“Took $600 and has been a run around ever since. Don't bother!!!!”

Captain Van's Rentals
Ranked #68 of 167 Outdoor Activities in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: We have been in business since 1998. We offer guided & self guided tours and rental transportation for the island of Roatan. We have been in business since 1998, and are proud of our reputation. Please come visit us in the West Bay Mall. We also offer rental deliveries to those staying a far distance from West Bay. Plus our store offers a great selection of wine, liquor, beer and everyday items. Get in touch with us.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Took $600 and has been a run around ever since. Don't bother!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We hired a scooter 3 weeks ago, put a $600 hold with a prepaid travel card if we were to cause any damages, which we didn't. They failed to tell us it takes 30 days for money to 'come back' to your debit card, 'allegedly'. However, we have heard that many stories we don't know what to believe and have called a dozen times only to be told 'so and so is at lunch', 'call back in 48hrs', or we have sent a letter to your bank, the problem with that is it wasnt from a bank, it was pre paid via the post office?!!! Save your money and go elsewhere! We just want our $600 back! The decent thing would be to transfer it direct to our account instead of wasting our time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jessbenn
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thanks for the comments. Your feedback has made me aware of changes that needed to be made at the "point of rental", in regards to questions asked to our customers, prior to renting.

When a person rents a vehicle, scooter or motorcycle, we require a temporary damage deposit. This amount is held in case it is needed to offset any and all damages incurred while rental is in the possession of our client. We look at every credit card to determine if it is a valid credit card, as the banks will not allow us to do temporary authorizations on Debit Cards. WHY? Because banks are great at taking people's money, but not so good at putting it back into people's accounts. In the case of a debit card, there is no temporary hold when we obtain an authorization approval; rather monies (cash) are debited from the cardholder's bank account and held in limbo for posible payment. When we attempt to cancel a temporary deposit, the banks will only do so after a 30 day wait on debit cards.
That is not good for the client, and we tell them at the point of rental.

Credit Cards are different. The temporary authorization obtained is only a "hold of credit" and the deposit is released to the clients 24-48 hours after the return of the rental (after inspection for damages).
Your card was neither a Debit Card, nor a Credit Card. It was a prepaid "cash card", where you transfer a fixed amount to a "one time only" card purchased from various retail outlets (not from a bank).

When you made me aware of the situation on July 9th via email, I investigated your claim, and I sent a request to my Honduran bank to cancel the authorization, but was informed that it was NOT a bank; and that it would take 30 days for you to get your monies released by your cash card people. I contacted you, and you gave me a contact email for the cash card people, and my bank sent that letter to your card card company asking to cancel the authorization. You also asked for a copy of the letter, so that you could follow up with them.

At no time, did Captain Van's have your monies ($600USD), and therefore we could not refund anything.
This whole situation was unfortunate and indeed frustrating and time consuming for all involved, and due to this, I have instructed our staff to look at all the credit cards that clients give us for the damage deposits. Any cash card, (which cannot be used for a damage deposit), will NOT have the client's name on the card, and they must immediatley inform the client that this card cannot be accepted for the damage deposit.

I believe, we have resolved this issue going forward, in regards to these new "cash cards" and our need for a temporary damage deposit.

Thanks for the feeback.

Wenatchee, Washington
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“thanks ronald!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

rented a scooter. good deal, $1/hr but comes out to $28 w/ tax. i paid the extra $6 for insurance and it was $4 to fill up the tank. i took it to punta gorda and back. another place quoted me $35 up front before the other fees so i think this will be the best deal you can find. ronald was also really helpful in telling us certain places we could go, etc.

Loudon, Tennessee, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Scooter Kings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

My travel buddy and I rented a pair of scooters from Captain Van's and kept them for 24 hours. The price was $24. I wish I had budgeted for scooter rental for my entire stay. Our scooters were used, but in good mechanical condition, fueled to the top, and ready to run. The guys at the rental shop couldn't have been nicer. No hidden fees, no tricks, just fun on two wheels. I should caution you if you haven't ridden a scooter very much that it is really easy to get into trouble. Not because of the scooter, it's doing what it is designed to do, but because of the small wheels, the power band, and the distractions you will encounter. It seems to be Honduran law that whatever you are driving should be driven as hard as you can drive it at all times. That's what the other drivers on the road are doing. Do not do that. Do not throw caution to the wind and try to get in there and mix it up. You will have a much better time if you stay back a little and keep your speed down. Scooters can also suffer from crosswinds, and there are plenty of them on Roatan. Try to give yourself as much room as you can between oncoming traffic and the edge of the road. Don't go flat out at first. Watch out for traffic jams and speed bumps and school children, and slow drivers. There is a learning curve and it's better to screw up slower than faster. Don't let these cautions deter you from renting a scooter from Captain Van's. It is the coolest thing you can do out of the water, literally. The breeze cools you off and feels wonderful. And it's great fun to just jump on you scooter and head where you want, when you want. If I were returning to Roatan today, my first stop after my lodgings to drop things off would be Captain Van's to rent my scooter. They will get you a great scooter at a great price, go over the rules of the road, give you an introduction to the scooter, and off you go. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Visited June 2013
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
David. I want to Thank You for your comments. All too often, people who rent transportation on our island, forget the basic rules of defensive driving.
Your feedback to prospective Captain Van's clients is "bang on".
While I am biased and I fully agree that a scooter is the BEST way to see our island; it is only wonderful when the drivers are aware of the traffic and what is around them. Don't take chances. Drive slow and enjoy the beauty. If you want to sightsee, pull over and get off the scooter. Otherwise, keep your EYES on the road in front and behind you.

I am also glad you were able to take advantage of our low season pricing of $24 per day plus taxes. If you are coming to Roatan in late May, June or July, and also in Sept, Oct and Nov, you can take advantage of these savings off our normal season pricing.

Thanks for the business. If you are coming in high season, book your scooter in advance to ensure we have a scooter waiting for you.

Murray R
Los Angeles, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Place is great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This place was great. Bikes were good and the price and customer service was excellent. Thank you Cesar for going over the map and road rules with us. Great way to see the island.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Good, flexible prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

We rented a scooter from Vans. Good condition and a good price. I would recommend renting a scooter while on Roatan...here is so much to see and taxis can add up! The service at Vans was quick and efficient, and very friendly. We got there and was on the road within 20 minutes. Also depending on the number of days, pricing is flexible...at least at Vans in West End (not West Bay).

Visited May 2013