“An Oasis of Calm”

Upachaya Eco-Lodge
Ranked #2 of 55 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is definitely for those who wish to get away from it all. After the initial shock of being unplugged I thoroughly embraced the experience. Barbara, the owner and lady of the lodge goes beyond the call of duty providing some of the best meals I have had on Roatan including her wonderful company. Also she is an excellent yoga teacher. Do try the kundalini yoga class held on Monday and Friday mornings - an invigorating way to start the day! Currently Upachaya lodge is an undiscovered gem - this will not last for long...!? I hope to return for her forthcoming detox retreat in the fall. Thank you Barbara for treating me like a friend and for what was an uplifting experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed comfortable opening out onto a porch with a wonderful view of the indigenous fl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Based on very positive Trip Advisor reviews, my wife and I booked a kayak/snorkel tour with Upachaya for the day our Holland America cruise ship docked at Isla Roatan, February 28, 2013. We add our voices to the excellent reviews on which we relied.

Barbara and her staff provided a friendly, well-managed and safe small-group experience, for significantly less than we would have had to pay for a Holland America sponsored kayak/snorkel tour. The Upachaya facility is underutilized for such a wonderful value; my wife and I were the only kayak/snorkel tour participants, so we had only a group of four: the two of us and two guides. As word gets out, I hope many more will choose to take advantage of this fabulous facility.

Although we did not stay overnight on this trip, we will choose Upachaya's clean, comfortable bed/breakfast facility if we ever plan to stay on Isla Roatan for a few days.

Yes, the ride from the cruise terminal takes you past a garbage dump. So what? If you do not wish to see "real" life in a Central American community, stay in the "Disneyland-like" cruise terminal compound and shop for local trinkets from merchants who are charged high rents by the cruise lines. For me, the drive across the island through the real community was fascinating. If you desire good value in a peaceful, friendly experience in an interesting and beautiful facility, look no further.

Ralph Pond

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is the most amazing place on the island. All the staff makes you feel at home and really want you to have the best time. The lodge is very secluded away from noise and the busy streets. You can lay by the beautiful pool or go on some snorkeling tours which are also amazing. The food is out of this world! Trust me we tried number of restaurants and they didn't even come close to the food here. I highly recommend this outstanding facility!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica J
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I wanted to surprise my mother with an awesome day trip. I called Barbara up and mentioned that this was a special day because it had been a long time since I've seen her. We arranged a snorkel kayak trip which was the highlight of her visit. The resort is absolutely beautiful, it is a true retreat. The whole place was hand built. The guides were very friendly, on the kayak & snorkel trip we saw lots of wild life, and were provided with water to keep us hydrated. After the tour, there was an all natural meal with a nice selection of vegetarian friendly plates ready for us. Overall, this is a must do when visiting Roatan. On a side note; the owner gave us a fun board game about living in Roatan. Two thumbs and a big-toe up!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Aaron H
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our cruise ship dropped us off at the main port and we walked a short distance to find our driver, who shuttled us to the resort on the north side of the island. The owner Barbara greeted us and showed us around her Eco-Lodge and Wellmess Resort. She shared her story with us and told us many interesting facts of the plants and herbs they grow and their medical purposes.

We went snorkeling at two different places and the two young men were very professional and knowledgable, one was a master diver. We were a group of senior citizens with not much snorkeling experience and they helped us with every detail. As we snorkeling he made sure we all saw the different kinds of sea creatures and he found us beautiful shells and starfish to look at.
We felt very safe even tho we had ruff waters that day.
After snorkeling Barbara made us a delicious vegetarian lunch of pasta and fresh fruit. We were shown the rooms in her resort and they were very clean and well maintained. They have a beautiful pool with a swim up bar too.
We had plenty of time to get back to the cruise ship and had a very nice excursion, cheaper than what the cruise ship offered.
Thanks to everyone at Upachaya!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Upachaya is a truly amazing property! It's the perfect place to unwind and relax for 2 or 3 days, with its cute pool area, the lovely garden, the big yoga hood and its own landing stage from where you can start kayak trips. The rooms are simple but very new and clean!
The best part was probably the owner Barbara. She's a great cook and yoga teacher, makes her own natural beauty products and is just very dedicated. Staying at Upachaya feels like staying with an old friend, that's how nice she is!
The hotel is not super close to the touristy area at West End and West Bay (about 15-20 by car) but Barbara works with great local drivers. Herbert drove us everywhere and we did one day trip with him from the East to the West End of the island. He was very service oriented and really tried to show us everything of interest - from the main attractions to the more hidden places where you find only locals.
We can totally recommend Upachaya!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was a day guest in this eco lodge in December 2012, and I can only recommend it. The place is beautiful like no other place I've seen on this island and it's very well maintained. The food (I tasted a vegetarian dish) is delicious. All other guests I talked to were extremely satisfied as well. I saw three different rooms, and all of them were extremely clean and had a nice individual touch. (Unfortunately, I haven't had time to stay overnight in this lodge.) The owner is very dedicated to offer her guests a unique experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo