“Wow!!! What a Beautiful Pete Dye Golf Course Design, It is Heaven!!!”

The Black Pearl Golf Course
Ranked #68 of 169 Outdoor Activities in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: The centerpiece of the resort is The Black Pearl, Roatan’s first and only golf course. This 18-hole, par-72, 7200 yard championship golf course was created by world famous golf course architect Pete Dye. The course starts at the ocean’s doorstep, rises into the island’s rolling foothills, then takes golfers on a wild ride back to the seaside clubhouse. It features one of Dye’s signature island greens, and 14 holes offer stunning vistas of the ocean and the Meso-American Barrier Reef. The Black Pearl is not only a haven for golfers, but for the vast wildlife on Roatan as well. With more than 100,000 plants and trees, the golf course is one of the largest sanctuaries of plant and animal life on the island. This eco-friendly golf course is one of only a few golf courses in the world to use a special strain of grass called Seashore Paspalum. Dye Designs were pioneers of the use of this salt-water tolerant strand for tropics-based projects, known for its environmental compatibility, ease of irrigation and maintenance, and translucent green hue. Its appearance, juxtaposed against the turquoise Caribbean waters, inspired The Black Pearl’s tagline: “The Best Greens and the Best Blues.” The Black Pearl also features state of the art practice facilities including a lighted driving range, ocean front warm-up range, and a practice chipping green designed to create an atmosphere of game-improvement, one that encourages guests and residents to enhance their skill sets while honing their games on one of the region’s most playable layouts. This is a semi-private course with a myriad of membership options available including temporary resident memberships, corporate and executive memberships, and yearly memberships. The Black Pearl is a world-class golf course that perfectly complements Pristine Bay’s luxury resort and real estate options.
Niagara Falls, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Wow!!! What a Beautiful Pete Dye Golf Course Design, It is Heaven!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

I played this beautiful golf course Feb 10th. It really is a must play if you get the chance. The clubhouse over looks the most beautiful, pools, beach and ocean, picture perfect paradise!!! Pro shop manager Gerald was very helpful and receptive upon our arrival. My wife drove the cart and took pictures of every hole, as I played. The course is finished but construction is on going to complete the condo's around the course. When it is totally complete it will be more outstanding than it is now. The layout of the holes with the ocean in the background is stunning. You really feel like you are in heaven. The course is in great shape. The beverage cart girl served us a couple of times, and she is very friendly and receptive. After the game we enjoyed drinks overlooking Pristine Bay. Thank-you Gerald and The Black Pearl staff for making my round of golf so enjoyable.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank sunshine517

Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“For a Golfer/Diver, this may actually be heaven.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

This course is really new and once it matures a bit will be in the running for best courses in the Caribbean along with the likes of the Four Seasons at Nevis.

Greens and layout are great and I really like the sand and water features. For a diver/golfer, this may actually be heaven.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank EWerner
Roatan, Honduras
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Dye Course Ever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Incredible greens with even better backdrops. Hole number 11 will keep you coming back. I dream of this course!

Visited September 2011
3 Thank RoatanTours
Nanton, Canada
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great layout and awsome back drops.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

We played after a pretty good rain so course was saturated but that aside still a great track that is only going to get better as it matures. Payed $145 U.S which is pretty reasonable. Club house / pro shop has not been built yet so there is a bit of a drive getting to temporary pro shop but worth it.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Dave M
Cypress, Texas
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“I love Golf and this is my top Course IN THE WORLD!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

When I was doing research for my first trip to Roatan, I came upon the Black Pearl thru a CNN Golf youtube video. It sounded almost to good to be true, but this place did not disappoint. I loved it so much, I booked a vacation in July that was centered around Golf and I'm looking forward to going back. Let me tell you, this place is incredible.

First the golf course: For a new course, the greens are remarkable. I heard another golfer that he heard that this was one of Pat Dye's favorite's and I see why. The views of the ocean and just incredible, and the island hole is better than anything I have ever played. This is Golf the way God intended it. I took several pictures of the course and my friends thought that I had Photoshopped the pictures. That's how beautiful this course is.

The Service: I actually had great service both times I went. The caddies were good, but not great, as the course has not been open all that long. I was surprised on how good the service was here, as opposed to other places in the island, where there was more of Caribbean attitude.

The experience: I can't wait for my next trip there. I'm getting a group of guys to do a man's trip after the hotel opens. I love to travel, and I don't think I have ever gone back to one place as much. Maybe it's because of the easy access to Roatan from my home in Houston, combined with the experience of playing the Black Pearl, but I have a feeling that this is going to be come a tradition for a while.

The property: The course is called The Black Pearl at Pristine Bay Resort. The resort is still under development, but they have Luxury villages that they rent out. I stayed in one of those in my July trip and it did not disappoint. It was clean, beautiful, and luxurious and with great access to Golf and the beach. And the beds were soooo soft.

In a nutshell, I give it two thumbs up as far as they will go.

Visited July 2011