“Personal care & great diving”
Review of Subway Watersports

Subway Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are PADI 5 Star Dive Center and Green Star Award Winner located on the north side of Roatan, Honduras, at Turquoise Bay Resort catering to multiple hotels, vacation rental homes and cruise ship visitors. We offer scuba diving and lessons, snorkeling, kayaking and other water sports as weekly packages or day excursions. Enjoy diving or snorkeling on our private dive sites. Only a short boat ride away you find amazing dive/snorkel sites with drop offs, canyons, swim throughs and the Caribbean's biggest variety of coral and sponges. PADI Divemasters guide all dives. Enjoy valet diving and the best personal attention and customer service you deserve!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 1, 2013

They make it so easy to dive here! Our DM was Nelson, who always knew what was going on, in spite of the size of our group (11 divers). Our Captain was Demus, who was always alert & helpful (he always checked my air, helped me to the back of the boat, took my wt. belt first & then helped me back to my seat once I was on the boat. We had 3 in our party & were put on a boat with another group. We all became fast friends. Never having to handle tanks, BC's or regulators makes life easy. The convenience of the shop to the resort, rinse showers & buckets right at the dock, and the friendliness of the staff can't be beat. The corals & sponges are healthy and beautiful. There was a problem with trash floating over from the mainland. Government officials need to get a handle on this problem. It really was nasty. We loved our trip to Roatan, Turquoise Bay & Subway Diving.

1  Thank sueiamsue
Subway_Watersports, Manager at Subway Watersports, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. It's great to hear that everything was made easy for you guys. You'll be pleased to know the rubbish has moved on, although we still have a little bit floating in. We're really glad you had a good time and look forward to seeing you in Roatan in the future.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow, I have been diving with a lot of dive operations in the Caribbean but have never been treated as well as I was here. Everyone from Markus the owner, Becky, the manager, down to the divemasters, boat captains, and helping hands have gone out of their way to make sure that we had a great experience. They even changed their schedule to make sure that we got to see all of the sites that we wanted to see. They really spoiled us with their kindness and willingness to please us.

I also did a shark dive through another op but Becky took care of all of the arrangements for me and Markus gave me a ride there.

The reason that I gave them a 5 star rating is that I couldn't give a higher one.

I will say that the boats are not luxury dive boats, so expect that, but they are on par with all of the other dive boats that I saw in Roatan.

1  Thank Bob_Egbert

Thanks for the 6 star review ;). We had a really fun week with you guys and glad to hear you had a great time. Looking forward to having you back next year!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I have been to the Galapagos, Cozumel, Bahamas, etc., and this was by far the most intimate and organized dive shop we have ever dove with! They have a superb internship program with friendly, outgoing individuals (one of whom salvaged one of my dives due to technical issues). The program is non elitist, and they encourage experienced divers with interest to apply!
The shop runs on a 4 dive schedule being 8AM, 10AM, 2PM, and night dive. They also have shark dives through another shop and had interns accompany us. The shop is right behind the front desk and restaurant of Turquoise Bay Resort.
We went on over 40 dives altogether with Nelson as our divemaster and Dimas as the captain, who worked well together to serve us on every need. A couple of the boats are small, but small means fast. On the way to the El Aguila shipwreck we found a pod of dolphins to snorkel with and still had time to clock in our dives.
We will definitely be returning to Roatan, and will definitely be returning to Subway. The best shop we have seen so far.

Thanks for taking the time to write us a fab review. We pride ourselves on making our customers' vacations as easy as possible and encourage our interns to get involved and help out. It's good to know the program works.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was an excellent first scuba experience (DSD) for my wife and I . We've done our share of various types of water sports throughout the Caribbean and Subway Watersports truly set the bar higher than we could have ever expected! In the month of August we stayed at a rental house at Milton Point which was just 5 minutes around the corner from Turquoise Bay. For starters Subway's staff was very friendly, professional & helpful, especially with my wife as she was at first extremely nervous about scuba diving and had trouble learning to only breathe through her mouth. By the end of our open water dive she became a confident scuba novice thanks to their patient staff and the one on one attention she received. Second, their scuba interns were also very friendly and professional to us and offered plenty of helpful advise. Third, their equipment was practically brand new and their facilities were well kept, clean and inviting. Fourth, Subway is located on the pristine north side of island at Turquoise Bay and is adjacent to Turquoise Bay Resort. Also the lack of tourist crowds from the more populated areas of the island were also a plus. Lastly, WE LOVED IT, and will, without a doubt, make Subway our base camp for our SCUBA training & Future Vacation Get Away's to Come!

Thanks for the great review. We love getting people in the water for the first time and we're really happy you both enjoyed yourselves. Come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Overall, I was unimpressed with my experience with this dive shop. The shop manager is friendly, but the small boat was packed with 6 divers/snorkelers and 5 staff. There was no room to move around and the set-up in the boat was very awkward. Thankfully the dive site was only 5 minutes away. It is mostly young people who work here and the first dive leader seemed un-experienced and did not seem to have a plan for the dive. We circled around the same small area over and over. We came up with a lot of air left in our tank. I was happy to see we had a different dive leader for the second dive, but this dive was a huge disappointment. The visibility was terrible and there was not much to see. I was very disappointed that the team did not check conditions before picking this dive site. We had fantastic visibility for the first dive, but the second one was terrible. It seemed as if the team did not put much effort into planning out the dive sites based on conditions and visibility with so many dive sites available to them. This dive shop seems to focus on training new and young divers with their internship program, rather than providing a great experience for the diver. I would recommend using a different shop on the island.

2  Thank fizzoc
Subway_Watersports, Manager at Subway Watersports, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Sandy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all feedback we get from our customers, although I do ask customers to let me know straight away if there are any problems so that we can rectify the situation immediately and make sure you leave happy. It is disappointing that your review is purely based on the quality of your dives and does not mention the service as a whole e.g. transportation from ship, friendliness of all staff, ease of booking e.t.c. Sadly, as I am only finding out about your concerns through Tripadvisor there is little I can now do to make sure you are a satisfied customer like so many others.

Now let me address your concerns. As we don't know the experience of our cruise ship guests in advance we prefer to give cruise ship customers their own boat rather than mixing the groups. Our dive sites are very close so using our smaller boats is normally not a problem as it is quicker and easier to reach the sites. For the first dive the group was asked if they were happy to have one of our Divemaster trainees guide their dive, along with an instructor to supervise and their own Divemaster as well. Most people would jump for joy at having 3 dive guides for a group of 4 people but that aside if you were not happy with this all you needed to do was say and you would have been able to go just the 2 of you with your Divemaster who was also on the dive. For the 2nd dive it was just the group and the Divemaster. You went to one of our amazing sites picked as we normally see Eagle Rays. This site is in a channel so can be worse visibility than other sites but is great for life and resulted in the group seeing a shark. While I appreciate that different divers like different things underwater it is not an everyday occurrence to come close to a shark and the other divers didn't stop raving about it. That said I will ask the Divemaster to make sure that the group understands what kind of a dive they are doing in future to avoid any disappointments but of course we can't control the visibility (which is never worse than average in the Caribbean). Finally we do put a lot of effort into running a successful internship program and the majority of our divers love having an extra pair of hands to help them out during a dive or on the boats. Our interns mean we can go the extra mile with the service we offer and are very happy to get involved and help out. If you prefer bigger boats, bigger groups and less staff then maybe we are not the shop for you and I hope you find what you are looking for on your next trip to Roatan.