“Diving with sharks!”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Diving with sharks!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

By the time you buy the video, it's a little pricey but still worth it. We were certainly not disappointd in the number and size of sharks. I've seen plenty of sharks while diving 1 or 2 at a time but this was my first "shark dive". I will have to say that it was pretty interesting seeing 15-20 sharks go into a feeding frenzy.

It's a well run and safe operation. It's not for a novice diver, although, I'm sure that some do it. The current getting to and from the bottom was more dangerous than the sharks but they had a save line to descend, you just have to hold on to it.

I expected it to be a shallow dive but it was in 72' of water for 35 minutes, so do it as your first dive of the day.

Visited September 2013

• Czech first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
240 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 222 helpful votes
“You know you are alive when you dive with predators.”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

You know, I had mixed feelings about this based on some of the reviews that I read. I finally decided that just because a few people may have had a bad experience does not mean everyone will. I have dove with sharks before at The Brother Islands in the Red Sea off of Egypt coast. I loved that alive feeling and wanted to feel it again. The dive master performed a great briefing before the dive at the dive shop and gave us very clear instructions. He had all five divers gear up on the boat before leaving in order to save time. We got there and jumped right in the water because there was no bad current today. As you are diving down and holding the mooring line, you can already see a few sharks swimming beneath you. My heart started to beat a little faster and I started to get that adrenaline alive feeling that I love so much. Once we all reached the sandy area at about 70 feet deep, we kneeled down and crossed our arms in front of us. There was a cameraman swimming among the sharks the whole time taking a memorable video of us with the sharks. The sharks were calm and curiously swimming around us. After about ten minutes or so, the dive master gave us the green light to swim amongst the sharks as well. So we did. WOW!! WOW!! Did I say WOW yet!! Unbelievable!!! If you really want to know what being "ALIVE" is, then I suggest this. If you are afraid of sharks, then I would face them head on. These girls were between six and ten feet long and there had to be more than twelve of them. They swam graciously around, under and through the group and I wish I could feel that way all of the time. After a little while, the dive master takes the lid off of the chum bucket and then the fun really begins. From a safe distance we watched the sharks fight over some fish heads and other fish stuff. After a few minutes, all of the snacks were gone and most of the sharks went off to probably take a nap. We then swam around the sandy bottom and I found two shark teeth. Totally cool!! We finished the dive and headed back to the dive shop. The staff showed us the video and offered us a copy for a price of course. The dive itself is $100 and the video is $40. So I had a total of $140 wrapped up in this experience. Do I think it is overpriced? Well of course I do. You can dive on the island reefs for $30-$40 per dive. Is the video worth $40? Well heck no. Is the experience and memories worth $140? Absolutely. The staff were great and I had an experience that I am having trouble putting into words. This is something that I will remember the rest of my life and compare other experience to. I strongly suggest that you do this. Prove to yourself that you have what it takes to swim with predators.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Kyle L
Rockford, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Diving with Sharks”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very well executed. Great video. I was more nervous about the strong current than the sharks, but we were well-informed and it was an awesome experience.

Visited August 2013
ohio
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Reviews don't lie”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Will not re-write what the member from May 25th stated. I did this dive the first week of July and it was almost a carbon copy of the may dive. This company is about two thing, and that is get divers to see sharks and get paid. There is no real customer service, but I wanted to dive with the sharks. We had a brief pre dive, put our equipment together, put it on prior to boarding the boat, took a short ride, dove to the bottom, watched the sharks, looked around for teeth and surfaced. The boat we were on also broke down halfway back, but we were lucky and had a marine ranger tow us in.
The good about this dive:
Putting my equipment together as a remainder on the proper way to set up (only time this has happened in 6 plus years of diving).
We saw 11 or so awesome sharks!!!
The video is top quality and done really well. (It is expensive $40 but the reaction on people's faces each time I show it is worth every penny).
Would I do it again? ABSOLUTLY!!! It is not everyday that you are within 3 feet of an apex predator.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank scott16
State College, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“must do, but: 1) not a dive, 2) stranded on ocean, 3) abysmal staff”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

## must be open water certified ##

So, should you do it? Well, heck yeah. Is it a ripoff? Yes. Should you get the video? Probably.

It's a $100 dive, and $40-50 for the video. This is one of those "once in a lifetime" stories. You'll never look back at the end of your life and say "man, I wish I hadn't spent $150 on that shark dive - I could have eaten at Chili's 4 times with that money!".

If you can, just spend the money. Do the dive, get the memories, and write mean reviews in hope they change their approach or another operator starts offering shark dives as well :)

If you want to know the full process of the dive, skip beyond the --- below. That said, be aware and ready.

1. It's not really a dive.
Come on. You hold to a rope, you go down 25 feet, and sit or stand at the bottom. You watch the sharks, for 10 minutes, he pops up the bait, and you swim for 10 minutes in a tiny area, and you go up. I was expecting an actual dive, but no. I felt like I was at a wet version of the Baltimore acquarium.

2. boat broke down, stranded for 90 minutes.
We came on a boat with no top. Fine, it's a short ride. However, the motor wouldn't start back up. Their backup didn't work. They said 10 minutes. They played with it for 40 minutes before calling another boat, arguing they'd just get it to work. 10 minutes, they said. No water, nothing. Took another 30 minutes for a boat to come in. We had to switch all our equipment from one boat to the other, jump over, and go back. We were all heavily sunburned. Blister type burns.

3. No freakin- apology.
We were sunburned, and upset. We had 2 people on the boat get sick, one getting close. When we made it back, they showed us the video on the TV and quickly ran away. No apologies, nothing. After the video, they told us it's $50 unless 3 out of the 9 people buy it - at which case it drops to 40. We tried to negotiate, arguing that the least they could do would be to offer us a better price after they messed up so badly, but no. He started yelling at us telling us the price was what it was.

---
How it works:
1. The pre-boat process
It's in a podonc dive shop on the south shore. You walk to the back of a hotel, and there's a TV with a white board. You get setup, they show you a short video, off you go. Pretty simple.

2. On the boat
The boat ride is about 15-20min to the reef. Huge waves on the south side, which is why nobody normally dives there. You put on your gear, and do a backward dive.

3. Getting to the bottom
You then hold to a rope and pull yourself to the mooring line. It takes quite a bit of effort, given the current, and was definitely the hardest part of the dive. it's a very shallow dive, and the line takes you all the way to the bottom. Two rows are formed, first ones there stand, second ones kneel.

4. The sharks
The sharks arrive quickly, if they are not already there. The guide brings in a full bucket of bait, which the sharks have been conditioned to push around in hopes that it opens. The cameraman dives through the sharks, but you can't. After about 10-15min at the bottom, he pops up the top (slightly), and the sharks dive on the food. That's super entertaining.

5. The sharks leave.
Pretty simple. They leave, and you're allowed to dive around aimlessly for 5-10min. Quite pointless, other than a few folks who looked for shark teeth.

6. The way up
You go up the booth, following the mooring line and holding onto that same rope. The waves are strong, so again it does require a bit of effort. Nothing too crazy.

7. Normally, you just head back to port.

Visited May 2013