“Great Time”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Blenheim, Canada
“Great Time”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Place is in a beautiful setting with beach, snorkeling, deep sea fishing. Food is so so but was not bad. Better than expected as it was not a 5 star resort. Swimming in ocean was great. Pools were smaller and not too deep. Cabanas were great. Nice to have our own hut to go to. Water pressure was good fro showering.
Agree with other reviews. It is a quiet place to go. Staff are really good. Don't expect a super, super place but can be restful. One bar is adequate but a little more choice in drinks would be good. Wife went to the spa and thought that the masseuse was excellent. She enjoyed that part of the holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Dave W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We did our research and were delighted that what we'd expected and hoped for was exactly what we got - and more in some cases. This is a wonderful resort to spend a quiet week as a couple or with a friend. The landscaped tropical gardens, spacious romantic rooms with airy balconies, expansive decking throughout the resort with wonderful ocean views all exceeded our expectations. Snorkeling was a big draw for us and there are great options both off the beach and off site.

The resort itself is relatively small but spacious, there are just over 100 rooms and all are private cabins. The cabins are surrounded by gardens, flagstone paths connect you to other parts of the resort. The main area comprises a large reception area (helpful staff) with a decent 24-hour gym attached and large restaurant ‘amphitheatre’ connected by an open breezeway – free wifi in reception and breezeway, fairly reliable connection. Surrounding these buildings and extending towards the beach is an incredible amount of wood decking (very Canadian) used to gorgeous effect. It surrounds the main pool and the bar and leads you to the small plunge pool, it’s finished with long railings where you can look down to the beach and out to sea. The beach is relatively small but never felt crowded. Because it’s a private beach there are no vendors and it’s also quite safe to leave your things while you snorkel or lunch. Friendly “animacion” staff will wander by with the afternoon cocktail to try or invite you to join stretching or pool volleyball, but it’s all very low-key and they don’t interrupt your snooze or couple time with loud announcements or music.

Having read that buffet food selections were limited and repetitive at times we were realistic about what to expect at a Honduran resort. There is however plenty of selection at all meals and the quality is good – some dishes were too bland, others were surprisingly tasty, sometimes there was no bacon or bananas at breakfast, other staples were abundantly consistent. If you have reasonable expectations and a flexible attitude you will have no issues with food selection. The waiters are a mix of experienced and friendly - and young, keen and friendly – a great bunch. Our Canjet package included one ‘a la carte’ dinner. This had to be booked at the front desk and weather permitting it’s served in a magical setting on the ocean-front deck.

Bugs were not an issue during our visit. We saw no mosquitoes but did see some sand fleas and got a few bites in the latter part of the week – this was after some bursts of heavy rain so not surprising. We hadn’t realized until we saw it early one morning, but the resort does regular fogging for bugs, which helps explain how scarce they are.

Great snorkeling was a big priority for us and we weren’t disappointed. Going from the beach is convenient although there’s a limited amount to see – there are some decent patches of coral on the right side, and rocky cliffs to explore on both left and ride side. There’s also a ridge of coral in the protected bay next to the dive shop. If conditions are windy, as they were for us, visibility is low as the sand is stirred up, plus the waves make swimming more challenging and approaching the rocky cliffs is out of the question. Joining the dive boats for their morning or afternoon excursion proved to be an amazing experience for us. You are unaccompanied in the water so you have to be competent and confident enough to snorkel independently. Reasonable cost, short boat ride, maximum time in the water – on our two outings we saw a huge variety of coral and fish, it was magnificent. A more substantial cost, but well worth it, was the full day snorkel excursion (group of 20-30 people) to Pigeon Cay. The trip tours along the south coast, through the mangroves and around the eastern tip of the island, pulling in at a small village to pick up fresh lobster for lunch – so you get a good sense of the island. The trip stops at small Cow and Calf Islands for shallow, colourful snorkeling and later at a small shipwreck for more snorkeling. The final stop is stunning Pigeon Cay – picture a small, uninhabited tropical island surrounded by unspoiled coral for fabulous snorkeling, followed by a bbq shore lunch sitting on driftwood on a white sand beach surrounded by clear blue water. This is exactly as magical as you’d imagine, the kind of experience you’d remember all your life…

So, if you’re looking for a party place with lots of activities, Media Luna is not for you. If you’re not comfortable with the realities of visiting an all-inclusive resort in a developing country like Honduras, this is not for you. But if you are looking for a gorgeous, less developed tropical island surrounded by coral reef and clear blue water, you should consider Roatan. If you want a gorgeous, secluded, unspoiled spot for a glorious vacation, this resort is a gem!

