Media Luna Resort & Spa
Clarion Suites Roatan at Pineapple Villas(French Harbour)(Great Value!)
$85
West Bay Lodge and Spa(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$140
$126
  • Breakfast included
Foster's West Bay(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$109
$101
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$226
$197
$630
$264
Orbitz.com
$179
  • Breakfast included
Paradise Beach Hotel(West Bay)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Breakfast included
The Beach House(West End)
$175
Travelocity
$716
Travelocity
1,040 results
All reviewsaqua adventuresentertainment staffair transathenry morganisland tourfishdive shopocean viewtransat repwest endlarge deckoceanfront cabanasand fleasaqua gymfree wifi in the lobbybar closesbug spray
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Media Luna Resort 14-21 March 2013. We wanted sun, sand, sea and total relaxation. We got it all! It was a most wonderful week. The cabana had excellent views of the sea, plus the lush plant life surrounding us. It was clean, with very comfortable beds, plenty of closet space and the "loo" was spectacular - great design - and quite large - with two individual basins as well as "privacy walls" for the bidet and toilet. We loved the hammock on the very large verandah - very comfortable indeed. There were also small table and two "director" chairs where we read, feet on table! The cabanas are situated in such a way that ensures maximum privacy for all. The beach was cleaned several times a day, plus the water (leaves removed). We kayaked - first for me! There are plenty of tours available, excellent snorkling, diving, swimming, four pools, multi level decks for relaxation. Everyone we met (staff) were so kind, courteous and really couldn't do enough for us. We had massages, pedicures and facials. All were superb. We watched the sun rise and the sun set and never tired of doing so. We enjoyed the yoga and aerobic classes. The evening shows (not every night) were entertaining and not too long, giving a nice sense of the island culture. Diane met us at the airport and gave us a first rate, informative briefing the next morning. The food was good and plentiful, but we discovered once "the Italians" arrived, the quality improved immensely - more flavourful, more dishes from which to choose. I was enjoying the food before the Italians arrived, but the difference was quite stunning. The resort is Italian-owned! It seems that Canadians and Italians come on alternate weeks - so, if you want lots of "European food" (I found it to be quite salty in comparison to earlier meals), then book when the Italians will be there (they travel on Sundays - Canadians seem to travel on Thursdays). We went on the Island tour and our guide, Hortensia Rose MacKenzie, born on the island, was like a hen looking after her chickens - she knew where we were all the time and gave us the opportunity to wander if we didn't want to drink in a bar. So I went shopping and wandering, looking at the homes, etc., and joined them later at the bar! One of us was unwell and Hortensia used native remedy to settle the stomach (my friend felt better immediately!) and ensured she was taken back to the hotel. She was up and dancing that night! Another holiday maker had the beginnings of an upset stomach and used the same remedy - it worked amazingly quickly also. Hortensia was knowledgeable about the island and seemed to know everyone. She is a delight and this made it so easy for us to chat with the islanders. I thoroughly recommend this tour. We also took a taxi one day (four of us) and were able to visit one of the complexes being built for tourists, with condos and rentals; the taxi driver knew someone so we were able to access this "gated" community. We also visited one of the local schools. We had taken down school supplies and discovered at the airport that we could have taken down 22 kilos of humanitarian aid for free, plus our own luggage. As it was, we managed, but next time, we will inform the airline in plenty of time so that we can take down more supplies. We also took dolls, cuddly toys and clothes, some of which were left at the school as "rewards" for good work, etc. The islanders receive small salaries (if they have a job) but as practically every item is brought to the island, the cost for basics of life is roughly the same as we pay in Canada so be generous with your tips and bring school supplies with you, plus clothes, toiletries, etc., etc. We were sad to leave and will definitely come back again for sea, sand, sun and total relaxation. I hope they use less salt in the food next time! And that is my only "quibble"! The photos attached do not show the true beauty of the place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank BritTravller
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stumbled upon this trip while frantically searching for a vacation with extended family. There were 8 in our party, 3 grandparents, an uncle and a family of four with two boys, ages 10 and 7.

I honestly don't know where to begin on how wonderful this resort was! From the moment we were greeted at the airport until he moment we boarded the plane home, every second was perfection.

