“Afternoon Delight!”
Review of Camp Bay Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roatan
Camp Bay Lodge
Ranked #4 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
Shelton, Connecticut
“Afternoon Delight!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

While visiting Roatan 7/15/13-7/21/13- we spent a day exploring the eastern end of the island, which is very rustic and lightly populated. We had rented an suv, which proved to be a good move as this part of the island is only accessible by non-paved roads. The highlight of the day was found at Camp Bay Beach- where we had the pleasure of meeting Jami Epstein, the proprietor of the establishment. After a nice walk along the pristine beach we had a great lunch of fresh fish with a cold beer. Need I say more. If you are looking for a relaxing and beautiful place to stay or just spend the day- this is it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Ours was a day trip, first of all, so I can't make any comments on accommodations, because we did not stay there. Kudos to Rachel for the food and the service of the restaurant.The lunch that we enjoyed was superb, lobster salads and lobster plates. Rachel is a really good cook and a quietly friendly hostess. We absolutely enjoyed the beach, the sun and the shade both, and beautiful clear ocean waters. Made two dives; the first was enjoyable, the second -- short, shallow, and odd. We "took a wrong term" and ended up with 6 or 7 minutes of diving at 45 feet and 20 minutes or so, 35 feet or so above the sandy bottom swimming back to the boat, able to see nothing. Could not believe I was charged for a dive that had 6 or 7 minutes of enjoyment. My family was charged the outrageous fee of $25 per person (and all had their own equipment) to anchor 500 yards off the dock to snorkel in 35 feet of water or so (why so deep) where there was beautiful coral that they could not see or enjoy. I think this could be a great experience some day, as I believe that the new owner is making a commitment to improve the operation, but there are just a few things that I don't get and a few rough edges, some of which are noted in some of the other reviews. I have visited Roatan 20 times or so over the past 12 years, so my expectation level is based on this island, not Atlantis or glitzy resorts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jimkellster
portsmouth
Reviewed June 11, 2013

What a wonderfully surprising resort of relaxation and beauty. Waterfront property unspoiled. Pier for diving into and take a swim or join in on the dive boat out for a memorable diving experience.
Air conditioned rooms, wi-fi and great meals prepared by local staff. Fresh seafood and frosty cold local and US beers.
Learn to dive or just snorkel either way there is exprienced staff to assist. Friends and i left behind the crowds at the west end and enjoyed this lovely slice of heaven.
Hammocks, lounge chairs and great company made this a come back to vacation spot. Ahhh.
Weather was perfect during our stay in January and water was calm. Bonfire at night and just quiet..

Room Tip: upper lever rooms have wonderful breeze if you don't want to run a.c.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank harold c
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am one of the six out of seven guests who left abruptly after only one day at Camp Bay Resort. We had all paid up front for one or two weeks.

There was no internet as promised and no telephone. We were warned not to walk on the beach at night or we could be shot by his security guard. There were constant lectures about how dangerous it was "out there" without his protection, yet there were no locks on the doors. He berated one of the guests for wanting a lock.

When we guests started talking to each other we found we were all uneasy and some of us were frightened. Three locals told us we were not the first guests to leave suddenly. What a relief to be out of there! It's a pity, as it is a beautiful place. Food was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
11 Thank jamaica553
Soledad, California
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I’ve spent the past several weeks contemplating on just what to write about my recent one day stay at Camp Bay Lodge located on the east side of Roatan. The beach is beautiful, food fantastic, lodging adequate and the snorkeling marginal. We had planned to spend several days at the resort, but left after 28-hours because we felt very uncomfortable with the resort owner. In fact, six of the seven guests staying there while we were there also chose to leave even though we all lost the money we had paid in advance for an extended stay.
When we arrived, we were asked to give the owner our passports. During my two week stay on the island, this was the only place that asked for our passports. He took passports and left the area with them before returning them. In addition, he told us we didn’t need room keys because it was safe there. It made me very uncomfortable that I couldn’t lock my room. We then had to listen to the safety lecture which was repeated several times and heard about his security guard which we “probably would never see.” I used the dead bolt at night.
We were asked not to use the air conditioning as electricity is very expensive (it is, but we were paying guests and it was very hot and humid and the rooms like ovens), allowed 15-minutes of internet use a day but I could only get on the internet once right after I arrived, and asked us to eat dinner early so his staff could leave early. We wanted to snorkel and were told maybe Thursday (it was Sunday). He finally made arrangements for someone to take us snorkeling at $25 a person in a small boat which was very difficult to get into after snorkeling. That trip was the most expensive snorkeling trip I took during my 2 week stay and we snorkeled daily in different places throughout the island.
Camp Bay is very isolated and you have no way to communicate with the outside world unless you happen to have a local cell phone. No internet, room keys and constant security lectures made me very, very uncomfortable. I won’t even go into all the tall tales he told.
When we asked to settle our bill before leaving, we were charged for three nights even though we only spent one night. We thought it was fair to pay for two nights, not three. At Camp Bay, you will pay for every swallow of water (even if they are out of bottled water) and every cup of coffee. Camp Bay was the only place on the island where we stayed that nothing was complimentary.
I suggest you read the “Creepy stay with the nutty professor” review. I had much of the same experience. He even threatened to have one of the guests who left arrested (via email). He’s very controlling, intimidating and a bully.
I’ve also read with interest his responses to negative reviews. He defends his behavior and negates the feelings of the person writing the review. Does this sound like a forensic psychologist? (He claims to be a forensic psychologist among other things) A member of our group suggested he listen to his guests. I think he should take some classes in customer service and start listening and quit lecturing his guests. I can’t wait to read his response to this review.
If you want a wonderful, secluded, quiet stay in the East End of Roatan with great snorkeling (boat goes out twice a day), wonderful food, great beaches and wonderful customer service (including water and coffee gratis) check out the other resort located at the East End. It’s a lot better value for your dollar and you even get a key to lock your room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
20 Thank Gracie12_13
Fox Lake, Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I just spent 2wks here and it was the best 2wks I ever had.The hotel rooms were nice and roomy and clean,and the food here was out of this world.The owner was most helpful with anything I wanted or needed.The diving was outstanding,so many sites to choose from and all were 5 to 10 minutes from the doc.This was the most pristine reef I ever had the chance to dive on.At Camp Bay you can do any number of things or you can just do nothing,its your chioce.There is nobdy to bother or hustle you into buying or doing anything.In all this resort has something for everybody.
As for what the previous review that Susan wrote,that was a bunch of bs.That lady was a problem from the time she got there.Its a funny thing if there was no dive opration there,where did I take all my photos?The owner gives a little security talk to everybody,after all you are in a secluded part of the island and a third world country.
Take it for whats worth,this place rocks in my book.I cant wait to go back.With any luck it will be in october.I personally want to thank Jami(the owner) and everybody there for a great time.