A few suggestions for Media Luna that would make the resort even more appealing and successful:
- market this resort as exclusively adults only, it has huge appeal in this category
- provide some umbrellas for shade options on the beach and several additional umbrellas on the pool decks
- provide more daytime snacks beyond the one late afternoon selection at the bar
- one centrally located bar seemed sufficient but enhance the selections and quality of bar drinks

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Suzanne157
niagara
Reviewed February 11, 2014

First the good:
The place is absolutely beautiful. Very true to its natural surroundings. Everything is nice and clean. I loved the cabanas. They were of good size and each had a good sized deck. We were at beach front, or actually beach view. They are not situated right by the beach. It is up the hill, but we did have a lovely view of the water.
The employees were all very friendly. We had hot water issues, but was fixed right away. Was also good that we could get some Canadian channels so we could watch the Olympics and Toronto maple leafs play.
The snorkeling right off the water from the resort was amazing. We saw so many nice coloured fish, lobster, lion fish and I know of some who even saw a squid. The coral was absolutely beautiful to look at and the water was so clear.
We hired a cab to take us around the island. We were with him for 5 hours and he showed us everything that we were interested in. He told of the history of this island and showed us some interesting sites. His name is Wordy, so ask the front desk to send him down for your tour. He had a great sense of humour and stuck by us to make sure we were not getting ripped off. We found the island beautiful and the people fantastic.
Now for the extra perks they could do to make this place fabulous:
A bbq with burgers and hot dogs and bbq chicken etc.
Another bar would be good.
The food got better as the week went on, but they should replenish the food that was gone. If you were there by the end of buffet time, the pickins would be slim.
More fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices would be nice.
More variety of drinks at the one and only bar. Just rum, vodka, beer and tequila is included. And the list of drinks was minimum.
The beach has no shade so a few shade covers would be nice and it is not like the beaches of cuba, so don't expect long walks on the beach. The pool is small but again, shade is at a minimum.
Bugs were an issue for me. We called them "no see em" bugs. The bites are very ichy so take benedryl or after bite and also deep woods off and put it on day and night no matter where you are.
All in all, we did have an excellent trip. We did come for the snorkelling and was not disappointed there. This is a third world country and we knew that going in. The island is beautiful, the people were all very friendly and will return to Roatan some day. Just don't expect this hotel to be a 5 star.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank lolajann
Toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We just returned from Media Luna a couple of days ago and we really enjoyed ourselves. I see there are a lot of bad reviews but come on people, what did you expect for $1100? There are a lot of trade offs for this resort. You get beautiful weather, gorgeous beach, great snorkeling and your own cabana. The water bottles are a bit annoying and the food was so so but I never expect any all inclusive food to be great. By day 5, I was hungry for some real food. We brought lots of snacks with us so we were ok. The drink menu may not be extensive but that didn't hamper our trip. The entertainment was ok but we aren't big on the shows anyways. The bar is only open until 11pm so it would be better if it was open later. Just throw the staff some cash and they will give you drinks to go. We would like more food available throughout the day. A BBQ with burgers, etc would be amazing. They do need another bar at the resort as well. There are definitely things they could improve about this place but we enjoyed the staff and the island. One of the staff toured us around for a day and we had an awesome time. Definitely recommend The Argentian Grill in the West End for lunch. Delicious! We also visited Mayan Eden, got to hold a monkey and do some ziplining. Very reasonable rates. We came home with great new friends, fantastic tans and lots of memories. If you are an easy going traveller, you will enjoy this. If you are cheap and expected 5 star for the price, that's your own unreasonable expectations coming out. The people were very friendly and we loved Honduras. Definitely will return to Roatan.

Room Tip: We stayed in 165 and had a peek a boo view of the ocean. We loved having our own cabana. No slamming...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank lynzilu77
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Media Luna
DAY ONE
Already I am not impressed with this resort. To start the bus that picked us up could barely get up the hill to the resort. It just didn't have the power and at times would roll backwards. Cliffs on either side, scary ride. Check in was fine, efficient and quick. I did not like having to give them an imprint of my visa including my signature on a blank amount. But if I did not do it I could not have a room. Just leaves me uneasy. The water situation is bad. You get two small bottles in your room, that is it. You must save those bottles for the week and fill them up at water station, one close to rooms. Water tastes like chemicals. Now for the food, in one word yuck. Very little selection and what there is does not taste good. We will see how it goes but I suspect I will lose weight on this trip (added bonus). We went to our room at 5pm to shower and prepare for dinner at 6:30. When we tried to shower there was no hot water so I let it run for 20 minutes thinking it would eventually get hot. It didn't so I went to the front desk to ask for help. The guy came room right away but all he did was turn on the shower and both taps and left. 45 minutes later he had not returned so I went back to the front desk only to be told there was nothing they could do, that was the temperature that was available - not quite ice cold but cold, not even lukewarm. The woman at the desk was very rude about it. So we asked to see the supervisor. By this time it is past 6:30 and we were not able to meet our friends for dinner trying to resolve the water issues. Finally someone was able to get hot water in the room at about 7:30pm. So much for having dinner with friends.

DAY TWO
Things are not getting better. I found out why the food is so limited and bad. THERE IS NO KITCHEN ON THE RESORT! All prepared food is brought in by truck. You can only get food at specific times so you better be there during the breakfast lunch and dinner schedule. Get there early cause when it runs out there is no more. The juice is powdered orange juice or fruit punch. No Fresh fruit other than watermelon and cantaloupe which I can get at home. There is also a very limited selection of mixed alcohol drinks - all powder based mixes. No piña coladas because no coconut milk. Are you kidding me? Who doesn't serve piña colada on a resort? The staff are not very friendly or if they are it is with a fake smile or laugh. At least the air conditioning works well in the room. Wifi in the lobby has also been quite reliable. And the weather is gorgeous, blue skies and 35 degrees. I had a deep tissue massage at the spa and it was very good. The price was reasonable, less than I would pay at home. I kept my underwear on for the massage which the girl frowned at. She then just pulled my pants down below my cheeks so I might has well been naked. If you are shy a massage may not be right for you but I was ok with it. I booked an exfoliating massage for tomorrow.

DAY 3
The weather is absolutely gorgeous and the pools are small but nice. There is plenty of seating but few umbrellas so hard to find shade. There are no umbrellas on the beach at all and it is full sun so we have stayed by the pools. We ate a la carte last night. You get one a la carte per week which you book at the front desk. They showed me two menus one with fish options and one with chicken options. I chose the fish and my husband chose the chicken. I thought we would get to choose which fish or chicken dish we wanted from the menu but you can't (so I am not sure why they even showed you a menu)? You just get what they put in front of you. It worked well for me, my ceviche appetizer was excellent and my fish the same. My husband was not so happy with his chicken. It was cooked in a very sweet sauce and not very good. There is no restaurant, you eat your a la carte meal in the same place as buffet but if the weather is nice they put tables on the deck. The weather was nice and we ate outside looking over the ocean. A few bugs but not as bad as others have said in their reviews. I went to the gift shop and found a bottle of balsamic vinegar but there was no price on it. I asked the girl how much and she did not know. She said I would have to wait until later when the manager arrived to find out the price. Odd.

DAY 4
Things are better today. It rained all day but I encountered more friendly staff and the food was better. Fresh pineapple and papaya on the fruit tray, very nice. And finally piña colada at the bar, yay! It was from a mix but better than nothing. The lunches are all quite good, dinner not so much but today was better selection at dinner. Watched tv and the stations are very good. Can even get CBC and CTV from home so good to see local news. Had an exfoliation and massage at the spa, it was great. Again, price was very reasonable. I won't say what I paid since I never see anyone talk about prices so I think trip advisor edits that out. But less expensive than Toronto spas or other resorts I have been to. A good day in spite of the rain.