The resort is located on a secluded cove on the east end of the island, at the complete opposite side from the airport. We never once heard a plane fly over or had any noise at all! It is quite removed from the rest of the island, so if you want supplies, stock up while in town, although you won't need anything. If you are looking for nightlife, this isn't the resort for you, but if you are looking for an amazing, relaxing, tranquil and peaceful retreat this resort can't be beat!!

Rooms: we had 3 cabanas and more than enough room for all of us! Each porch had a view of the water and all were surrounded by amazingly lush greenery! We never once felt crowded, or that we were sharing space. The rooms exceeded our expectations, always spotless, one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, and an amazing bathroom with a standup shower and double sinks.

Service: I have travelled quite extensively and have stayed in many resorts, and was also in and associated with the hotel business at the business/luxury level for many years. I can honestly say that the staff at this resort, as well as the staff from Aqua Adventures were by far the best I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. Always smiling, always willing to chat, always willing to "play" (poor Jimmy had to spend over an hour playing water polo with my relentless son!!), they absolutely made our vacation even more spectacular!

Isabella in the spa deserves a special shout-out! From the first interaction with her she was always approachable, knew our names and was so fun to be around! She is also one hell of a masseuse! I have never felt so relaxed, and visiting her in the spa was the perfect way to wrap up our week.

The entire staff at Aqua Adventures were amazing!! We did the discover scuba session, took the boat trip to Barbareta Island (a spectacular day on the water that I would highly recommend !), and deep sea fishing with them, and every step was seamless. I can't think of one negative thing to say about our interactions with them, they treated our kids like family, were always fun and funny and more than willing to work with you with any special requests. The only negative thing I can say about our "water" adventures relates to the deep sea fishing... The day we went the fish just were not biting. I love to fish and understand that this happens more often than not. Unfortunately we were out on the fishing boat for over 3 hours with very little interaction from the boat crew. The trip was over $100/person and they didn't make any effort to engage with us, no snacks or drinks were provided and it made for a long afternoon. I don't think this is anyone's fault, just not what we thought we would experience because every other person we had interactions with were AMAZING!!

Food: I found the food to be wonderful! The buffet was always well stocked and the food was hot! There was enough variety to offer something different every day, even with the same types of foods being offered. Our kids are quite picky eaters, as are we, and I think I gained about 10 pounds while there! I do not eat seafood or fish, and was able to keep myself well satisfied the entire week. The a la carte dinner was fantastic. Unfortunately it rained the evening we had ours, so we were inside, but the food was perfect! I had the chicken, and it may have been the most tender chicken I have ever had. The chef was always present and was willing to cater to reasonable special requests, and always had a handshake and smile. The serving staff was always attentive and ready to clear your plate or bring a drink, whatever you need!!

The guys at the bar were so much fun! They learn very quickly what your favourite drink is and usually have it ready when they see you coming. The "posse" of kids that ours hung out with would order virgin daiquiris by the dozen and the guys never complained about having to make them! They joked with the kids and adults alike, so nice to see.

Every night there was some type of entertainment after dinner.

We rented scooters one day and went touring the island, went zip lining, and two of the grandparents went on the guided island tour. They raved about how wonderful it was.

We read the past reviews on tripadvisor before we left, so went expecting an "okay" trip. Every single thing in the negative reviews was proven false on our holiday. We had no issue with bugs of any sort, the food was amazing, and the staff blew our expectations out of the water.

I honestly can't think of a negative to say about the resort, the staff or our experience! We loved it so much that we are actually returning (2 couples this time, no children!!) in April. I used to think Costa Rica was the most beautiful place on earth, but after last week my ranking has changed and the Media Luna on Roatan is my new #1 favourite place!!

12  Thank Diannedesavoye
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was very pleased with our stay at the Media Luna. I would definitely like to return to the Island and to this resort.

Facilities - excellent - the cabanas are very comfortable - there are hammocks and decks attached to each canbana - peaceful - a home away from home - nice beds- quiet at night -beautiful gardens - you can always find a spot to be alone while looking out to paradise.

