“Good option if you can get it on sale”

Media Luna Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm well travelled and not new to all inclusive resorts. As well, i am an easy going person and do not have super high expectations when i travel as i have backpacked and appreciate any amenities offered since i know how it is to travel with none. Now, Media Luna is beautiful, but small as in not a lot of ground to cover. There is one lobby, one dining room and then there's 'smoker's alley' in between. One bar and a large multi-teir deck. I would say its better suited to couples overall. You have three meal settings a day and if you miss them then you are out of luck; this was not a problem for us as we just planned accordingly. We were not super impressed by the food, but there was always something we found to eat enough to satisfy out appetites. Foodies would likely have a coronary here.

The cappuccinos are great, but not served all day. I found this frustrating. Wait staff are descent and mostly clear plates, but most times you can ask them for a drink and they'll get it for you. I think they shy from asking if you'd like anything because their English is poor.

The one bar was almost always open and the bartenders were really great!! Victor And Eddie were my favorite although there were two girls there who were fab as well just didn't catch their names; one knew English very well. We tipped them well and they often went above and beyond for us including serving us marginally past 11pm when the bar closes. Yes you read that correctly, the one bar closes at 11pm every night.

The animation team is a great group of people! Noel, Nicole, Lina and Jimmy :) they really made the trip fun and got people involved in the activities offered like aqua gym and dance lessons, which were always a good laugh.

The Friday night excursion to west end with Douglas was fun!! Blue marlin was our favorite bar and we ran into all kinds of people from all over there and had a blast. They pour triples so take it easy with the drinks there :)

Douglas runs the excursions from the resort to west end and to shopping etc. he's a sweetheart as well.

The Saturday night dancing at Roa was an experience. It's a sketchy club with lots of shifty looking locals and a person in our group had an expensive leather jacket lifted so mind your belongings if you go, but it was good to go and dance with the friends we made at the resort.

Snorkelling is great right off the beach at media Luna over by the yoga deck towards the dive shop. We went on the hole in the wall cruise for all you can eat lobster and steak. The boat ride was great and food was descent. Stopped for snorkelling on the way back, which was nice as well. Glad we got out on the water and it was only $55.

If you want to get off the resort and explore ask Becky at the front desk to call you a cab and have her ask for Fernando. He knows enough English and is a great spirit. He drove us to punta gorda for a seafood dinner and it was to die for!! Also you can jump to French harbour for the supermarket and stock up on cheap booze for after hours drinks and snacks etc. they also have an ATM at the supermarket. They give you limpiras out of the machine and the cashier changes it to usd for you.
Pack of smokes on the resort is $3/pack. We got a carton of Belmont at the gas station for $22 (ten packs).

Overall I had a blast cause we had a group of 6 close friends and we made our own fun and as I said we are not very picky or stuck up. Are there things you could complain about, sure! Did it provide me with a good holiday? Yes! Now I only paid $880cdn all in for a week here. If I paid more I may have felt differently. You serve yourself a lot, but really.... You just look out over the water and go swimming and realize who cares! It beats bein in Ottawa with snow and frigid temperatures out.

Friends stayed a second week and will be exploring Utila and other islands so I can't wait to hear about their adventures.

In the end the resort was clean, which was paramount for me.

Yes there were a lot of Italians, but the chef and some staff are Italian so they naturally gravitate to their own 'people' but if you make the effort, they are all friendly and treat you well. If you take offence and walk around with your nose up then expect to be treated the same in return. Simple.

Wait for a sale and go to media Luna with an open mind and I think you will be pleased :)
There are scooters to rent and if you dare you can rent a car, just watch for the potholes.

Oh and enjoy the trek into the resort!

Happy travels!!!

Room Tip: We were in 157 and 159, which were a short stroll to the main lobby. Some cabanas are a lot further...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
15  Thank SSrdarev

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I travelled with another couple and we had a fantastic time. I am not saying that the resort is perfect, but we did have a great time.

Before we left I literally read every review of this resort from others and looked at all the pictures as well. Despite many negative reviews and comments, we still decided to book at the Media Luna because it looked so beautiful in photos - it was even nicer in person.

First let me tell you about the positives of the resort: it is beautiful, the food is great (for a third world country), you get a large hut all to yourself, the rooms are very clean, you a lot of tv channels (if you are inside due to weather conditions), many (not all) of the entertainment staff are fantastic (Nicole, Jimmy, Noel, Lina, Douglas), the resort is very private and small and you get amazing snorkeling right off the dive center dock.

