“Superb Diving in Paradise”
Review of Barefoot Divers

Barefoot Divers
More attraction details
Owner description: Barefoot Divers 5 Star IDC dive center offers valet diving- we do the work, you have the fun. Boats depart at 8:30, 10:30 and 2pm daily, with night dives on request. The dive shop is located at luxury boutique resort Barefoot Cay, close to the cruise ship docks, airport and ferry dock. Fresh fruit, water and towels are offered on every dive. The dive center has well-maintained rental equipment, private hot water showers and change facilities as well as individual dive lockers, air-conditioned classroom, and resort shop with dive accessories and logo wear. Mary's Place (voted Roatan's no.1 Dive site) is located right on the doorstep. A full range of PADI courses are available, including professional courses and internships. For non divers, there are organised snorkel trips and one day scuba courses.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Lansing, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Superb Diving in Paradise”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Spent a week diving with them. Attention to detail and worry free diving included. My only complaint would be as an advanced diver they were a tad overbearing, having more than one divemaster in the group, it would have been better to allow the advanced divers to delve deeper into the waters and make the dive excursions a little more catered to multiple levels of diving. Overall, excellent experience.

Visited August 2013
barefootcay, Public Relations Manager at Barefoot Divers, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
We're glad you had a great time. I've shared your comments with our dive staff. Safety is always our top priority, so divers need to stay within a depth range that the instructor can provide quick assistance to anyone. We keep our dive groups small (resort guests have a maximum of 8 divers per boat), and try to keep divers of similar skill level together, so that advanced divers can do deeper dives, but sometimes we have a mix of skill levels that we need to accommodate. If there were 2 instructors on board during your dive, the 2nd would have been a new instructor learning the site, so we wouldn't have wanted to divide the group, but we sometimes also have divemaster trainees who could stay with guests who wanted to do a slightly deeper profile, so thank you for your suggestion.

Palm Beach, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Top Notch Diving with Service to Match”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had two divers and two snorkelers and Barefoot Divers made sure everyone had a great time and could enjoy the reef. The walls and barrel sponges in this area are amazing. On one ledge the barrel sponges were growing upside down on the bottom of the ledge and guess what -- the fish were swimming around it -- upside down! Quite simply the reef looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book. Its just amazing everywhere you turn. And you cannot run out of different places to go. Cannot begin to name all the fish we saw -- including neon green moray eels. You feel like you are in a Jacque Cousteau movie. Dive staff is very knowledgable, friendly and has safety as a top priority. They even bring fresh watermelon to snack on after the dive and have big yellow towels for everyone. The prices are the same at the other dive shops without the level of comfort and service. The Palmetto Bay side of the reef is "less pressured" although that is a very relative term on Roatan, since the reef on both sides of the island is huge, protected and pristine.

Spring, TX
“Great snorkel trips”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife & I recently stayed at the Palmetto Bay Plantation and booked two snorkel trips with Barefoot Divers there. Friday we went out at 10:30AM with a great guide, Jonathan, who is a marine biologist. He took time to talk about diferent features of the reef & pointed out the types of fish . Everything was perfect. Saturday we used the resorts kayak to paddle out to the reef on our own. It had a leak, capsized and we lost our masks & snorkels. When I went to cancel my afternoon trip the dive shop agreed to loan us the gear so we would not miss it. While disappointing not to have our own gear the trip was great. They were all professional and also friendly. I can't speak for any other dive shop but we were pleased with the service at Barefoot

San Diego, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Barefoot Divers at Palmetto Bay Plantation”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just had a great week of diving with Barefoot Divers (at Palmetto Bay). We were a party of 7- 4 adults and 3 x 15 yr olds. Great dives, excellent time with Nicolas as our dive master and Clyde, the true master of the boat (he knows this area REALLY well and found us awesome dive sites). They were a pleasure to work with, from the easy booking process ahead to our final exit. Yes, a bit pricey, but they were great!

Denver, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Service, Do Not Use for Cruise Dive”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I arranged and pre-paid a 2 tank dive for June 19, 2013. I arrived to the island that morning on a cruise ship. I paid $50 round-trip for a cab to take me to the facility. Fortunately, I didn't have change for the cab driver so he stuck around after dropping me off while I tried to get change from the staff. I spent 15 minutes waiting for someone to help me and then was told that day-trip divers and cruise divers were "cancelled" because one of their vessels "had problems" and they know about it the day before (at least). I was refunded the money I paid for the dive but was still out the $50 cab fare. There had to be at least 20 divers hanging around the facility that were going to dive on the dive boats without problems but they had no room for one more diver. I would have appreciated an email or some form of communication prior to spending the time and money to get to the place to be told last minute of a cancellation. They sure were good about emails to get the payment before the dive. Thank goodness I didn't have the correct change for the cabbie because otherwise, he would have been long gone and this place is a good distance from any services and I would have had to wait for another cab to be called. Even then, it was an hour there and back. And, no diving.
Bottom line, arrange a cruise-dive with this place at your own risk. You will not be their priority.

Visited June 2013
barefootcay, Public Relations Manager at Barefoot Divers, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I'm really sorry that you had a bad experience with Barefoot Divers and for the poor communication while you were here. The dives that day were actually cancelled due to weather: the one boat that went out was with pro students who were going to a sheltered spot to do training, not suitable for a fun dive, and our other boats were taken around the north west side of the island where the wind wasn't blowing- the resort guests were bussed there, however there wouldn't have been enough time with the limited port hours to bus any divers coming from the cruise ship. Weather can't always be accurately predicted ahead of time, but from this point forwards, the dive manager will check on the weather forecast for the following day so that we can send an email to cruise ship divers to let them know if a dive may be cancelled, and then will send a follow-up response to confirm if the dive has had to be cancelled. I apologize that we did not have this plan in place previously: we really appreciate your feedback that helped us realize an area of inadequate service and improve it.