“Great Dive Shop”
Review of Barefoot Divers

Barefoot Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Barefoot Divers 5 Star IDC dive center offers valet diving- we do the work, you have the fun. Boats depart at 8:30, 10:30 and 2pm daily, with night dives on request. The dive shop is located at luxury boutique resort Barefoot Cay, close to the cruise ship docks, airport and ferry dock. Fresh fruit, water and towels are offered on every dive. The dive center has well-maintained rental equipment, private hot water showers and change facilities as well as individual dive lockers, air-conditioned classroom, and resort shop with dive accessories and logo wear. Mary's Place (voted Roatan's no.1 Dive site) is located right on the doorstep. A full range of PADI courses are available, including professional courses and internships. For non divers, there are organised snorkel trips and one day scuba courses.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The crew at Barefoot Divers are great. They made us feel at home from the second we walked into the shop the first time. This is the first dive shop that took care of my equipment from setting it up on the tanks for the first and subsequent dives to breakdown, cleaning and storage after the dives. Every one at the shop was extremely knowledgable and more than willing to help in any way possible. I would absolutely use this shop again in the future!!

There are newer reviews for Barefoot Divers

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Erika was an excellent instructor. We certified as advanced divers and she insisted nicely that we learn all the material well. I felt like I mastered the skills.
Edwin was our fun diver dive master. His pace was excellent. We went slowly and found many small things I'd never seen before. He gave us loads if time to explore and take pictures.
Ken was in the shop and was the positive let me help you guy. I had a slightly leaky hose and he said let's get that switched right out right now. No problem.
Willie was our boat captain. He was so cheerful and managed to think of what we needed before we needed it. We even sang him an honorary rap for his services.
The valet service was a nice treat. I never lifted a tank or bcd all week. What a holiday.
Thanks to you all. Now if you could just get rid of the sand flies! Thank goodness they can't swim!!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Did not do the typical cruise dive, 3of us ventured out to find a dive shop and was not disappointed!! From the time we showed up and left, we were welcomed and treated as family. Nice facility, good boats, staff was great, one young lady even braided my girlfriends hair prior to the dives. Tex was a awesome DM!! Highly recommend Barefoot divers! Looking fwd to our return!!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Cant wait to have an opportunity to go back and dive with them, upon arrival I had forgotten about the time difference between our cruise ship and local time. They were very accommodating and allowed me to dive on the early dive and the middle dive so that I could make it back to the boat in time. The dives were perfect and got to see lots of ocean live and swim thru tunnels of coral. Matt and Andy were great hosts and I had to do nothing but jump off the boat and climb back on , all of our needs were taken care of by them.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

First time to ever snorkel in the ocean. It was the first time for me to ever be in the ocean. We had signed up for two snorkel sessions and got the $40 cab ride to the place from the ship. If you walk out of the gate it's only $8. We arrived and they had to track down equipment. The snorkel I have used before in man made aquariums that have waves and currents were ten times nicer than the ones that they have here. They look like the ones you buy at Walmart. I had to scrape green stuff off of the mouth piece of mine before I used it. We then got out to the area and the instructor said its too roughy to be snorkeling but were going to try it anyways. We had divers on the boat and they were diving in the same area we were snorkeling in. Well, he said to put out equipment on and the mask around our neck and jump in. We did. I did not get any instruction on how to adjust my snorkel and found out that it needed to be adjusted on the cab ride back. The waves were so bad that I was unable to enjoy any of it and repeatedly swallowed and inhailed water. We took a break halfway through the first snorkel and he asked if we were okay. I decided I had had enough and got into the boat. Once the divers and the other snorkel had finished the instructor advised us the boat was going to shore to get more tanks and then would take us to another area that should be smoother and drop us off and leave us to snorkel. I asked if there was going to be a beach or something near incase someone got exhausted or something happened and he said no. The boat was going to drop us off and leave with the divers for their diving spot then return when they were finished. I was not comfortable with this and I decided to get off the boat when we got to shore and wait for my friends to complete their dive/snorkel sessions. I did not feel well after swallowing and inhaling the water. I relaxed for several hours watching the going ons around there. It really is a beautiful place just not for me.

barefootcay, Public Relations Manager at Barefoot Divers, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

We're very sorry for your negative experience. All gear should be well-maintained, snorkel mouthpieces well disinfected with bleach, so one with 'green stuff' is inexcusable, and we have discussed this with our dive staff to ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Before the boat goes out, if there are waves, our dive staff lets snorkelers know if it's going to be rough, in case anyone doesn't want to go. I checked with them, and they said this information was relayed, and your group opted to go ahead, but maybe this was a decision made by your friends and you weren't aware? Weather is beyond our control, but it's our responsibility to make sure conditions are safe. Some divers and snorkelers are used to choppier conditions and still enjoy this experience if it's a bit rough, but still calm enough to participate safely, others are not comfortable unless the seas are totally flat, so we do our best to communicate to the guests what the conditions will be like in advance.
I've shared your review with all of our dive staff, so that they can make sure that each snorkeler is shown how to use the snorkel gear, in case there are any novices on board. Snorkel vests are available, as well as a tagline hanging off the back of the boat in case someone wants to hold on to that, so we'll make sure that this information gets clearly conveyed to any future snorkelers.
Thank you for sharing your feedback so that we can improve for future guests.