“Professional Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Van's Rentals

Captain Van's Rentals
Ranked #70 of 170 Outdoor Activities in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: We have been in business since 1998. We offer guided & self guided tours and rental transportation for the island of Roatan. We have been in business since 1998, and are proud of our reputation. Please come visit us in the West Bay Mall. We also offer rental deliveries to those staying a far distance from West Bay. Plus our store offers a great selection of wine, liquor, beer and everyday items. Get in touch with us.
Orillia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Professional Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Three of us rented scooters for a day from Captain Vans, everything was handled professionaly, all the i's were dotted etc. on contracts, damage deposits returned promptly and the service was friendly. We had a blast going as far up the island as the Iguana Farm which was also a fun experience. We travelled half way up the island and back for about 3 dollars, and the cost to rent the bike for 24hrs was 45 dollars, what a deal.

Visited January 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Took my money, would NOT help me”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went into their store at 4:30 ask for internet. Paid $27. No customer service. I must be stupid because I asked how to do it, busy with other people and i entered wrong. 1 hour later I have NO internet and NO money! They would not help me. Wow Thanks for nothing. Kinda ripped me off!

Visited January 2013
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We fully appreciate the the fact that you lost your prepaid time for your modem/cell phone. Captain Van's sells the prepaid cell phone network time/minutes to our customers, and we verify that they know how to activate the prepaid package, before they leave our store.
We are not responsible for activating your internet packages or other promotional packages from the different phone networks.
In your case, my two employees confirmed that you knew how to activate the TIGO Internet package, which involved sending a text message to TIGO; requesting said package. Tigo then responds with a confirmation; at which time you can then activate the data connection.
In your case, when you returned to the store, my staff called TIGO support staff on your behalf, and found out that you did not send a request, or if you did, you did not have sufficient prepaid time to purchase your internet package. This is likely caused by leaving your data connection enabled during the activation process, which eats up valuable prepaid time resulting in not having sufficient prepaid balance to purchase the prepaid internet package.
Due to the fact that you did not receive a confirmation from TIGO (in regards to a prepaid Internet package), you ended up using all your prepaid time within a hour, based on the much higher "per minute" data price.

I am writing this message to inform you that TIGO has now changed its procedure, which now allows us to both SELL your the prepaid time, AND at the same time, PURCHASE on your behalf, the prepaid Internet package...all in one procedure. You are not the first client to "lose" their prepaid time, due to an error in the activation procedure on the client's part. We complained about this, as we are only responsible for selling the minutes/time.

I tried to email you, but you did not respond to my email.
I felt this was the best way to state, that:
1) my staff, did indeed help you in regards to discovering why you spent all your money. We are not responsible for refunding your error. You purchased the prepaid minutes and used them according to TIGO customer service.
2) TIGO has now implemented a new procedure for retailers that sell their prepaid minutes (like us), ensuring that their phone/internet customers cannot make any error, when now activating their prepaid internet plans. This will help alleviate these types of errors and frustration at losing their prepaid time...too quickly.

Thanks for letting me respond.
OWNER
Captain Van's Rentals
ROATAN
Reno, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Rented a scooter while on the island. Very friendly service. Had to provide a 600 deposit in lieu of a credit card which was all paid back. Got a flat while driving within 15 minutes (yikes). Luckily a friend of ours was able to call capt vans and they came out and fixed the flat within 30 minutes. Would rent from them again. Quick note though---I think the number on the stickers is outdated for contact. we used the number off the reciept. :)

Visited September 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ripp off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have no idea why nobody didn't post a review of this place yet. I went with my wife to buy a card for our cell phone. At first everything seemed fine. But looking around we notice that the lady behind the the desk didn't even pay attention to us and when we told her what we wanted she immediately ask us for our credit card . We thought it was weird but since we just wanted 30 minutes to buy , we decided not to make a big deal. Long story short she charged me 34 dollars on my credit card ...and she already went though and charged me for it. She said it was 1 hour. We came back next day and the owner heard us complaining about it and DIDN'T DO ANYTHING. He told us that he wasn't there when it happened and it wasn't 1 hour it was 2 . We realized that the employees are trained to do things like that . He kept calling me BUDDY ...which didn't sound very professional to me . He refused to returned the money adding that it was the employee mistake and if we wanted he would make her pay it from her pocket back!.
The whole time we felt that he was ripping us off. The place looks like an horrible Rental copy DVD store .
We strongly advice ...ANYBODY... to avoid this place by any means!

Visited July 2012
CaptainVans, Owner at Captain Van's Rentals, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank You Rolando for your feedback.
When you left the West Bay location after our discussion in the morning, we agreed that you were going to return at 1PM, so that we could address the situation with the employee that did the transaction from the previous evening.
She began her shift at that time, and I wanted to know what had transpired.
As you know, we verified in the morning, that your cell phone had indeed received 2 hours of prepaid phone time, and that you paid the correct amount ($34USD) for that transaction.
Your issue that you asked for less than that amount needed to be investigated, since the amount that you paid for and the amount you received, were correct.

Since you did not return at 1PM, as agreed to, nor at any other time after, our management could not resolve the issue.
If you wish to contact me about this transaction, I would be more than happy to assist.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Make Captain Van's your first stop on Roatan!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Captain Van's Rentals, with two convenient locations in West Bay and West End is the best place to go as you begin your adventure on Roatan. The owner and staff are VERY knowledgeable on just about everything there is to see and do on the island. You can pick up an inexpensive cell phone, which is a must have during your visit. You can rent a 3G internet stick for easy internet access everywhere on the island. Rent a scooter, a motorcycle or even a car or mini van. They have some of the best rates around and the service is unparalleled. Feel like staying in one night during your vacation? Stop in and rent a new release or a classic on DVD. The establishment's owner has great taste in movies and will recommend a perfect choice for you and/or your family. When I visit Roatan, Captain Van's is always my first stop before taking in all that Roatan has to offer!

Visited June 2012
Jeremy,
It is always appreciated when a client makes the effort to post their feedback.

Since you are a frequently returning customer that takes advantage of ALL of our different services, we are especially thrilled about the fact that you took the time to mention them all.

We appreciate it, and we look forward to seeing you and and your family again on Roatan.