Here are some of the common misconceptions regarding the resort:

Food: the food is NOT made at the Henry Morgan and brought to the Media Luna. The raw ingredients are just shipped to the Henry Morgan and then brought over to the Media Luna. The resort has their own chef, Francesco. The food does get boring over a week; however, who wouldn't get bored going for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner for 8 days in a row (even if it was at your favourite restaurant)? There is an omelet station for breakfast and for lunch there is a pasta station and the same for dinner. At dinner, there is always a choice of two meats, two pastas, two rices, desserts (although I was not a fan of the style of wet cake they served), fruits, salads, etc. Not sure what more variety you can ask for from a resort of 120 or so rooms. Also, the chef/staff does not limit the amount you take - they are there to serve the hot food items and if you want more you just ask; similar to any served buffet you would experience in Canada. I also did not see them run out of any item. Of course the dishes would be emptied, but they would then bring in another tray from the kitchen. Also, the staff that eat with you are the entertainment staff and they would serve themselves about 30 minutes to 1 hour after the buffet was served and would sit and eat and chat with you if you are okay with it (they ask you first). My only concern with the food is that Francesco should sometimes opt for making his dishes with less key ingredients and that he should offer other dessert options (rather than the wet cake).

Bar: The bar did not run out of drinks during our stay and the drinks were not watered down. The drinks were poured as you asked them to be and the bartenders would often have your next drink waiting before you even asked for it. The blue lagoon is a squirt of a lemon wedge with some ice, vodka, and blue curacao - so this is all alcohol, no water and it was fantastic, but on the stiff side. The bar did not have many limitations - you could pretty much get whatever you wanted, with the exception of higher end scotches, etc which you had to pay a premium for. Also, the drinks were served in a pepsi paper cup that is larger than the average cup size you would get at a bar in Canada and the bartenders were more than willing to pour your drink into your Bubba or bottle that you had. The bar was open daily from 10am until 11pm (sometimes a bit later). Also, it should be noted that this resort is not for partying. Everything is closed and lights are out around 11:30pm. If you want a great party spot, I hear West Bay Beach is where you should be headed.

Catering to the Italians: Yes there was some favouritism shown to the Italian guests, but this was mostly by the staff from Italy. They barely spoke English (if at all), so what can you really expect it's an Italian owned resort, with an Italian chef and Italian management. Most of the entertainment staff, front desk, cleaning, and wait staff are Honduran or from other areas of central america and they do not favour the Italians - just talk to them and they are more than happy to assist you with whatever you need.

The beach: The beach is on the smaller side, but it was never crowded. Also, the beach is rocky, but it is sitting next to a reef. Frankly I would be quite disappointed if the resort brought in sand to eliminate the rockiness of the beach since this would slowly kill the reef from the silt! Also, there are jellyfish but it is the ocean on a reef! That is where the jellyfish tend to stay for food to survive. Be prepared and watch out for them and pour vinegar on the stings if you do get stung. Also, there is a large amount of sand flies - again you are at a tropical resort. They fog the place two times a day, what else could you ask for? Bring and wear your insect repellent to prevent being bit.

The huts: they are amazing. Yes you can hear the ocean, the music from the bar and rain on the roof, but you can turn on the fan on the air conditioner and it drowns out all sounds (even in the closest huts). The huts offer you a lot of private space with a nice deck and hammock and they are vey well maintained. We seriously could not have asked for better accomodations.

Activities: There are plenty of activities posted on the board (e.g. yoga, volleyball, dance lessons, aquacise, hikes, mall trips, excursions, kayaking, etc. Again, not sure what else a small resort could offer. There are plenty of excursions you can book off the resort for a great deal - you just need to do your research first and plan it out.

There are some ways that the resort could improve and some info that may help you enjoy your stay at the Media Luna:

- there is only 1 A La Carte per week which is served in the one and only restaurant on the resort and if you don't book right away you may not be able to partake.
- Antonio (the Director of Entertainment) does not lead his staff very well and does not speak English. However, the actual entertainment staff were fantastic. They even did yoga and aquacise for only 2 people and volleyball for only 4. They will definitely go out of their way to make you happy and to entertain you.
- The hotel excursions are not exactly as reflected on the hotel's webpage and they are quite expensive. I would suggest booking with another local tour company, which would save you a lot of money and it is more private
- The hotel is not Adult only as stated on the hotel webpage. Kids are welcome and we asked Diane the Nolitours representative and she informed us that children are welcome and that the website just has not been updated to reflect this.
- The resort does not tell you this, but the best snorkeling is off the dive dock. Just swim out to the reef that you can see peeking out of the water and you have all the coral and fish you could ask for. If you swim out further you can see the wall where you can see larger fish which is cool. We spoke to many of the people that took the excusions through the Dive Center and we actually did one ourselves and the snorkeling is better at the resort.
- If you get rain, the activities are basically non-existent and it becomes very boring. Bring something to entertain yourself.
- The road getting to the resort is terrible and we could not leave the resort for a couple of days because there was too much mud and none of the vehicles could get through it. The road is privately owned and the owner does not let the resort upgrade it which causes problems.