Food - I was quite satisfied with the food. Excellent chicken, pasta and fish. The expresso \ capiccino cafes were the best! It might be nice to include snack food during the non-restaurant hours. Also, I didn't really enjoy the a la carte. The meals were served en masse so in my view, it was very similar to obtaining my food from the buffet. Bring your own wine if you like the good stuff. Frozen cocktails were very good.

Staff - Very accomodating & friendly. All request were addressed. The front desk staff (Becky & Cleo) are very competent and provide client friendly service. I found all the staff to be hard working without big expectations for tips (however, they should be tipped!). In my view, they treated all guest equally.

Spa - My deep tissue massage was the best! Isabella is highly trained in massage therapy. She's a true professional with a warm personality. The spa facility is quite nice. You certainly won't regret booking a service there.

Sea & beach - I did miss walking a long beach. I went to West Bay & enjoyed my long walks there. However, Media Luna has a nice small beach, good swimming and excellent snorkeling. You can snorkel around the resort or join the dive boat for a morning or afternoon session (small fee). The water is warm & full of marine life. I loved snorkeling.

Entertainment - I didn't participate much in the activities or attend the evening shows. There's not much in the way of enterrtainment but the staff are really nice and tried hard to get the guest motivated. The morning stretch \ yoga was great. If you want to party, go to the west bay area resorts.

Guests - Nice vibe. Respective guests during the week I was there. This matters to me because difficult guests can influence the mood of the staff.

Excursions - This island is amazing. The towns are interesting. Drives are scenic. Islanders are very friendly. Go to the campbay area for a real excusion. I made my own arrangements with an islander tour guide. He was excellent - vast knowledge of the island and low cost tours. Contact Dan Johnson at dandan_johnson@yahoo.com

Thank you Media Luna for an excellent week.

4  Thank Trudester
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We came back from the resort March 4, 2013 and we had a wonderful time. The staff are very friendly. I'd like to thank Ronnie, one of the servers at the restaurant. Very pleasant young man and speak good English. Also thank you to Francesco, the chef. He goes around talking to all the guests and we found the food to be good. My husband like the fish in particular. In the spa, I can't remember the name but the Australian lady who did mine was great. She is very good in what she does.
The lay out of the resort is in such a way that the guests have several options where to relax. The multi-level design of the place allows guests to relax in quiet areas if they do so prefer. Regarding our accommodation, we were given a cabana the first night that was not ocean view. I told Lucca, the Director of the resort that we paid for an oceanfront and the next day he moved us to #147 which has the full view of the ocean. Thank you, Lucca. So wonderful. We watch sunset almost every night. The atmosphere is like being in a tropical paradise. I can't wait to come back and I told my husband that next time, we will stay two weeks.

Room Tip: select Cabana #s 147,148,149 and 150 have the full view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank irene048
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our family stayed at Media Luna over the March Break and we all had a fantastic time. This resort is isolated from town and the other hotels (we liked this) and was very safe.

Arrival : We arrived and were greeted by the entertainment staff who offered punch while we checked in. We were shown to our cabin (everyone has a cabin of there own with a large deck, hammock, table and two chairs). We arrived in time for dinner, so off we went. I am still trying to figure out why on earth people complained about the food.

Food : Yes the buffet is small, but really how much can you eat at once ? At breakfast you have a choice of : fresh made omelette (choice of onion, ham, green pepper and tomato) hard boiled eggs or scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, home fries, baked beans, pancakes, french toast, regular toast, cheese, cold ham, fresh made donuts and croissants, papaya, pineapple, watermelon, mango, canteloupe, oranges and grapefruit (they rotated the fruit - but you always had a choice of at least four different fruits at every meal. They also had hersheys chocolate and strawberry sauce, syrup and jam.

Lunch and Dinner : At every meal they have pasta, with a different sauce each day, my favorite was the spicey red sauce and the olive oil and garlic ! There is also fresh bread, at least two or three different meats like chicken, pork, beef and fish (all very tasty), a variety of vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, carrots, fried onions, egg plant, potatoes (each night a different kind including garlic mashed, baked, scalloped and roasted) rice (again prepared differently each evening), one day there was pizza another day there was burgers (awesome) and homefries) so honestly you would not go hungry. Just remember if you were at home would you eat pasta, meat and potaoes and fish all on the same night ??? I think not !!! I haven't even mentioned the salad choices yet : coleslaw, iceburg lettuce, cabbage, shredded carrots, onions, olives, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, potato salad ... and the list goes on. So please do not worry about the food - it is very tasty and there is plenty of it.

