things we did this week on island this was our favorite. The people there were not only informative but welcoming and friendly. (it also had the nicest bathroom we saw all week)

Visited March 2012