“We had a great time”

Media Luna Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel was built two years ago and the room are comfortable, clean and nice size. Check their website where they propose a 360 visit. What you see there is what you get. Diving is great and people are really nice. Check rainy season

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank oproux

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I traveled here with a group of about 45 people. We were told that the resort had been closed for about a month and we were the first guests after they'd reopened.

Our first impression of the resort is that it is beautiful. It's in a beautiful setting built in tiers against the hill in a pretty cove. The rooms are actually individual little cabanas with tile floors and a tropical decor. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean.

But...

While the sinks in our room work fine, there was no hot water in them. And when we went to take a shower, we discovered that there was no water to the shower. Don't mistake what I'm saying...there wasn't low water pressure to the shower, there was NO water in the shower. We went to the front desk but were told that the maintenance men were all Seven Day Adventists who don't work on Saturdays, so we'd have to wait until Sunday to get it fixed. We were given the key to another cabana we could use to take a shower in. We loaded up our towels, soap, shampoo, etc. and walked quite a ways to the other cabana and found that, while it had lots of water in the shower, it was ice cold water. Not luke warm...not refreshingly cool...COLD. Now if it was 100 degrees outside, that might've been okay, but it's the rainy season and it's chilly and windy, so a cold shower was not pleasant.

On Sunday, when the maintenance person came back, our shower was restored and our water heater turned on and that problem was solved. But then came another: The bathroom would occasionally get a huge odor of raw sewage. We could never figure out if it was coming from the water, the drains, the shower or what, but it reeked. Some of the others in our group swore it was the water itself (which is not potable water, according to the signs), but we couldn't confirm this.

They're pretty stingy with the towels here as well. I have very long hair and we could not get them to give us more than one towel per person, no matter how much we asked. They just weren't going for that.

We were on an all-inclusive package. I don't know what else you could be on, because there is nowhere nearby to eat. Anyway, the food was just horrible. Seriously, I am the least picky person in the world when it comes to food, but this was dreadful. I don't think they actually have a kitchen there...just hotplates and portable gas burners. One night they served "ham" which I swear was just fried leftover bologna from lunch. And the breakfast "sausage" was just sliced hotdogs.

Here's what one of the night's dinner menus was (I kid you not):

--Four kinds of rice...plain white, white with leftover canned greenbeans from lunch, white with chunks of white fish mixed in and white with cream-of-mushroom soup.
--Mashed potatoes
--White flour tortillas
--Shredded raw cabbage (no dressing...just plain cabbage)
--Some kind of white fish chunks
--White rolls...no butter (I'm not sure what that stuff is that they had that looks like butter, but whatever it is isn't natural...it does not melt and it left a coating on the roof of my mouth that I had to scrape off with a spoon...seriously, I think it was sunscreen or something).
--Pasta with oil

Someone asked what was for dinner...I said "white."

Ugh. The food was just a disaster.

The staff was nice...the locals who work here are all very friendly. The wait staff are accommodating and friendly. The dive staff was great too.

I came for the diving, not for the food or the room, but I paid for all of it and I expected better. This place just didn't seem ready for occupation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank GiniB_11
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just returned from a week of staying there.10/27 to the 3rd of Nov. 1st,the rainy season is then..If your not a diver ,there is little to do at this end of the island.It is a 1 hr. ride to get to the 'West end" of the Island which is where most of the gift shops are.As some of the other reviews for this "sister"to Henry Morgan Resort have stated.The food menu needs some improving. Fish,Chicken & Rice...Meat is occasional.Internet & or phone service needs help.From what I understand ,they have been open for 3 yrs. now..When there was a issue,i.e. batteries in safe went out..The lobby person went & got it resolved. At times there is no one there,if you do have a problem.The Sand flies or what ever they were are TERRIBLE!!In spite of applying bug repellent.The design of the Resort is very picture esque. Depending on where your room is located it can be a distance from the dive shop/pier to do your diving.
The Diving is FANTASTIC!!! The reefs are in great shape & creatures abound.Sea horses,Flamingo Tongue,Nurse Sharks,,Moray's,Lobsters,Sea Turtles ,Scorpion fish & lizard fish.For large groups.Make sure you let them know ahead of time.They need the help..for such demands. Nitrox is available.
I even went for the gold & did the Shark dive,with Waihuka Adventure Diving. I would do it again!!!A once in a life time experience.I will say ,I think they are trying to get it right..
As another point of Interest.Hole In the Wall is a excellent spot to go to for a lunch. Gio's Crab house is another TJ Lynch video recommended spot.There are 2 on the Island.1 in French Harbor. Bon voyage...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GregGIL
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I actually had a decent trip, despite the resort. This was our first trip to Roatan and our main reason was for the diving. If you aren't a diver, you should probably go somewhere else. There is absolutely NOTHING to do on this resort except dive and sit by the pool.