The Room : I love having a porch with a hammock, it was great for an afternoon siesta. The rooms all had double sinks, the water pressure was good and the water was hot. I liked the beds and there were lots of pillows. The air conditioning works very well and the rooms were kept spotless. The TV has CNN, CTV, Teletoon, Animal Planet, Global and a few other channels (all in English). There are plenty of towels and you can get clean beach towels at the front desk everyday.

Activities : The staff are very polite and encouraging but not at all pushy. When it is time for an activity they will walk around and ask if you would like to join in. They have stretching, aqua gym, volleyball in the pool, dancing and if it is raining they will offer bingo in the lobby. There is also a games room that icludes two pool tables, two ping pong tables and fooze ball.

Snorkelling, the best place to snorkel is off the dive shop dock. Head down after breakfast and you will be greeted by Rocky he will explain where to swim out and get the best snorkelling.

Trips : we travelled with Nolitours and our Rep Diane was very funny and informative. She will give you a list of the trips available with the prices. We did the Island Tour and is was great. For $ 69.00 you leave at 8:30 am on an air conditioned bus and stop at the highest point of the island on the eastern side to take photos, then to the iguana farm (where there are at least 100 iguana's of all different sizes and colours (some do love to have their back scratched), there are also birds, two monkeys and some fish and turtles). Next stop is Mayan Eden - where you see all the stages of a butterfly and if you are up to it you can hold a tarantula (they don't bite - they feel like pipe cleaners ) you can taste the nectar out of a flower and watch the butteflies an hummingbirds. Then you take a small hike and view replicas of the Mayan ruins and learn about the Mayan calendar. You finish up at the "animals" There are a variety of small animals that you can hold ( sorry, I cannot remember the names of all of them, but they are cute and furry). Louis the monkey will sit on your shoulder while you feed him. Ther are also parrots and toucans - and you can go in the cages to take photos). There was also a 5 month old baby monkey who was adorable. Then we went to Henry Morgan Hotel for lunch. It was a buffet similar to our hotel. Everyone went for a swim after lunch and then we stopped at the Roatan Rum company - this was a popular spot to buy rum cake and what else : RUM !!!! Then it was off to West Bay for some shopping a the little shops along the ocean road. On the way home we stopped at a grocery store where alot of our group bought more rum. 9 hours after we left we arrived back at the hotel with alot of new friends and some great memories. Note : They had two buses, one had an english speaking tour guide and the other had a french speaking tour guide). They also had a full day snorkelling trip for $ 169.00 per person that we did not do but some others we talked to really enjoyed it.

Other things to know : Each night at dinner they had entertainment, from dancers to singers following dinner you could head out to the bar on the deck for drinks and dancing until 11:30pm. Then everything shuts down and the resort is quiet (we loved this !!!!!)

There is free WiFi in the lobby, and plenty of comfy couches to relax in and catch up on your Ipad or Skype with family back home.

Bring a reusable water bottle, they have purified water in the lobby, weight room and the dining hall to fill up. They will have two bottles of water in the fridge in your room you can also use. They have a small gift shop at the hotel that sells drinks, snacks, clothing, sun screen, jewelery mugs etc.

They do not accept Canadian dollars, the currency to bring would be US dollars. Remember to set aside $ 39.00 US for each person for depature tax (you will pay this at the airport on the way home). They also have T shirts at the Airport for $ 7.00 ( alot of people bought them on our flight home) and well as a ittle food bar selling sandwiches, chips and drinks.

I suggest you take a clothes line from the dollar store, I put one up on the deck to try bathing suits and towels.

We did not have any bug problems - but apparently the sand fleas can be bad and when it rains there can be mosquitos. They recommend applying sunscreen and the putting baby oil on top to keep the bugs from biting, and if you do get bit, apply vinegar to help with the itch.

So overall we had a fantastic vacation. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway with good food excellent snorkelling and friendly people this resort will fit the bill.

9  Thank Travebug38