“Best Lobster in Roatan”

Good for: Local cuisine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Lobster in Roatan”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We found Bertie's thanks to our taxi driver. We were looking for a place to try Iguana (typical dish in Roatan). Unfortunately, they didn't have any iguana so we asked for the lobster, Bertie's lobster. Bertie himself came to our table and told us he cooks the lobsters himself (his wife makes the best monkey la la). The beach on one side, the kitchen and Bertie cooking on the other, it was a very relaxing atmosphere.
The lobster was out of this world. Absolutely delicious mixed of spices, onions and some local bell peppers. The perfect ending for our visit to Roatan.

• Visited July 2014

Arizona
“Okay food; slow service”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were lured to Bertie's Creole Cuisine by a young man who "befriended" us on the streets. We each ordered the lobster tail special. An hour later, it arrived. Because we weren't in any hurry to be some place else, we weren't too bothered by the delay. In other circumstances, it might have been annoying. The lobster tail was large, smothered in butter, garlic and onions. In my opinion, the seasonings overpowered the lobster tail, but that's a personal preference. We ate outside by the water on a fine summer day, enjoyed the breeze, and chatted with fellow guests. What's not to like?

Visited June 2014
San Marcos, Texas
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I found this place before we went to Roatan as one of our cruise stops. Last time we had come to Roatan we were swarmed by people wanting to be our tour guide for the day. We ended up going straight back in the cruise terminal and hiring a tour. This time I had researched Bertie's and knew it was a short walk from the Coxen Hole Cruise terminal. I was pleasantly surprised to find it is only about a one block walk from the terminal. The locals can be somewhat vulture-like in wanting to show you the island, so I was glad to find somewhere close. They have a small sign on the street that points you behind a building. The view is simply fantastic. It is right on the water. They have reasonably priced drinks and the food is great. We had the garlic shrimp, which was $15 and the lobster a la Bertie, which is the same preparation as the garlic shrimp, and it was $20. They were both fantastic! We got them with french fries instead of the rice and beans that usually comes with both because my husband is allergic to beans. The sauce was absolutely amazing. The seafood may have been a tad overcooked, but it was still delicious. The service was friendly, and not overbearing. I will definitely eat at Bertie's anytime I am on a cruise stop at Coxen Hole.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth B
Atlanta
“Good Island Food near the port”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had limited time after the morning activities and were looking for some lunch with local character. I asked several guides at South Shore ziplining and they recommended Bertie's. I love eating in dives and visually; Bertie's qualifies as a dive.

The menu options were limited. My wife and I ordered the fried grouper and it was spectacular. It came with beans & rice and fried plantains. Of course, it wouldn't be the Island experience without a few SalvaVidas.

The dining is open air on a dirt floor and this just amplifies the ambiance. The waterfront tables look out on both the port and Maya Key.

The only somewhat surprising thing was that the prices were on a US-scale. I would have expected something on a cost-scale more inline with general Island economy ... I also recognize that it is 100 hundreds from the port.

• Visited December 2013
Huntsville, TX
“Great local island food”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We always try to eat at Bertie's at least once on each trip to Roatan. This time we had the garlic grouper and the garlic shrimp and both were delicious. Their spices make the food taste different in a very good way. Their beans and rice are also very good, as are the plantains. They are on island time, so it takes a while to get your food, but they are right on the ocean next to the Coxen Hole cruise ship port, so the atmosphere is relaxing. It rained when we were there, but we did not get wet due to the outside, open covered eating area. If you want a taste of a true Roatan eating experience, try Bertie's.

• Visited December 2013