“An Eco lodge not to be missed!”
Review of Upachaya Eco-Lodge

Upachaya Eco-Lodge
Ranked #2 of 50 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“An Eco lodge not to be missed!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed just over a week at Upachaya and absolutely loved the location. Great place to get away and be at peace with yourself and nature. Barb is an excellent host and tour guide of all the flora and wildlife on the grounds. I highly recommend the snorkeling tour as well. Al was a super guide pointing out all the exotic sea life.
The rooms were all unique with very nice decor and cleanliness.
Although I didn't have the opportunity to enjoy one of Barb's yoga classes I did take advantage of the Mangrove center and took my yoga mat out one morning to do my own routine in her peaceful sanctuary. The pool is a great place to lounge and suntan with a good book.
At night the pier is a great spot for stargazing but take a torch down so you don't need the pathway lights on.
I'm looking forward to signing up for a retreat at Upachaya very soon!
Thanks for an enjoyable getaway!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I called to book a snorkelling trip. All that was available was kayaking, something my husband and I did not feel comfortable with. Barb put on another excursion for the 4 of us and it was amazing. Starting with Marco our driver, he was very talkative, and answered our questions about the island. When we arrived we were graciously welcomed by Barb. Alejandro and Mario took us snorkelling and it was fantastic!! Alejandro came in the water with us, showed us tons of fish, eels, octopus, a barracuda, conch, sea urchin. And the highlight, we followed 3 giant rays around, it was incredible! We returned to have a wonderful lunch, hosted by Barb. She told us about Upachaya, it is a very lovely place. When we return to Roatan we would definitely stay there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Hello, I took a group of women to a 7 day retreat to Roatan and we stayed at Upachaya. Each room also had air conditioning for those who tend to get warmer. The staff was lovely, warm and gracious. The meals were well thought out, fresh, beautifully prepared and organic or fresh, locally grown ingredients. Upachaya also has a lovely pool with water fall an deck to enjoy. The weather was not too warm but the mosquitos are everywhere. That was the only down side to Roatan. Make sure you take good repellants that work. Upachaya gives good service, beautiful location, friendly staff and excellent yummy meals...gluten-free or whatever your preference is.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are bright, colorful and comfortable. Staying on the ground floor was what I enjoy...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is definitely for those who wish to get away from it all. After the initial shock of being unplugged I thoroughly embraced the experience. Barbara, the owner and lady of the lodge goes beyond the call of duty providing some of the best meals I have had on Roatan including her wonderful company. Also she is an excellent yoga teacher. Do try the kundalini yoga class held on Monday and Friday mornings - an invigorating way to start the day! Currently Upachaya lodge is an undiscovered gem - this will not last for long...!? I hope to return for her forthcoming detox retreat in the fall. Thank you Barbara for treating me like a friend and for what was an uplifting experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed comfortable opening out onto a porch with a wonderful view of the indigenous fl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Based on very positive Trip Advisor reviews, my wife and I booked a kayak/snorkel tour with Upachaya for the day our Holland America cruise ship docked at Isla Roatan, February 28, 2013. We add our voices to the excellent reviews on which we relied.

Barbara and her staff provided a friendly, well-managed and safe small-group experience, for significantly less than we would have had to pay for a Holland America sponsored kayak/snorkel tour. The Upachaya facility is underutilized for such a wonderful value; my wife and I were the only kayak/snorkel tour participants, so we had only a group of four: the two of us and two guides. As word gets out, I hope many more will choose to take advantage of this fabulous facility.

Although we did not stay overnight on this trip, we will choose Upachaya's clean, comfortable bed/breakfast facility if we ever plan to stay on Isla Roatan for a few days.

Yes, the ride from the cruise terminal takes you past a garbage dump. So what? If you do not wish to see "real" life in a Central American community, stay in the "Disneyland-like" cruise terminal compound and shop for local trinkets from merchants who are charged high rents by the cruise lines. For me, the drive across the island through the real community was fascinating. If you desire good value in a peaceful, friendly experience in an interesting and beautiful facility, look no further.

Ralph Pond

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ralph P
Oxford, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the most amazing place on the island. All the staff makes you feel at home and really want you to have the best time. The lodge is very secluded away from noise and the busy streets. You can lay by the beautiful pool or go on some snorkeling tours which are also amazing. The food is out of this world! Trust me we tried number of restaurants and they didn't even come close to the food here. I highly recommend this outstanding facility!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica J
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I wanted to surprise my mother with an awesome day trip. I called Barbara up and mentioned that this was a special day because it had been a long time since I've seen her. We arranged a snorkel kayak trip which was the highlight of her visit. The resort is absolutely beautiful, it is a true retreat. The whole place was hand built. The guides were very friendly, on the kayak & snorkel trip we saw lots of wild life, and were provided with water to keep us hydrated. After the tour, there was an all natural meal with a nice selection of vegetarian friendly plates ready for us. Overall, this is a must do when visiting Roatan. On a side note; the owner gave us a fun board game about living in Roatan. Two thumbs and a big-toe up!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family