Room Tip: Bring a Ipod or something to listen to or just listen to the waves.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Fingers2008
Florence, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 29, 2013

there was no dive shop, dive equipment, dive boat or a dive
master. His introduction orientation to us all involved flashing FBI credentials
and telling us that if we walked on the beach or left the resort we would
be shot. He claimed to have a security man that would would never see
who was Honduras Military trained and we should be careful not to go outside
at night.

He would not allow any of us to use a telephone and he had the internet
set up so it would work for him, but not for us. One lady from Pennsylvania
told him she needed to get hold of her 78 year old mother, and he refused
to turn on the internet for her to use. I explained I owned two businesses
and needed to check on clients and employees.. and he would not turn on
the internet.

He later explained that we would be allowed 15 minutes a day only on the
internet as it was expensive.. but none of us could manage to figure out which
15 minutes a day it was, nor would he tell us.

I went with him to Coxen Hole where he yelled at me in the car the whole
trip down.. and then was screaming on the telephone at his employees on the
trip back.. at one point throwing the phone to the floor of the car as hard
as he could. When we got back he honked the horn a bunch of times and left.
the girls that work for him came back to the car to get the groceries, but I was
sitting there in shock.. they looked at me and said to me.. "He's crazy"

He claimed to be with the FBI, working with people that were under witness
protection. He also claimed to be a Navy Seal, a coast guard, a physician and
a psychiatrist. He flashed his FBI credentials regularly.

The first night I was there alone and went to sleep early.. I woke up about 10PM
realizing I needed to take my old lady pills.. there was a fridge in the room, but
nothing in it and no water glass by the sink. I went out to the bar area and took
a bottle of beer and a glass and took my meds and went back to sleep. The next
morning I gave him the empty bottle and explained that I owed him for a beer.
He accused me of being a thief and told me if the security guard had seen me
I would have been shot.

By the next day we were all completely frightened but had no way to contact anyone
outside the resort and didn't know what to do. We pulled together and talked, some
of us in tears of fear and a man from California said he would go and get help.

He was gone for well over an hour, but when he returned
he said he had found a car that would take us away from there but we could only
leave 3 at a time and the car would have to make two trips. We packed as fast
as we could and three of us left, being picked up by the owner of Paya Bay, who
brought us to his resort, then went back and got the others.

There is more, but I am still kind of in shock. We felt like we were being held
hostage in the twilight zone..

Room Tip: Do yourselves a favor and just don't go here. It's beautiful, but extremely creepy
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
15 Thank Susan23450
CampBayResort, Public Relations Manager at Camp Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
From the moment she arrived, she complained about everything as though we are the Four Seasons Hotel (which is a service we do not offer). We are a quaint, out-of-the-way resort, far from the hustle-and-bustle of Roatan's West End where people go for rest and relaxation; Not to get cel service, work on the Internet or expect personal massages, etc.

She broke into the kitchen after it was closed and was surprised when we confronted her on it. (I don't know of any hotel where it's ok to break into the kitchen or storeroom anywhere). She knew where to find the owner of the resort to help her with anything that she needed. Furthermore, being that the resort is located in a remote location in a 3rd world country, we take our guest's safety seriously, which is why we have security (and why she was given a security briefing.) YOU'RE NOT IN NORTHERN WISCONSIN anymore, honey.

Lastly, what tipped her over the edge was our insistance that she WOULD NOT dive with us unless she had a valid scuba diving C-CARD. Which she couldn't produce. Maybe on other resorts they let you dive without one. Not at our resort. Again, GUEST SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT.

For pictures of our dive facility, dive masters, dive boat and the accommodations, please check out our Facebook page.