The beach is super small and not the pure white sand you expect in the caribbean. My wife and I didn't even set foot on it and we love beaches. The swimming pools are only waist deep. There is no night life here and the bar (there's only one open, either inside or out) closes at around 10-11pm and the place is dead. I'm glad I brought a couple bottles of wine to drink back at our room. Actually there was entertainment on one night...some local dance group demonstration or something. Not impressive. The night before our group left though they did make an effort and had dinner outside and a live band for us. Nice of them to do that. Only entertaining night we had, they even kept the bar open a little later for us. Add to the fact that the place is completely isolated and it can be very boring here.

Enough has been said about the food so I'll keep it simple, just like the food. Plain. Bland. Repetitive. Not very good. Didn't bother us much at first, we're not picky, but after a few days it seemed I was living on grilled chicken and white rice.

Despite this, we had a decent trip because, as I said, we went to dive. We went diving twice a day most days. Dive staff were helpful and the other divers were great. We were always up early so by the time evening rolled around after a couple dives we were a little tired, so the lack of entertainment / night life didn't matter so much. If it wasn't for the diving I would have been out of my mind with boredom though.

The room (cabin) was nice enough, had an oceanview (well...would have been if not for the huge tree blocking the view) with a large deck and hammock...it was nice and clean.

That being said, diving on Roatan is great so even if that's your main purpose I'm sure you can find a much better resort. I liked Roatan but would never go back to this resort.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank chaosjunky
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Media Luna is a gorgeous resort with an accommodating staff. My sister got married at Media Luna last weekend and we all had an amazing time. The scenery was perfect for a wedding ceremony and reception and all of the guests enjoyed staying at the resort. The cabins were clean, uniquely decorated, and had great views. The private beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was the best I've seen.
I hope to return to Media Luna soon!

Room Tip: Recommend a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank pilotkm
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went for the diving mainly but found the dive shop to be run be a major jerk. His wife is nice though and is the real owner. She has to work hard to make up for his attitude. Worst dive shop experience we have ever had. The being said, the shore diving experience from this resort is great. Really nice, deep wall just off the coast. You can requests taks and just go with a buddy from the dock without needing to deal with the dive shop jerk directly. We paid extra, up-front for daily diving trips but never used them as we didn't want to go out with them. They did not make us feel that they were all that compotent. We stuck to just taking tanks and going out ourselves.

The resort is comprised of small, individual cabins that are up on a cliff away fromt he ocean (there is no direct access to the ocean from the cabins). Some have a view of the ocean below while otehrs are set more into the trees. The power goes out intentionally for an hour, twice per day. Very annoying but I guess they do it to save electricity. The climate is hot so it sucks to be without AC during these daily power-outs.

The resort is owned by the Henry Morgan group. There is no kitchen at this resort. All food is prepared and shipped in from the Henry Morgan resort on the other end of the island. As most others have mentioned, the food is not good and is only kept warm in the buffet line by fondu candles under the trays.

No snaks or drinks are made available in the rooms. You have to get your own water from the lobby and bring it back to your room....you can't drink the tap water obviously. We wought a few bottles of water and just kept filling them from the coolers in the lobby.

There was a good amount of construction happening while we were there becuase they were building more cabins.

The owners are italian and have arrangement with some italian tour groups. The italian guests are treated to a much greater level of service and attention than the non-italian tour groups. They sit on one side of the "restaurant" with full table services, linens, wines etc while all other sit on the other side wit no service and no wine with dinner and only basic settings. The Italians also seem to like to smoke....a LOT! All of the common areas are filled with smokers. Also, the italians are allowed to bring kids to the resort. It's advertised as adults-only in north america though so if you are going with expectations of not seeing kids, you will be in for a surprise.

The pool is small and basic and shallow but clean. hot tubs are available but are not heated as far as we could tell.

There is no significant beach. It's just a patch of sand that you can access from the deck above. It's not a resort for deach lovers.

The ideal profile for this resort is a couple of scuba divers looking to do some nice shore dives and that are not picky about food. If you're not diving, there is absolutely nothing to do and there is noplace to go. You can not walk to a town or shop. You would need to rent a taxi and the closest shop/town is a good 30 minute drive away.

There is no internet service available in the rooms. No wifi. There is wifi access in the lobby in some spots but it is slow and unreliable.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are the best situated. you will either be close to the lobby or the dive dock. the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank ColorX
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Our family & friends just spent a fantastic week at Media Luna.
Our daughter and son-in-law had a magical wedding, set in idyllic surroundings.
From the sound of the steel pans to the pineapple punch, the delicious coconut shrimp to the chocolate mousse, the champagne toasts to dancing on the decks ... the evening was perfect.

I think the marketing of Media Luna by Sunwing is the issue at hand.

We had been to Media Luna in January and noticed improvement are being implemented.
Management is listening to the comments of their guests and acting on them.
We mingled with the Italian guests during our stay as did they with us.
All in all we had a fabulous week enjoying deep-sea fishing, snorkelling, exploring the island, zip-lining, shopping, scuba diving and a seafood lunch at a local seaside restaurant.
We are both travellers & vacationers and found this past week satisfied our tastes for both.
We were fortunate to spend the week with a terrific group, composed of family & friends ... it was truly memorable.

Room Tip: 135-151 inclusive Beautiful views
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple