“Learned how to drum!”
Review of Steel Pan Alley

Steel Pan Alley
Ranked #37 of 79 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer a totally unprecedented opportunity to truly feel and live the Caribbean musical experience.Within the space of one ninety-minute course any guest, regardless of previous musical experience or education, will learn to play the Trinidad steel drums and sound like a professional.We promise zero-to-music in one session!
Reviewed July 28, 2012

The 4 of us went to steel pan alley and learned how to beat on steel drums. Although it was hot, and I am practically tone deaf, we all succeded to play 3 songs with the help of the instructor, a former music teacher from the states who now devotes her time in teaching the kids of Roatan to fulfill their musical whims!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Friends bought my husband and I this activity for our Roatan honeymoon, and we really enjoyed it. As promised, the instructor and students will teach you to play a few songs by the end of your lesson, and in between you will learn more about the pans from the quirky, good-hearted, and expert teacher. She is a character. Loved her straight forward commentary about the island's politics when asked. The students helped out, and were fun to joke with and learn from. I totally recommend this, and suggest that you get good directions for yourself, your cab driver, or have the instructor meet you/pick you up.

1  Thank cmwrig04
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Steel Pan Alley serenaded us at our daughter's wedding. Great job kids ... keep up the good work!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband stumbled upon this place while planning our adventures while on Roatan. While it was a bit hard to find, once we were there, Deborah and her students Moses, David, and (another little dude who I can't remember his name) were wonderful! Deborah has used her teacher's retirement savings to open up this place for kids to come and learn the steel drums, hoping to give the a future and keep them in school and out of trouble. To help with opperational costs, she charges tourists $30 for an hour and a half lesson. By God, you will learn how to play a few songs and you will sound great!! We were amazed that we played Mambo #5 and a song by Bob Marley. My 12 year old and 10 year old, had a blast and so did we. It was definitely worth the drive and would highly recommend it to anyone on Roatan.

2  Thank TravelinMaMa38
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Everyone should do this. Such a nice escape from the typical beach excursion. Deb picked us up right at the pier from our cruise ship. We had 5 people - age 9 to 80 - and ALL loved it. You learn by doing - not reading music - so no experience necessary. If you have played any type of mallet instrument for any moderate amount, let her know and she might let you play "lead" depending on what song she picks. Much easier then I thought it would be. And she'll take video or pictures while you play - just ask. Her students are so polite. Wear sneakers - if it rains, it can be muddy where you park. And ask Deb in advance about transportation. If she's available, she can drop you at the beach instead of back at the port. I would probably do this class again on a future cruise. It was that fun. You can buy tshirts or CD's at the end - very inexpensive, and no pressure to buy. Very nice hostess - felt like I was visiting a friend.

1  Thank samflorida34683