“Outstanding Snorkelling”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Subway Watersports

Subway Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are PADI 5 Star Dive Center and Green Star Award Winner located on the north side of Roatan, Honduras, at Turquoise Bay Resort catering to multiple hotels, vacation rental homes and cruise ship visitors. We offer scuba diving and lessons, snorkeling, kayaking and other water sports as weekly packages or day excursions. Enjoy diving or snorkeling on our private dive sites. Only a short boat ride away you find amazing dive/snorkel sites with drop offs, canyons, swim throughs and the Caribbean's biggest variety of coral and sponges. PADI Divemasters guide all dives. Enjoy valet diving and the best personal attention and customer service you deserve!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Galax VA
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Outstanding Snorkelling”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I were in Roatan third week in February on a cruise ship. I had made reservations directly with Subway Watersports and found all correspondence and confirmations timely and accurate. We were met across from cruise terminal by van with a driver and guide. There were about 10 passengers. Approximately 30 minute drive over the spine of the island to the less busy north shore area. We were greeted by the manager who had us all outfitted and ready to go on our snorkel trip in just a short while. We brought our own masks and snorkels so only needed fins. Some others in the group were going kayaking or scuba diving. Our enthusiastic crew took us out to the first reef about 10 minutes from the dock. Weather was sunny but windy.We had the reef to ourselves. We experienced the best snorkelling we have ever had. The coral was vibrant and healthy. It was a shallow reef so we were able to swim between coral and have close up looks at the fish and other life. After about an hour we came back in to the dock to break and pick up additional folks who had been kyaking. The second reef was also a short distance away. We followed along a wall for a good ways to try to see turtles or rays but did not have any luck that day. After another hour we came back in. We enjoyed luch at the resort next door then returned back to the ship.

We would not hesitate to use this dive shop again. When we return to Roatan we definitely will. Good staff, facitlities and fantastic snorkelling. Who could ask anything more?!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank galaxrex

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great dive operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

The folks at Subway run a great operation. I spent a week in Roatan doing the Advanced Open Water certification, and my friends did various other courses. The shop is well organized (thanks Kim!), dive instructors are fun and knowledgable (thanks Edwen and Fletch!), and Roatan diving is beautiful. We had lots of personalized attention and improved our skills, all while having a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

2 Thank ErinBB
Munich, Germany
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“The best dive shop I've ever dived with!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having dived all over Egypt, Thailand and the Caribbean, I have to say, Subway Watersports was so far the best dive shop I've ever dived with!

Having booked an all-inclusive package with the Turquoise Bay Resort that included diving (3 dives/day plus a night dive per week), I didn't have to worry about any costs at all. During my 2 week stay, I went on 27 dives...! Most dive sites are just a short boat ride away, so that you'll be back for lunch at the hotel and only gone ~90 minutes for the afternoon dive.

The best part: "Concierge Diving". The crew from Subway takes care of everything. The move your equipment to the boat, set it up for you, you name it. Al you have to do is get into your wetsuit and go diving. I never experienced that before in any of the maybe 10 dive shops I've been diving with. They even rinse your equipment for you after the dives...

The dive boats are functional and have everything you need. They set up smaller groups that fit together (proficiency level, etc.) and tell you in advance where they would be going that day. A nice board in the office shows who's on which boat, where it's going and who will be guiding. Great organization! All the team is super friendly and customer oriented.

Despite Subway training Divemasters (they have a Divemaster Intern Program where they not only focus on the diving side of things but also on how to run a dive shop!), I never felt like they would sacrifice any of my diving experience for training the interns.

Being there for two weeks and diving 3 dives almost every day, there was some repetition in the reefs we visited but the guides understood it to still make it a great experience at all times.

I couldn't have had a better time.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank MaKu70
Evergreen, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic people and diving and snorkeling!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I can’t say enough great things about this dive shop!!! The value for what you get is amazing, and everyone, especially Kimberly the manager, is so welcoming and informative. We stayed next door at Sea Pool Villas, and if you book a dive with Subway and stay at Sea Pool, they pick you up on your private dock…how fun! I rented a mask and fins for the week which were a great price to start with anyway, and then later Kimberly ended up throwing them in for free since we booked a charter trip.

The four of us booked a charter to Pigeon Key (2 of us dove and 2 snorkeled) and had a blast. The boat ride out is about an hour. Then we stopped near Pigeon Key which is gorgeous. We first dropped the divers off, then the captain dropped the snorkelers off. We were able to snorkel around the island, then swim up to the island and hang out. The trip then included a yummy lunch (they even made accommodations for vegetarians!), tons of snacks, sodas, water and the local beer Salva Vida. We snorkeled a bit more, then sadly headed back home. On the way back we saw dolphins, and Osmond set up his fishing poles (unfortunately he didn’t catch anything!) The price for what we got cannot be beat on this island. Our dive master Osmond was great, very entertaining and a wealth of knowledge. We also had a dive master intern on our boat Holly who was so sweet and fun to talk to; she was also a great “hostess” always offering to replenish our drinks. Osmond speared us three lion fish which we took home and made ceviche with. It was an amazing day and I would definitely use Subway again!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank hollyberry879
Bristol, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Snorkeling BETWEEN the Corals!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We met our driver outside the Carnival cruise port and hopped in for a beautiful drive through the jungle of Roatan. We arrived at the vacation villa where the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Kim (the Manager) introduced us to Renee and our adventure began. My sons and I were the only people on the boat, the weather was less than spectacular and some had cancelled. A short boat ride to a beautiful spot where starfish were everywhere and a couple strokes with the flippers put you right in the reef. Renee gave us tips on how to extend time underwater which worked well and my sons loved it. I found it not to be necessary, the corals and fans come almost to the surface. On the other side of the coral heads the floor drops off and there were Damsels, Coral Beauties, Sergeant Majors, Gars, Butterfly Fish, Wrasses, Trigger Fish, even a Queen Angel, and all sorts of fans, sponges and anemonae. JUST PLAIN GORGEOUS!!!

Visited January 2013