“Great dive operation”
Review of Subway Watersports

Subway Watersports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We are PADI 5 Star Dive Center and Green Star Award Winner located on the north side of Roatan, Honduras, at Turquoise Bay Resort catering to multiple hotels, vacation rental homes and cruise ship visitors. We offer scuba diving and lessons, snorkeling, kayaking and other water sports as weekly packages or day excursions. Enjoy diving or snorkeling on our private dive sites. Only a short boat ride away you find amazing dive/snorkel sites with drop offs, canyons, swim throughs and the Caribbean's biggest variety of coral and sponges. PADI Divemasters guide all dives. Enjoy valet diving and the best personal attention and customer service you deserve!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great dive operation”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The folks at Subway run a great operation. I spent a week in Roatan doing the Advanced Open Water certification, and my friends did various other courses. The shop is well organized (thanks Kim!), dive instructors are fun and knowledgable (thanks Edwen and Fletch!), and Roatan diving is beautiful. We had lots of personalized attention and improved our skills, all while having a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

2 Thank ErinBB

Munich, Germany
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“The best dive shop I've ever dived with!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Having dived all over Egypt, Thailand and the Caribbean, I have to say, Subway Watersports was so far the best dive shop I've ever dived with!

Having booked an all-inclusive package with the Turquoise Bay Resort that included diving (3 dives/day plus a night dive per week), I didn't have to worry about any costs at all. During my 2 week stay, I went on 27 dives...! Most dive sites are just a short boat ride away, so that you'll be back for lunch at the hotel and only gone ~90 minutes for the afternoon dive.

The best part: "Concierge Diving". The crew from Subway takes care of everything. The move your equipment to the boat, set it up for you, you name it. Al you have to do is get into your wetsuit and go diving. I never experienced that before in any of the maybe 10 dive shops I've been diving with. They even rinse your equipment for you after the dives...

The dive boats are functional and have everything you need. They set up smaller groups that fit together (proficiency level, etc.) and tell you in advance where they would be going that day. A nice board in the office shows who's on which boat, where it's going and who will be guiding. Great organization! All the team is super friendly and customer oriented.

Despite Subway training Divemasters (they have a Divemaster Intern Program where they not only focus on the diving side of things but also on how to run a dive shop!), I never felt like they would sacrifice any of my diving experience for training the interns.

Being there for two weeks and diving 3 dives almost every day, there was some repetition in the reefs we visited but the guides understood it to still make it a great experience at all times.

I couldn't have had a better time.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank MaKu70
Evergreen, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic people and diving and snorkeling!!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I can’t say enough great things about this dive shop!!! The value for what you get is amazing, and everyone, especially Kimberly the manager, is so welcoming and informative. We stayed next door at Sea Pool Villas, and if you book a dive with Subway and stay at Sea Pool, they pick you up on your private dock…how fun! I rented a mask and fins for the week which were a great price to start with anyway, and then later Kimberly ended up throwing them in for free since we booked a charter trip.

The four of us booked a charter to Pigeon Key (2 of us dove and 2 snorkeled) and had a blast. The boat ride out is about an hour. Then we stopped near Pigeon Key which is gorgeous. We first dropped the divers off, then the captain dropped the snorkelers off. We were able to snorkel around the island, then swim up to the island and hang out. The trip then included a yummy lunch (they even made accommodations for vegetarians!), tons of snacks, sodas, water and the local beer Salva Vida. We snorkeled a bit more, then sadly headed back home. On the way back we saw dolphins, and Osmond set up his fishing poles (unfortunately he didn’t catch anything!) The price for what we got cannot be beat on this island. Our dive master Osmond was great, very entertaining and a wealth of knowledge. We also had a dive master intern on our boat Holly who was so sweet and fun to talk to; she was also a great “hostess” always offering to replenish our drinks. Osmond speared us three lion fish which we took home and made ceviche with. It was an amazing day and I would definitely use Subway again!

1 Thank hollyberry879
Bristol, Connecticut
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Snorkeling BETWEEN the Corals!!!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We met our driver outside the Carnival cruise port and hopped in for a beautiful drive through the jungle of Roatan. We arrived at the vacation villa where the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Kim (the Manager) introduced us to Renee and our adventure began. My sons and I were the only people on the boat, the weather was less than spectacular and some had cancelled. A short boat ride to a beautiful spot where starfish were everywhere and a couple strokes with the flippers put you right in the reef. Renee gave us tips on how to extend time underwater which worked well and my sons loved it. I found it not to be necessary, the corals and fans come almost to the surface. On the other side of the coral heads the floor drops off and there were Damsels, Coral Beauties, Sergeant Majors, Gars, Butterfly Fish, Wrasses, Trigger Fish, even a Queen Angel, and all sorts of fans, sponges and anemonae. JUST PLAIN GORGEOUS!!!

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent Dives, Staff and Kayak Experience”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just spent a week in Roatan. By some stroke of luck, I ended up diving and kayaking with Subway Watersports next to Turquoise Bay Resort. I have been kayaking and diving in over 10 countries in the last 5 years, and my experience with Subway was one of the best!

The location: Awesome. Only 5 – 15 minutes to over a dozen dive sites. They are all so different, absolutely beautiful and unpopulated – in fact, we were the only divers in the area as far as the eye could see. Huge bonus, as it’s no fun when there are loads of groups around.

The boats: Very clean, lively/fun with music and a comfortable set up. The only complaint I have was the diesel fumes that came out of the back. But Honduras is a 3rd world country, what can I expect?

The staff: I want to mention a few names that made my experience especially enjoyable. First, the manager Kimberly is a complete sweetheart. She is very patient, kind and helpful. She seemed to really care not only about me and my wellbeing, but all of the guests that came in to dive. I felt like I was a part of the group at Subway, and as a solo traveler that is a delight. Her office assistant was smiling and helpful as well.

My divemaster was Osmen. His energy and demeanor was consistently positive. He communicated to the group well about where we were going, what we needed to do and what creatures we should look out for. I noticed he, too, tuned into the individual needs of the guests and really made it fun for everyone. We had a lot of fun lionfish hunting and he took us to great places all over the reef.

Third, the dive master interns at the resort were a pleasure to dive and spend time with. I especially enjoyed spending time with Rhami. He is very present, kind, professional and attentive. I know he is going to be an excellent dive master one day! A huge bonus was his ability to take us out on kayaks. He always made me feel safe while out on the open water. We discovered new places and had a great time doing it! I can only imagine all of the future guests who will be pleased to spend some of their precious vacation time alongside Rhami.

My only regret is that I didn’t dive more! Thank you Subway, I hope to return someday.

1 Thank TheZenGirl