“Wonderful lodging”

Upachaya Eco-Lodge
Ranked #3 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I spent 8 nights at Upachaya and had a much needed retreat from my crazy, busy life in California. The food was amazing, the spa services excellent (best massage I've ever had) and the snorkeling right off the dock of Upachaya was incredible. I have been a diver since 1989 but unable to wear fins this trip due to a foot surgery. I did not feel like I missed a thing with the ability to snorkel the reef right from the dock of Upachaya, a short kayak or patio boat ride away. The property is very peaceful with the sound of the birds and beautiful plants and trees. There was hiking and an arboreteum adjacent to the property that I was unable to enjoy this trip, but I will definitely be back. Barb ensures a customized experience for all her guests and I highly recommend Upachaya for a peaceful and relaxing retreat or vacation.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 7, 2014

What a wonderful surprise ... hidden away behind the jungle. The accommodations are new, clean and comfortable. However, the BETTER part ... was the care taker and all her staff. They were always sincere, smiling and helpful. I have never been to a more relaxing enjoyable local. The very BEST part ... was the food. It was not only healthy and delicious ... but they took into account my need to avoid onions without laughing at me. You will not be disappointed with your stay ... and you will definitely want to take advantage of the snorkeling and kayaking from their dock. Doug

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I spent a week at Upachaya and loved it. From the time I got off the plane, Barb made sure that I had everything I could possibly need. Driver waiting at the airport? Check. When I realized I would like a car to explore the island, she called 4 rental places to get the best deal. The location is far enough to surround yourself in peace and quiet, while close enough (though a vehicle is recommended) to both the beach and local action. The food was great, relaxing at the pool was sublime. I'd recommend this place for people who want to travel to Roatan but don't want to be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of cruise line day visitors.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2014

When you arrive at Upachaya you immediately feel at home and relaxed. Barbara and her staff do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. Coming from New Orleans I was worried about the food situation. I shouldn't of been. Barbara is an outstanding cook! I have eaten at many places around Roatan and Barbara's cooking is by far the best I have had. Everything was delicious, from the fresh mango bread in the mornings to the fresh lion fish at night. Everything just tasted clean and fresh. I recommend this to fly fisherman as well. There are many opportunities for permit, bonefish, and tarpon just behind Upachaya.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Upachaya very much. Barbara the owner is a delight. Conversation over meals with other guests is great. The setting is just right, especially at night with the wind rustling through the leaves and the stars filling up the night sky. The rooms are spare but very clean. Having a harbor attached to the property is very convenient because you have easy access to the reef, snorkeling, kayaking, swimming, and other water activities. You're also a short cab ride or drive to other sites on the island. I'd recommend renting a car if you plan to do much around the island during your stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 10, 2014

To start off Barbara (the proprietor) is fantastic - we felt seriously at home and were able to relax without worrying about anything. The food prepared for us was natural, healthy and very tasty. Barbara is also a yoga instructor so we convinced her (thanks again Barbara!) to lead us in several sessions while we were there.

My fiancee and I went to get away for a few days in late December between Christmas/New Years and decided on Upachaya because it looked calm, relaxing, etc. We were right.

Upachaya is tucked away in a fairly remote part of Roatan and goes fairly quiet after dark, so if you're looking for nightlife, raucous parties, etc. I wouldn't recommend it. You can go into town for that but if that's your thing just stay in the West End or something. Also note that although there is access to the ocean (on a lovely walkway lined with mangroves), there is no direct beach access here.

We were looking for relaxation, health rejuvenation and a bit of reef snorkeling, so Upachaya was perfect for us. I'm also not a huge beach person so this checked off all the boxes for me. The snorkeling was absolutely amazing and there are diving options, so if that's your thing definitely check it out.

Rooms are clean and adequate though nothing extravagant. We were there during the rainy season (meaning it rained 2-3 times but never for very long) so there were quite a few bugs - come prepared. You're largely left alone by Barbara and her staff and we ended up sleeping 10+ hours a night, waking up feeling great, and starting the day with some yoga and a healthy breakfast. I went for a couple jogs in the surrounding hills and villages and people were incredibly friendly.

Overall, 2 enthusiastic thumbs up for Upachaya!

Room Tip: There are only 5-6 rooms and they're all generally good though some larger than others.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Extremely mellow and relaxing with loads of activities is what I think best describes Upachaya Eco-Resort. The grounds are quite, absolutely private and beautiful with great snorkeling and diving. I will be returning there rather than to some other larger resorts. This is my kind of place and likely yours unless your looking for lots of people, noise and confusion which I experienced elsewhere. The owner Barbara is a super friendly host and is extremely helpful in organizing whatever it is you wish to do. Although it does not have its own restaurant I did not find that to be any inconvenience whatsoever. The are many restaurants within a short Taxi ride which is easy and no hassle and very cheap.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo