“FULL Dive shop giving the royal treatment!!”
Review of Subway Watersports

Subway Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are PADI 5 Star Dive Center and Green Star Award Winner located on the north side of Roatan, Honduras, at Turquoise Bay Resort catering to multiple hotels, vacation rental homes and cruise ship visitors. We offer scuba diving and lessons, snorkeling, kayaking and other water sports as weekly packages or day excursions. Enjoy diving or snorkeling on our private dive sites. Only a short boat ride away you find amazing dive/snorkel sites with drop offs, canyons, swim throughs and the Caribbean's biggest variety of coral and sponges. PADI Divemasters guide all dives. Enjoy valet diving and the best personal attention and customer service you deserve!
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Virginia Beach, Virginia
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“FULL Dive shop giving the royal treatment!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I had superb service with this dive company from the time I emailed (Holly) to schedule dives to the last day when I paid and got farewell hugs from our boat captain and dive master!!

Subway is located at Turquoise Bay Resort which is on the north eastern part of Roatan.....about 35 mins from West End (that crowded touristy area). It is the only dive company in this area which means you only get to see underwater stuff when you dive instead of tons of other divers. They take you to a wide variety of locations and offer different specialty dives such as wreck diving, night diving, some small scale cave diving, shark dives, getting your lion fish hunting license, etc. They have open lockers to keep all your gear and have it all set up and ready to go before you even get on the boat. They switch out tanks for you, rinse and hang all your gear in your assigned locker at the end of the day and repeat the next day!

They have 5 boats total (I think). Two larger ones for larger groups and then smaller ones for only taking a few people. My dive group all week consisted of 5 total including the dive master. The boat was kind of sketchy looking but it went faster which meant we got to thr dive site quicker! :) We did the backflip off the side to enter the water.

We were told the sea life is usually more abundant but since a few storms are rolled through recently, the water had churned up more and since it was cloudy, the colors weren't as great as they can be. It's nature, so no big deal. Tons of eagle rays, moray eels, fish, awesome coral canyons!, HUGE hermit crabs, lobsters amd crabs. Unfortunately, we didnt get to see any sharks but those are hit or miss.

I felt completely comfortable diving with a group of strangers. Our DM gave very thorough dive briefings before entering the water. We came back to the shop after each dive since we only went about 15 mins off shore at the most. This was great so we could grab snacks or whatever.

This is the only company I've dove with in Roatan and I highly recommend them! Great people.....remember there's a 19% sales tax on everything no matter how you pay.

3 Thank palleiske05
Subway_Watersports, Manager at Subway Watersports, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an informative and thoughtful review! We really enjoy hearing about people's experiences as we are continuously looking to improve and expand on our services here at Subway. So thanks from the whole Subway Team and come back and dive with us anytime in the future!

Las Vegas, Nevada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

From start to finish, this was a great trip! Our boat captain Larry and guide Soup made the entire experience so enjoyable. I was amazed at the amount of fish and marine life lived on the reef. The corals were stunning and I held a starfish that was bigger and my head. The 1-hour trip was just long enough that I didn’t tire out or get too much sun. Highly recommended activity in Roatan!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank LasVegasGypsy
Subway_Watersports, Manager at Subway Watersports, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here at Subway! I'm very happy to hear your enjoyed your cruise ship snorkel excursion as much as you did. I hope you'll come back to Subway for a longer visit next time you're in the neighbourhood. Happy travels until then!
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Diversion 2014-Academy of Scuba style”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Subway Watersports were troopers when Academy of Scuba's Diversion 2014 took over for a week! Everyone from day one were more than accomodating! It was a pleasant suprise that with 50 plus divers, there were no suprises!! This shop was able to anticipate the needs of the group and do so with a smile and cheerful attitude. It was obvious that these employees love their job! I ,of course, am partial to The Lady Rose with Captain Bruce and DiveMaster extroidnaire Roger!!

Weather did not allow us to dive the south side of the island but Subway made sure that we made up for that! I did not get to cross off a seahorse off my bucket list....but bring your cameras because Roger will give find everything possible!

Surface interval time was greeted with fresh pineapple, water, and friendly banter. This crew made sure everyone on the boat felt comfortable!

Holly is doing an amazing job! The shop offers local souvenirs, tee shirts, and books. Don't blame them for the 19% tax! haha

I would recommend Subway Watersports to any diver AND if I ever return to Roatan, I will most certainly dive with these highly trained, motivated, friendly and cheerful group of divers that I now call my friends!