I strongly recommend this resort if you are okay with the above noted comments. We had a great time and I hope you do too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KTRWAnderson
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I travel several times per year, Roatan, was our most recent destination. Roatan, itself absolutely Gorgeous, Media Luna on the other hand, while being situated on amazingly breath-taking land, and the Resort itself beautiful... This hotel is NOT ready to host guests. We wrote them a letter on our return to Canada, then a follow up too see if they even acknowledged it... NOTHING. Our intentions were to give them an opportunity to reply, maybe even apologize. Not a response back! So its only fair, we let our fellow Canadians know what to expect...First off, we Canadians are the minority at this Media Luna Resort, however; the only ones spending any money on tips, excursions etc. Food was extremely limited, and repeatitive, what food was there was disgusting. Staff, stand around, with no guidance on what to do. There are only three per day, and most excursions are booked during these seatings. Once the kitchen was closed, whether you slept in or were out on a excursion... you had nothing! As far as all inclusive... if you eat what and when they say... drinks, if you like watered down Rum, my husband and I are not rum drinkers... so we found ourselves having to buy wine, and other premium drinks $6.00 each, and that is when the ONE BAR on the resort decides they will serve you! Often times fellow Canadians along with us, were served last or not acknowledged at all. Wine is only available at dinner, and then again, be prepared to reach into your pockets. This resort is owned by an Italian, and it is VERY APPARENT, whom the Media Luna catered to! It is over run with very rude obnoxious "guests"! Greasy wheel gets the oil...As far as the diving it is breath-takingly beautiful, there in Roatan! Please, find another resort, if you fully intend to enjoy your vacation! As I mentioned earlier on We gave Media Luna, the opportunity to respond; however, as with our service there... they don't care about the dozen or so Canadians! They have plenty of beautiful resorts in Roatan, please save yourselves the heart ache of having the experience we had. Every Canadian we spoke too during our stay had the same treatment. Luckily, we found things to do off the resort, and returned many nights just too sleep! No where near a 4 and half star resort...by any standards!

Room Tip: It won't matter what your requests of room are... you get what they give! No upgrading, no matt...
6  Thank ChristineKenny
Reviewed January 28, 2013

It's a shame that such a beautiful Resort with so perfect natural resources leaves you with such a negative experience. My wife and I travel 2-3 times a year, always to different countries but we have never experienced such a lack of management and common sense.
Food is horrible and plane, not to mention limited choices. Sometimes we had no meat to eat. Sometimes dinners were just great. But they never seem to find the perfect edge in between. It was also insulting to some point to see the Chef controlling your portions at the buffet!!!! Let me remind you that it's all inclusive resort! Wait stuff was friendly but very slow.
Nonetheless, we praise the AquaAdventures stuff, especially Mirta. They went above and beyond to make every dive memorable and exciting.
If you are not a diver, make sure you bring your snorkeling gear, it's just amazing at the hotel!!!
If you dont dive and snorkel, find another hotel, there is nothing else to do in there!
BTW, I found its hard to have a good sleep in your room, those small houses were making lots of noises when wind or rain hit the roof. Even after 3 dives a day I couldn't sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dzmitry B
Reviewed January 26, 2013

It has taken me a few days to be able to write this without tears. This was my first vacation in 3 years and was unfortunately one of the biggest dissapointments of a lifetime. I am only writing this in the hope that I will help one person avoid what we went through. I will begin by saying that this place has a future if someone will step in and make it what it "could be" instead of what we endured. The resort is about a half hour from the airport and incredibly remote. You have read about the food. It is worse than you can imagine. The same thing is served almost every day and what isn't cosumned is part of tomorrow's menu. The plates, cups and glassware are chipped, stained and wine (when available) is served in rock glasses when the wine glasses run out. If you miss breakfast lunch or dinner there is nothing in between and every meal runs out of food. The food that is available is usually covered with flies. It rained for 6 days of our vacation and many days the road to the resort was treacherous, and many excursions were cancelled. The entertainment was pathetic. Two night's there was dancing and they went around with a tip jar after performing. I was stunned. We watched as people came, were horrified, and demanded transfers. We survived the week and found positive things. 1. We met people that became friends and were able to laugh at the unbelievable. 2, The beds were comfortable and the cabanas spacious so we got rest. 3. There is nowhere to go but up as we survived the worst vacation of a lifetime. Lastly, we did snorkel on the 6th day and it was unbelievably beautiful. The bottom line is this however, please, save yourself the heartache and book elsewhere. I wouldn't want this to anyone else's story.. book anywhere but here.

