“We love this place.”

Captain Van's Rentals
Ranked #74 of 190 Outdoor Activities in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: We have been in business since 1998. We offer guided & self guided tours and rental transportation for the island of Roatan. We have been in business since 1998, and are proud of our reputation. Please come visit us in the West Bay Mall. We also offer rental deliveries to those staying a far distance from West Bay. Plus our store offers a great selection of wine, liquor, beer and everyday items. Get in touch with us.
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We live in West Bay and have always loved going to Capt. Vans for DVDs to rent, buy, or rent it and keep it. We also get our phones and minutes there and adore Murray and the staff who are friendly, knowledgeable, professional, and will help you rent a scooter or pick out a new release with a smile. We do have a personal relationship with Capt. Vans because we have been going there for many years and considers the staff friends.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed at Turquoise Bay, about 50 min ride from West Bay, the bike was delivered the same day, a pretty smooth and fast transaction, got a great heads on the island amenities, just a wonderful experience, got to ride to Punta Gorda, french cay, got to see the dolphin's and many other activities. It was mi GF's first bike ride and we did it on a BWS 50 it's such a little Gem, bike in great condition, got amazing shots just Amazing!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My husband and I rented a scooter for one day while we were in Roatan, and we had a blast (my husband now wants his own scooter)! We were a little nervous because my husband had never driven one before, and we had already witnessed the pot holes and crazy drivers. However, it ended up being a lot easier and less scary than we expected. We just stayed to the side of the road so cars could eaily pass us. Dodging the pot holes was quite interesting, but not bad at all! With Roatan being such a long narrow island with lots of hills, there are so many fantastic views that we would have never seen if we hadn't driven around the scooter! We used the scooter to take us to Jungle Canopy Zipline tours in Coxen Hole, and then drove over to West End from there, then back to our hotel in West Bay. I was impressed with Captain Van's knowledge and professionalism. We will definitely rent a scooter from Captain Van's again if we go back to Roatan!

1  Thank Rbarsha
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I go to Roatan often on vacation and will never rent anything from this place. First the guy wanted to rent me a scooter. Those things are very dangerous in Roatan. I told him I needed a real bike. He rented me a Honda 200 CC that was a real piece of crap. No tail light, Barely working front brake, Worn out front tire, Busted speedometer and so on. $ 50 U.S. for that piece of work . And then the guy tells you not to go to the very east of the island because you are going to get robbed. He just doesn’t want people taking his bikes on the dirt road.

1  Thank Ed R
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Hello Ed. Thank you for the feedback.
When you came in to rent from my West End location, we had no motorcycles available at that time to rent; and that is why we suggested a scooter. Scooters are not any more or less dangerous that renting a motorcycle. They can handle any hill on Roatan, are easier to drive, and are our most popular rental.
The next day, when you came back to our business, the Honda XL200 motorcycle was just returned by a client, and you rented it.

I have reviewed your comments about the XL200 issues, with my West End staff. After my investigation today in regards to the XL200 that you rented, we indeed found that the break light does not function when using the front brake lever. This was due to a stuck switch, which we will looked into and repaired. Note:The brake light worked fine when using the rear brake.
The speedometer cable was repaired when a client let us know about the problem earlier this week. We thanked him for his comments.
We test drove the motorcycle today. There is no problem with the front tire on this Enduro, and the front brakes work fine,and are not worn out.

Ed, it is important for us to get feedback from our rental clients. They are our best method of finding out if there are problems or concerns. We ask all our customers to tell us about any problems, when the rentals are returned. We received no comments from you about any problems when you returned the XL200 motorcycle. If you would have notified us during the rental period, we would given you another rental in exchange. That way, we could have addressed any repairs that needed attention. At the very least, you should have let us know when you returned the rental. That would have helped us a lot during this busy season.

Captain Van's has been in businss for 10 years. We pride ourselved on our maintenance.
In this case, we let you down, and I made my staff aware that we need to do more in regards to being proactive in "looking" for possible problems, in between clients renting our vehicles.
In this case, due to it being high season and all the motorcycles often being rented out, we never got the chance to test drive this motorcycle between rentals. We take responsibility for that.

In regards to warning clients about not going to the far East end of Roatan, I have given specific instructions to my staff. They are told to warn our clients in regards to a couple of "holdups" that happened in 2014 on some of the less traveled gravel roads at that end of the island.

Ed, we are only being prudent by warning clients of these events. It may not happen again, but we feel that it is better saying something, than not telling our rental clients. Today, I had a client that wanted to go to the Hole in the Wall in Jonesville on a scooter, and I informed them of the 2 previous robberies. They thanked me for the information. They went to the east end of the island anyways.
This warning is not about us not wanting clients taking our bikes on gravel roads. Far from it. The Honda motorcycles that we rent are Enduros and are meant to be used on any type of road.

I really appreciate your comments, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to get your business in the future.

Thanks,
Murray Russ
Captain Van's Rentals.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We rented a scooter twice from Captain Vans, both times everything was great... They have great scooters, and also rented 3G Internet Modems. Great service at a fair price. I would highly recommend renting a scooter and taking it across the Island it is is a great way to see Roatan. Be warned the roads getting out of West End are pretty rough, but after that if is all fun.

Internet Service is spotty at best, nothing to do with the rental, but the cell service in Roatan.