Visited April 2014
Thanks for the glowing review!! We had one crazy week there but it was an absolute treat to host such an amazing group of people! I very much hope we make it on to the AOS's roster again in the future. Happy diving until then!
Phoenix, Arizona
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“No worries, Dive Happy”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Rodger is the BEST Dive Master in Roatan!!! That being said please allow me to write my over all review… You may have read other recent reviews buy Academy of Scuba travelers… If not here is the quick and dirty… 50 yes, FIFTY divers all arrived the same day in Roatan and took over a resort and dive shop (awesome right) We thought so! The staff at Subway Watersports has organization down to a tee. Could you imagine organizing four boats with 50 divers for a week? I'm talking three to four dives a day, early morning deep dives, night dives, and making sure all who were doing specialty certs got the dives sites they needed in, and a level of service that I have not seen anywhere else. It is also the first shop in Roatan to be able to certify divers in Florescent Night Diving and I had the privilege to be their first student to certify! I cannot say enough about how awesome this shop is. Our boat, the Lady Rose, was the best! Best setup and best crew. Our captain Bruce always had a smile and never made us feel like dumb tourists even though we asked a lot of questions about the island and it's history. Rodger our DM knew the best routs on the numerous amazing dive sites, changed out all our gear on the boat between dives, and lugged it back and forth to the storage lockers every morning and afternoon. Man is amazing. Truly someone we could count on in any situation. If you are planning a trip to Roatan and are looking for a reliable, amazing dive shop to help you have the trip of your lifetime… look no further Subway Watersprts is your destination!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank JenineLDiversion2014
Thanks so much for your kind words Jenine and congrats again on your Fluorescent Night Diving Specialty cert! It was a ton of fun having you guys here and much too quiet after you all left! I will pass your messages along to Bruce and Roger and I know they had a great time with your group over the week as well. Such a pleasure to be your hosts, really. Come back anytime!!!
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“One of the best dive shops I've experienced”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Our group of 50 Phoenix divers from Academy of Scuba invaded Subway Watersports and Turquoise Bay Dive Resort for a week (I did a corresponding review of Turquoise Bay). Subway Watersports was an EXCELLENT dive shop, comparable to any top dive shop around the world, and I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to dive Roatan.

First of all, the STAFF! All of the staff members of Subway Watersports went above and beyond to serve their diving customers. Our dive bags were tagged upon departure from Phoenix, and when we arrived at the resort, we found them waiting at our own personal dive locker assigned for the week. The shop itself is great, too. There were plenty of hangars and shelf space to sort our gear out for the duration of the trip, and the area is locked at night (I still generally took my regulator and computer to the room). There is a lost and found area for those little misplaced items that always show up, and the shop has drinkable water available, fresh water showers, clean bathrooms (really!), an excellent selection of dive products you may need on the trip along with more fun souvenirs, quality rental gear (I brought my own), classrooms, and outdoor deck space with tables. Despite 50 divers and staff milling around, the area was never crowded, and there were drying racks to hang your wet items outside with your number, which they would then take back to your locker at the end of the day.

The shop also offers lots of classes, should you want to take them, including a very special, first of its kind, phosphoresce/bio-lumiscent night dive. Using the "blue" lights (kind of like a black light) and a yellow visor filter, you can dive at night and see the amazing glowing coral landscape. You can get certified in this type of night diving through the shop--the first in the world! This is an amazing experience, and I definitely recommend trying it.

We dove the Lady Rose--the best ship on the 7 seas! Seriously, our boat was well appointed for divers, and we would depart with our two tanks and return for lunch. The boat had lots of places to lounge around on the bow while we went to our dive location. Our captain Bruce was accommodating and collegial and always had our best interest in mind when helping to select locations (based on weather, time to get there, etc.) and responded to our every need (playing music, loading equipment, etc.). Our dive master Roger was AMAZING. He would pick the greatest reefs (I loooooved Rockstar--you won't be disappointed) and took us on tours finding all the hidden gems (toad fish, spotted drums, eels, rays, and more). Roger was so easy to get along with and talk to, always happy and willing to help, and no diver, no matter the experience level, felt that he didn't relate. He helped with problems for more novice divers in a non-judgmental and pleasant way, and he accommodated the desires of more advanced divers as well.

The attitude of Subway is accommodation of the customer, for sure. Our gear was always set up and waiting, tanks were changed out for us, everything was rinsed and hung in our dive locker, and we did not have to do anything unless you wanted to. They took us where we wanted to go, suggested great places in a variety of locations with tons of beautiful sea life and varying depths and landscapes, protected our safety (oxygen and communication equipment on board), and provided top services. Holly in the office even knew our names and boats, and everything on the office side went super smoothly (paperwork filled out in advance, c-cards quickly checked, an account kept for the week, etc.). The owners were super nice and always present. Everyone in the shop seems to get along and were happy to be there.

Truly, Subway Watersports is what I expect in a shop. Our every need was catered to, but more than that, anticipated. When we had a day where we ran late returning for lunch, they had lunch waiting for us on the dock to eat at their tables before we jumped back on the boat. On board there was always fresh pineapple and lots of water. When our group wanted to do activities like treasure hunts, Roger and the other DMs were happy to hide our cache for us to find. When one of our group hurt her arm, the staff was immediately attentive and helpful to ensure she was ok. Similarly, Bruce treated those jellyfish stings quickly and effectively on-board!

I cannot recommend them enough. You will not be disappointed.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Shanna O
I cannot thank you enough for your detailed review of our operation here at Subway Shanna. We were so excited to host your group and we couldn't have had a better time doing so. Such an easygoing, entertaining, fun bunch of divers, honestly. You made our jobs easy on this end and we would happily have you all back here again next year!!! Thanks again!