“Nice day but pricey”

Little French Key
Ranked #2 of 74 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to our Private Island Retreat......Best Moments....Both eco friendly and mystical, this place is built with kindness to the environment and people in mind, Little French Key is where you get back to your essence. Roatan is an uncommon place to rejuvenate physically, mentally and spiritually. .Join us for some of the best moments of your life.....
Nebraska
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Nice day but pricey”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had a good day with just a few issues. I missed the part in planning that it was a 20 to 25 minute ride to Frenchy's so that surprised me a bit. The barge trip over to the island was a comical as it stopped and started about 6 times but we did get there. The trip back on the barge wa quick and they did have vans ready to take us back to the ship.
My husband did the snorkel trip but wasted a lot of time waiting for the boat to go out. No one told him a time just sit and wait.
When we first got there it was crowded and had to find a chair but after an hour or so the Carnival excursion left and made it much nicer.
The animals looked well cared for and we enjoyed the zoo. However "Simba" is too big in my opinion to be out of his cage. He is beautiful but he has large teeth and claws and is a wild animal at heart.
Lunch was excellent but drinks were very weak.
This was our most expensive excursion in two weeks of cruising and other days were a better value. I do not think we would go back but we did enjoy the day.

3 Thank Leftthedog
littlefrenchkey, Owner at Little French Key, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this positive review. The gas quality here in Honduras is not very great and it is very expensive at over $6 per gallon. One trip on the barge of many trips we make each and everyday was start and stop until the dirty gas cleared the line, we do apologize for the incident, but as the review itself states you made it there to the Island without incident, safe and in due course. When comparing prices with other locations please keep in mind that our location is a unique experience in a safe and beautiful Caribbean Private Island located of another Island of Roatan and everything, and we mean everything, ice, water, food, trash, supplies, guests, employees, etc etc, must be shipped here and back at least twice with very expensive and low quality fuel. Yes, Simba is big and we and two full time animal caretakers that have known Simba from the time he was only a month old do make sure that he only comes out on the days that he feels like it and is in mood, thank you... We are very glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer here in Paradise! It is truly the enjoyment of our dear visiting guests such as yourself that makes what we do all so worthwhile....May G-d Bless you and your family

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denton, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ruined the rest of my cruise”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had such a memorable experience at LFK it was the highlight of our 7 day cruise. Unfortunately it was the first stop. Animals, hammocks, white sand and an aquarium like reef cove. While my son and I dove off the platforms and snorkeled all day the wife was busy playing with all the monkeys and other wildlife on this sanctuary of an island. We found her just in time to play with the Jaguar. What a beast. Had lunch of lobster, shrimp and chicken. Order yourself a couple of Tornadoes with the 2 drink tickets and you wont need any more drinks for a while. The family that owns LFK couldn't we more welcoming. They are ever present and the staff were all very helpful and nice. This place seems really open thanks to the 100 person limit. Went to Belize and Cozumel and wished I was back at LFK the whole time. If you are looking a place to do your own thing and relax, do yourself a favor and book a stop here. I wish I was there now and not at this dumb ole job.

5 Thank Mr M
littlefrenchkey, Owner at Little French Key, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post this great five stars review. We are very glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer here in Paradise! It is truly the enjoyment of our dear visiting guests such as yourself that makes what we do all so worthwhile....May G-d Bless you and your family

Fullerton, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Simba”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Had the opportunity swim w/ Simba (the rescue Jaguar)....it was a thrill of a life time and his handler Matheau was awesome. When we went to Lil French Key it was not in our plans or thoughts to do something like this but it was the highlight of our trip. The island is AMAZINGLY beautiful and the staff was very friendly.

2 Thank Shu13

Monroe, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Tropical Paradise~ An absolute must do!!!~”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

What's not to love about this place!~ We booked our day at Little French Key thru them rather than the cruise ship~ $98 per person included transportation to and from, an awesome meal, 2 drinks of your choice, snorkeling around the key and they also take you by boat to snorkel the 2nd largest reef in the world~ You can swim, layout, kayak, paddle board, jump off of a high platform into the water, plus they have island music playing, puppies you can play with, lots of other wildlife including tropical birds and you can hold and play with a little spider monkey named Lisa~ I fell in love with little Lisa!!~ The only thing that I didn't like was the jaguar enclosure~ The jaguar was used for photos and swimming with people for an additional cost~ His enclosure is small and he is too big to play with people now~ I saw the trainer get bitten the day I was there~ The trainer did take him out to "work with him" and we watched from a distance~ He was kept on a leash, but should be free in a really nice sanctaury somewhere, for his sake, and before he harms someone~ Other than that, we had a really wonderful time~ I highly recommend a visit, or 2 or 3 visits here!~ :)

5 Thank DeborahandAntho... E
Thank you for taking the time to post this great five stars review. We are very glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer here in Paradise! It is truly the enjoyment of our dear visiting guests such as yourself that makes what we do all so worthwhile... FYI Our Jaguar, Simba's enclosure is about 30 times larger than the one he was in at the circus from which we rescued him from it also contains a dipping pool and sleep and eat safety enclosure within it, don't know which enclosure you are referring to in your comments but rest assured he is a lot better off at our location now...Simba loves to swim and play and he only gets out,and swims and plays if he feels like it on the days he wants to do so.....May G-d Bless you and your family

New Providence Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A dream come true!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

I visited The Little French Key on May 28 whilst on the Vision of the Seas, Royal Caribbean. I found them right here on trip advisor and they made one of my lifes dreams come true!! I am from the Bahamas so beautiful water and island life is not new to me but playing with animals like monkeys and jaguars that were rescued is VERY NEW!! I love cats and have always wanted to have a big cat...as that is not possible lol...playing with Simba the jaguar was my dream come true! Beyond that the food was good, the water clear and warm, the decor so pretty and the people...so friendly. Thank you Mathew (the trainer) for my experience with Simba! It was the best time of my whole cruise!!

1 Thank Tessa-Simone
Thank you for taking the time to post this great five stars review. We are very glad that you enjoyed what we have to offer here in Paradise! It is truly the enjoyment of our dear visiting guests such as yourself that makes what we do all so worthwhile... .May G-d Bless you and your family