7  Thank Wendy L
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The grounds and the cabana rooms were excellent. The maid service was great as well. The food they served was just edible with very little choice and just a tad better than Cuban food. The staff wore T shirts with logo on it ,only a few wore a uniform. Meal time 6 or so kids lined up as if in an attempt to greet you but were just in the way and barely moved out of the way to let you pass with your dinner. They stood around laughing joking or texting on cell phone, one even changed his T while we dined which was classy. They watered down the booze because they ran out several times. The snacks were terrible and the staff ate as much as guests did leaving even less. The Canadians all had same complaints while the Europeans were treated a lot better. The ocean snorkeling is great. At the shore gravel kills you getting into the ocean ,they need to rake it and put sand down. They need to get the kids out and bring in adults who care enough to work. 200 words isn't enough to say what's needed.
HM resort Nolitour never again.

3  Thank Dan T
Reviewed January 19, 2013

DIVE CENTER : 5 stars

DIVE STAFF : 5 stars

Romain is an outstanding instructor and just a great guy to dive/hang out with. So is Harold, the divemaster. The very nice lady with blonde curly hair (manager/boss) Giovanni, the two boat captains, the other 2 guys who's name I don't know....everyone was 100% pleasant to be around. Extremely helpful staff, passionate, competent. My diving expectations were far exceeded.

SPA / MASSAGES : 5 stars

Heavenly! Isabella is a real massage magician. Very professional and methodical, her experience and massotherapy knowledge really shows. You HAVE to get the hot stones massage. It was an awesome experience and definitely made my stay better. Note : make sure you get your massage from Isabella, and only from her. Book more in advance if necessary.

FOOD : 4 stars

I heard a few people complaining about the food...but then again they were the same people who prefered a 20 minute drive to go get a Wendy's burger every day of the week, people who only ate 3 kinds of food, or people who thought the chef would cook them a special request meal on a daily basis. So i'm not sure the whiners had very good judgement when it came to restauration and travelling.

The menu offered a great variety for every single meal ; many kinds of fruits of vegetables, salads, cheeses and dairy products, meats, fish, seafood, rice, potatoes, breads, pasta, fried, not fried, you name it... more than enough options to choose from. Quality of the food was excellent, but I am taking away 1 star for one isolated incident involving parmesan cheese.

SITE : 4.5 stars

Very clean, very well maintained, lots of vegetation and flowers. I had no problem walking barefoot everywhere, which for me is a big plus when on vacation. The environment design was not neglected, I found it was extremely hospitable and comfortable.

BEACH : 4 stars

Maybe a little small for my taste; I like beaches with more space, where I can feel "alone". But then again i'm a lone wolf, so it may not be a a problem for others. Didn't seem to be, didn't hear anyone complain about it either. Very nice sand.

ROOMS : 5 stars

Absolutely no complaints there. Extremely clean, modern design, well ventilated quiet, cozy, comfortable. Extremely well maintained by the staff, daily of course. I especially like the fact that every unit is a separate condo with its own entrance and deck.

SECURITY : 5 stars

Not a single problem there. Armed guard at the road entrance of the hotel (for those who would care about such a measure), security cameras, etc. Security measures, although efficient, are subtle and do not feel invasive at all.

HOTEL STAFF : 5 stars.

Everyone is really nice and courteous. Most importantly, I found them very helpful ; My very used travel bag zipper unsewed when I arrived, so it became useless, and I figured I'd need to buy a new bag for the return home. Went to the staff to help locate a new bag, and they ended up repairing mine for extremely cheap, saving me money and the hassle to go shopping (I hate shopping).

LOCATION : 4 stars.

My only complaint is that it is a bit far from the rest of the "world" (read parts of the island). In a way that's an extremely good thing if you're looking to feel isolated in a beautiful part of the carribean, but made visiting a bit more lenghty and discouraging. Still, the bay is beautiful, view is stunning, vegetation is plentyful.

TRANSPORTATION : 4 stars

Hotel shuttles to other parts of the island available daily. Taxis on request, of course. You can rent a scooter at the front desk as well. I'm taking away 1 star because I think they could do a better job at communicating schedules and availability. If you don't ask, you don't know. It wouldn't hurt to have a piece of paper up on a wall with all transportation info. Would make everything a lot smoother.

OVERALL RATING :

I think the resort's 4.5 stars rating suits it perfectly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo