“So much fun!!”

Bay Islands Underwater Museum
Ranked #39 of 79 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: An awesome snorkeling adventure at the depth of a swimming pool. The Bay Islands Underwater Museum will take you on a guided snorkel tour of one of the most beautiful reefs in the Caribbean and so much more! Discover Mayan artifacts, a Spanish Galleon ship wreck and the Treasure Chest. See the traditional lobster and conch fishing gear used by the Garifuna people. This is fun for the whole family. The Bay Islands Underwater Museum is an experience you will never forget. Don´t forget to bring cash for beberages and our famous Enzo Pepperoni Pizza, cooked in our adobe mud oven! Birng a towel and beach foot wear for walking on the sand and dock area. All snorkling gear, boat transportation to the site from our dock and a briefing about the museum are included. You will have the best local guides to show you the reef and the marine life!
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I booked this excursion through our cruise. We were not expecting anything spectacular because it was the least expensive excursion of all the ports. The price was incredibly reasonable... and more than worth it!

Our guide, Lena, picked us up at the port in a very nice, clean, air conditioned van. There were about 18 of us in the group. We drove across Roatan for about 15-20 minutes and Lena pointed out everything from the local grocery store to the Mayor's office. It was fascinating to learn about the local culture and the island is gorgeous!

When we got to the Underwater Museum, it was paradise. It is a little piece of beach front shaded by trees. When you look out, all you see is gorgeous, turquoise blue water! I couldn't wait to jump in! On the grounds they have a bar (with cheap soda, water, and booze), a pizza grill, a restroom, a place to change your clothes, and a large shared locker. (We left everything from wallets to iphones without worry.)

So, when we got there, we were given a quick run though of the snorkeling expedition and were told a little about Mayan history. We then walked down the pier and got in to a boat to go to the landing out by the reef. Once there we got our snorkel equipment, which was very high quality equipment. The people with less snorkeling experience were given different colored life vests so the guides could help them out easier. The guides led us through the snorkeling tour but we were pretty much on our own to explore. The snorkeling was amazing! There are some historical replicas but the best part was all the marine life we saw.... fish, starfish, and even octopus! The coral garden was so gorgeous!

Once we were done snorkeling, we went back to the beach and had about an hour to relax and enjoy the grounds. We got some pizza and soda and just layed around on the lounge chairs. It as a perfect day!!

I found out after we left that they have a cabana on site they rent for the week... We loved it so much, we are actually going to look in to visiting again! I highly recommend this excursion :)

p.s. This is a lot of swimming.... there were a couple older folks on the trip that could not swim the whole way and waited on the dock. You don't have to be a good swimmer, just have some endurance.

5  Thank rvav

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Booked this snorkel through Celebrity Cruise lines but understand you can book on own as well. We have snorkeled many times in the Caribbean and in Hawaii. This is a perfect place for a beginner with calm waters, a relatively shallow area for the swim and no long boat ride required for those that may get queazy. The "museum" pieces are a unique touch. However, it was made very clear these were not real for the most part. (We remember being told the shipwreck portion was at least in part real). The guides were friendly and accommodating from the narrator on the van ride to the dive guides. Can't speak to the equipment quality since we have our own. The actual beach site can best be described as "rustic" so don't expect anything fancy. As noted by others they prepare wood fired pizza for a small charge and have some local beers also for a nominal charge. Not our thing so we did not try but others seemed to like. You can sit on the beach when you are finished or relax in the sun on chairs or the long dock. Overall, nice people who work hard at creating an enjoyable experience for their guests.

2  Thank BW_MS
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked the snorkeling through my cruise ship's excursion, but there were people there who had booked this independently. I've been snorkeling a lot, but this is the first time I've seen museum items.

A guide picked us up and on the way to the place to get started talked to us about Roatan and the people and way of life. He also handed out a map of what we would see when we began snorkeling, going from the docking area to the pre-Colombian era, the colonial era and the modern era.

You can check all your items in a locker, then walk across what I thought was a very long bridge. The reason it felt long was because I had checked my glasses in the locker and also there was about 1/4" space between the wooden slats. I thought we were never going to get to the dock!

We got geared up, and don't worry if you're new, there are 3 guides there to help you get fixed up with the masks and fins and snorkeling things. Once everyone's in the water, they wait a little for everyone to get used to things, then one guide leads the way and another stays in the back. You just keep an eye on the white float and holler if you need any help (but doubtful you will).

Along the way, the guides will find cool sea life, grab them and let you pet them or hold them. One of the guides just grabbed my underwater camera and took off (I didn't realize it was a guide at first and it really startled me), then he started taking photos for me. The pictures came back really good and clear.

The only negative about this experience is that I was hoping to see more colorful fish, but it is what it is.

I heard other people talking about snorkeling in Cozumel and how choppy and wavy the waters were. I was glad I did my snorkeling in Roatan where the waters were relatively calm. The water is very salty so you don't have to worry about staying afloat!

After we got back to land and I felt better when I got my glasses back on, we got to eat pizza (I think it was $2 for a big slice) which is oven baked in an open oven, and have beer or water. Maybe Cokes....I don't remember but I'm sure if they had beer and water, they had sodas.

You can walk up and down the little strip of beach, too. If you're looking out at the water, then turn right and go in that direction as it's prettier. Take your camera for that short walk.

Most people just sat in chairs or laid out in the lounge chairs and relaxed.

I absolutely loved this excursion and highly recommend the professionalism of the company.

2  Thank Felicia D
Reviewed February 23, 2013

From the moment your eyes capture the beauty of this seashore paradise until the moment you departure this safe haven, your life’s pleasures will be at an all-time high. This amazing adventure will definitely be an unforgettable experience of learning, discovery, challenge, and relaxation at this secret treasure only found in Roatan, Honduras. My girlfriend and I, Washingtonians, decided to getaway during the cold months to enjoy her birthday as well as a tropical getaway. Bay Islands Underwater Museum’s great staff, friendly tour guides, fabulous facility and awesome food/beverages were above and beyond what we imagined! A MUST SEE!!!

1  Thank Roberto N
See more reviews
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Roatan was one of our stops on our recent Princess Cruise. My husband & I had been to Roatan once before and rented a car to see the island. This time we took our whole family (4 adults, 1 baby), rented a car & headed out to see the sites. We opted to do the underwater museum on our own instead of through the ship's excursion...boy, are we glad we did!! We arrived after the last cruise group was just leaving. Tulio & his crew were incredibly accomodating and took 4 of us out to the snorkel area while my daughter, myself and the baby played on the beach. Christina and Tulio made this such a perfect day. The stone oven pizza was so yummy too. After spending the majority of our day there we were ready to move to Roatan ourselves. I can't stress enough how amazing these people are! Thank you Tulio & Christina & crew!!