“Great time- visited during Cruise”
Review of Maya Key

Maya Key
Ranked #7 of 74 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: 11.5 acre private island conveniently located just three minutes across the bay from the Roatan cruise pier and 15 minutes away from Mahogany Bay Cruise Pier. This pristine island features two secluded beaches, excellent snorkeling from a scenic pier, a 70,000 gallon swimming pool, 5,000 square foot lounge deck, lush garden paths bursting with indigenous flora and most recently an animal rescue center, artisan plaza and Roatan's finest cultural attraction, The Bay Island's Interpretation Center and Ethnic Honduran Art Exhibit Center.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My sister and I sailed aboard the Carnival Glory April 28-May 5, 2013 and we booked the Maya Key Private Island Snorkeling w/ Lunch through Carnival directly.
We left the ship and went to meet the tour guide. We had about 35 min to wait till it was time to leave so we wandered around the stores located right off the cruise pier.
Once we were ready to leave we were ushered to the waiting boat.
Once everybody was aboard we left for the island which was a short ride away.
We were given instructions when we got there about the different things to do, locker rentals, what time lunch would be served, ect and off we went.
Once again we were the only ship in port that day so it was not overly crazy busy, which was really enjoyable.
We went to the far side of the beach and got our snorkel gear out, walked out the dock and jumped in the water. We swam around, lots of fish to see. I scraped my knee and leg on the coral, once back up on the dock they were great and cleaned it and put antibiotic ointment on it for me.
We walked around the island to look at the different animals. In one of the far cages the workers were trying to make one of the 'cats' come out of the corner. That really did not impress me. It is supposed to be a sanctuary, let them be.
Clinton was the waiter on the beach and he was great.
Lunch was good. After we were tired of laying on the beach we went up to the pool to jump in there.
When it was time they loaded those that were left and took us back to the mainland. There was not enough time to do any additional shopping. That would be my biggest complaint. But that is not the excursions fault.
Overall had a great time.
Will try to add some pictures, but my camera did not really take any under 5MB.

2  Thank Darla41595
There are newer reviews for Maya Key

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I booked the excursion to maya key on my carnival glory cruise, and had a lot of fun.

you have about a 5 minute scenic walk from the meeting place to the boat, and from there it's about a 10 minute boat ride.

the pier is in front of the "yellow" building where you pick up your snorkel gear and where you can rent a locker for $3 plus a $5 deposit (you can pay by cash or credit card). this is also where the gift shop is.

we got there about 10 and were told lunch would be ready at 11 so I went snorkling.

you enter the water by a ladder from the pier (no - you cannot reach the reef from the beach - it's roped off). once you get off the ladder the water is about chest-deep. there are markers if you want to go out to the drop off which I did not. and there are several interesting coral with lots of fish.

lunch is a small buffet which is not all you can eat - they mark your wristband. you get salad, and then there are attendants who serve you fish or chicken and rice & beans. you get iced tea or water and there is a full bar where you can purchase drinks. the dining area was a nice shaded tropical out door area.

the beach is nice and relaxing. nice and shaded with lots of loungers.

the boat for my tour time left at 2:00, but by 1:00 I was a little tired so I took the 1:30 boat back. this gave me just enough time to look through a few shops at the port. I wouldn't have been able to look at the shops if I had taken the 2:00 boat as you have to be back on the ship by 2:30.

3  Thank jennifer w
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We went here from our cruise ship in April, (yes, it is only available from the cruise ships,) There weren't very many people there. (I think some of the Carnival ships weren't able to dock that day - I don't know if their passengers would have come to Maya Key,) lovely beach, the snorkeling was AMAZING. I had never been snorkeling before, but I am SO glad that I did. (Even though I was worried the whole time about sharks, haha...) Really beautiful. We enjoyed looking at the animals and walking around and relaxing by the pool.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We decided to book Maya Key from our cruise ship (now the only way you can get there) and we had an AMAZING time. The place is just beautiful. They have lush greenery and flowers everywhere and beautifully landscaped.

They have a replica Mayan Ruins which was pretty. A huge gift shop and the restrooms/changing/locker room areas were very modern and nice!

Tons of wild rescue animals to see and it's like visiting your very own mini-zoo there. I loved watching the howler monkey run free in the trees on the little island. You could hold a monkey too if you wanted.

The beach was nice and plenty of room under the trees to lounge.

The pool was very nice and well kept and my 4 year old loved it.

The food was good and the eating area is very nice as well. The only complaint I would have is they put a wrist band on you and mark you off when you eat so that you can't come back for more. This is the ONLY place I have ever been to that didn't allow you to come back for more of something you might really like.

The snorkeling....OH WOW! You talk about the most amazing snorkeling ever. You walk down the pier and get in and instant satisfaction. Really, it's that good. They have markers (plastic pop bottles) that you can follow (so you do get lost or get yourself in a place with coral and can't get out). There is tons of sealife everywhere and plenty to see. You will find some pretty big fish hanging out around under the dock/boat area. When you follow the markers out you come to that moment that you see in the movie "Finding Nemo"....the drop off. Amazing and beautiful. It takes your breath away.

The plus side of this tour is they allowed you to stay as long as you want with a boat leaving every hour, which made it really nice.

There is also an airport near by and you will see some low flying planes coming in which is neat.

We did not want to leave this place....ever! It's now one of our favorite places in Roatan and definitely a "do not miss" event.

5  Thank mitsugirly
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We recently completed a cruise on Royal Caribbean and stopped off in Roatan at a small island called Maya Key. This excursion was booked through the cruise line. It offered swimming, snorkeling, and guided tours of an animal sanctuary. This is a lovely place to relax...the day we were there the weather was poor, but we had the place to ourselves! The beach is small and somewhat rocky, but plenty of lounge chairs. The snorkeling is at the end of a long pier and guides are availabale upon request to show you the best there is to see, we even saw a lobster!

Lunch was buffet style and consisted of stewed chicken and beans & rice with a lettuce salad. It was good enough for our 9 year old niece to enjoy (picky eater!). Restrooms are clean and nearby. The pool was nice and adequate for kids to play. The animal sanctuary has a very good assortment of animals from large to small, but some of the cages lack space for the animals to roam.

We did not have time to watch sea lion or shark feedings, but that would have been a real treat. This is a relaxing excursion, close to the pier with plenty to do. There are continuous shuttles back to the boat every 20-30 minutes so you never feel as though you are pressed for time.

Certainly worth the money...

4  Thank JC-Grillmaster