DAY 5
Another day of frustration. My husband dives every morning and finishes around 12:30 each day and I like to greet him at the dock. Today I was there at the usual time but they were not there. I was told they would be back by 1:00. At 1:45 they were not back and lunch ends at 2 so I went to eat and made a plate of food for my husband and his friend when they got back. At 2:45 they were still not back and I had been sitting in restaurant holding their plate of food for almost an hour. The waiter came and said there was a special meal for the divers when they returned and took the food i had saved. By about 3 the divers were back and given plate of salad with a piece of fish about the size of a tablespoon. When they complained that this was not enough food the staff brought out the plates I had saved. I guess they were planning to eat it for themselves? And why was I not told they would not be back until 3? If the restaurant knew what time to expect them, why didn't the dive shop? I could have been relaxing by the pool instead of waiting, getting food, sitting in restaurant... waiting. So frustrating! I hate it here.

DAY 6
The bar snacks are really good but the rest of the food remains pretty bleh. Weather is beautiful and pools are nice. The beach is full of sand fleas and everyone that goes there gets eaten alive so we have avoided the beach. One of the locals told me that only this side of the island has sand fleas. Resorts on the other side do not because of where they are positioned in the jungle. Went zip lining and it was amazing. I was quite afraid since it was my first time but Kenny and Tyron from Caribe Tours did a great job and made me feel very safe. They even zipped with me each time because I was afraid I could not control the brakes myself. I highly recommend the zip lining!

DAY 7
I will be glad to get home, this holiday was such a disappointment. I absolutely would never come back here, this resort is a two star at best.

5 Thank barbara m
Reviewed January 30, 2014

As stated earlier, the trip from the airport was quick. The staff was friendly. From there on, it was downhill. The food was nothing to write home about. If you didn't arrive at the beginning of the meal, there was rarely enough left or any selection. There was no yogurt in the morning. There was an espresso bar but they didn't know the difference between a latte and cappuccino, so really didn't matter what you ordered. There were never enough soup bowls or spoons. The bar is understocked. No gin or tonic or lemons....lots of limes. They ran out of rum and then grenadine. When checking out, there was one person at reception....she was very nice. The little gift shop at the resort is overpriced. A small bag of chips cost $2 US....at the other Henry Morgan resort it was $1...why the difference? No explanation. The sand fleas were alive and well regardless where you were, be it at the beach or at the pool. Granted, it was rainy season however, this was ridiculous. The cabanas were nice however basics like Kleenex and enough towels were not available. Since there were no phones (which really didn't bother me), you had to go back to reception to ask for extra bath or hand towels. When you did ask for them, they came quickly, but why should we ask for these things. The couple of evening shows which they had were really nothing. They beach area is more of a bay, so, if you like walking on the beach, this is not for you. I did understand that the diving and snorkeling were awesome. We were there for a wedding. It was a large group, over 80. Realizing that the group took over half of the resort, some concessions could have been made as far as the closing everything at 11 was concerned. Overall, I found the resort to be poorly managed...the staff were young...smiled and friendly. The Island tour was nice.....when you go for the "Monkey la-la's", they are not included in the price of the trip so, be prepared....they are very sweet...so, if this is not your thing, don't buy it, they are $8 US.......This is very far from a 4 or 5 star.....I would scale it at a 2 star.....over priced for what you get.....

4 Thank mcjacso
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Only a relatively short ride from the airport and once there the staff is smiling and friendly. Other than that, not much positive to report. Food is, at best, edible, repetitive and laden with salt. I lived on potatoes and bread. Variety of drinks is very limited and extremely poor quality. Cabanas are spacious but cleanliness is an issue, primarily because staff is not provided with appropriate resources. Towels look like they have been used to wipe the floor. Beach is very small but water is beautiful. Bugs are not visible but WILL get you despite anything you spray on yourself. Definitely not a repeat for me.

4 Thank joanna4162014