“Beautiful, Tranquil, and Relaxing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Upachaya Eco-Lodge

Upachaya Eco-Lodge
Ranked #2 of 53 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beautiful, Tranquil, and Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

My friend and I visited Honduras for the first time about two weeks ago. We were drawn to Upachaya because of the great reviews and the discount that was provided for educators. It is refreshing to know that there are people who still value education and take care of teachers. Barb is the best hostess from the beginning to the end of your trip. When she found out that she would be on the same flight from the U.S. to Roatan, she offered to let us ride back to the lodge with her and the property caregiver. The meals that she prepared were fresh, healthy, and mostly from her garden. If you are looking for a relaxing get away, Upachaya is the place to go. I am a doctoral student and I am considering going back when I begin to write my dissertation because of the relaxing environment. Barb we appreciate the superb experience that you provided us during our stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bartholomew G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Huntsville, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful lunch and botanical tour of Upachaya. Barb, the owner, is incredibly warm and welcoming and conducts a really interesting tour. Her lunch was fresh, healthy, and tasted amazing. I also highly recommend her all natural skin product line, especially the bug repellant. Thank you, Barb for a really lovely couple of hours!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at Upchaya for 3 days and had a wonderful time.

PROS:
-food was healthy and so tasty. She served us delicious tropical fruit from her garden.
-Barb, the owner, was very accommodating and lovely. She arranged all transportation, meals, and excursions. Her dog is sweet too!
-the snorkeling was incredible! We went out on kayaks, through the mangroves, and snorkeled for a good 2 hours. It was just the two of us plus two guides.
-We spent a lot of time at the pool, which was really nice and refreshing.
-The rooms were really nice, with AC and comfy beds.
-The property was gorgeous, and the overall atmosphere was calm and peaceful.

CONS:
-It got pretty buggy, even with bugspray.
-No beach, although the kayaking, pool, and gorgeous property made up for it
-I definitely wouldn't recommend this hotel if you are looking for a party scene or to meet a bunch of people. Might have been geared towards a slightly older crowd (we are both in our 20s and got a bit antsy by the last night, so went out to dinner in the town)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank emmat14972
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I had an amazing and wonderful 4 days at Upachaya. Not only was the food phenomenal, it also fit into my heavily restricted diet due to an illness. Barbara created amazing gluten free, nightshade and grain free meals that were the highlight of our trip. I also highly recommend her wonderful yoga classes. out of the 3 hotels we stayed at in Honduras, Upachaya had the most comfortable rooms and beds. Truly a sanctuary!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveleralways852
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recommend this place to anyone looking for a more personal snorkeling adventure. I was on a cruise ship that stopped at a port in Roatan, Honduras. A van picked up from the cruise port and drove us to Upachaya. I had a great time at Upachaya. I was only there for about 4 hours for snorkeling and lunch. The entire staff was very friendly. The snorkeling was great! Spent about two hours in the water. Lots to see! Took some great pictures. I didn't stay the night but did have a chance to check out the rooms and they look very spacious and well maintained. Would love to go back one day :)

• Stayed May 2014
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

I had such a brilliant stay with Barb at Upachaya Eco-Lodge, one of the highlights of my trip in Roatan: from the comfortable accommodation to a great yoga class and some of the best and healthiest food I had on the island, and Barb was so wonderful, kind, welcoming and helpful. The property is peaceful, loved my breaks in the pool surrounded by lush gorgeous nature. This place is fantastic! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had a fabulous stay with Barb at Upachaya. Two weeks waking up in a beautiful, tranquil place with coffee and breakfast waiting just outside our door on the deck. We were there for some volunteer work and Barb went above and beyond to help us. She took extra time to answer all kinds of questions. She knows all the ins and outs of the island and provided us with an incredible amount of information that helped make our volunteer project a success. During our down time, we also were able to take advantage of her on-site snorkel excursions. Her guides were great, the snorkeling spots were beautiful and the included lunch was healthy and delicious. Thanks Barb!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends