“Amazing Snorkeling Tour”
Review of Upachaya

Upachaya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Just minutes away from both cruise ship terminals. Upachaya offers small, personal tours. Our experienced snorkel guides will show you the hidden wonders of our fabulous reef system and for those on kayaks and paddleboards you will also experience the mangrove tunnels. Transportation, a meal with beverage and snorkel equipment are provided, as well as a Roatan Marine Park Day Pass. Pontoon Snorkel tour for those wanting more comfort - $78.00 Kayak and Snorkel tour for those a bit more adventurous - $78.00 Stand Up Paddleboard tour new and great fun - $68.00 All tours are approximately 4 1/2 hours in length from the time we pick you up until we return you. All guests are provided a short botanical tour of our gardens. Contrary to some of the pictures from reviewers on this site, we ask guests DO NOT TOUCH THE MARINE LIFE. YOUR FINGER OILS COULD KILL IT, OR YOU COULD GET STUNG. WE RESPECT ALL MARINE LIFE AND ASK YOU TO VIEW IT ONLY. SCHEDULE YOUR TOUR FROM JULY 22nd TO SEPTEMBER 30th AND RECEIVE A 15% DISCOUNT ON ALL TOURS IF YOU MENTION YOU FOUND US ON TRIP ADVISOR. Get away from the crowds and discover Roatan's undeveloped north shore. Just minutes away from both cruise ship terminals. Upachaya offers small, personal tours. Our experienced snorkel guides will show you the hidden wonders of our fabulous reef system and for those on kayaks and paddleboards you will also experience the mangrove tunnels. Transportation, a meal with beverage and snorkel equipment are provided, as well as a Roatan Marine Park Day Pass. Pontoon Snorkel tour for those wanting more comfort - $78.00 Kayak and Snorkel tour for those a bit more adventurous - $78.00 Stand Up Paddleboard tour new and great fun - $68.00 All tours are approximately 4 1/2 hours in length from the time we pick you up until we return you. All guests are provided a short botanical tour of our gardens. Contrary to some of the pictures from reviewers on this site, we ask guests DO NOT TOUCH THE MARINE LIFE. YOUR FINGER OILS COULD KILL IT, OR YOU COULD GET STUNG. WE RESPECT ALL MARINE LIFE AND ASK YOU TO VIEW IT ONLY.
Aliso Viejo, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Amazing Snorkeling Tour”
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We arrived on the Carnival Valor on July 8, 2009. Barb Met us at the main gate. She was easy to spot, and walked us a few blocks to her driver who drove us to her property where she and Duane are building a wellness resort. She gave us a tour of her property and all the local plants, it was very informative. There was only myself, my wife and 12 year old daughter on the trip. Duane and Barb joined us on the pontoon boat out to both snorkeling spots. The reefs were amazing and alive. It was a bit windy and choppy on our day so we stayed close to the boat, but still had a great time. Barb made a fantastic lunch, some native recipies. Even my 12 year old daughter loved it. Barb was kind enough after the trip to even email us the recipes! Thanks for a great trip......we wish you the best in building your dream!

1 Thank strafel

Madison, Wisconsin
“BEST SNORKEL TOUR I'VE EVER BEEN ON”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I have traveled around the world, from America to Australia, from Bahrain to Brazil, from Thailand to Guam and most places in between. This snorkel tour is by far the best bang for the buck (transportation, snorkel gear, boat ride, food & drink all for one low price). I have not been on another snorkel tour that even comes close to the quality that I received from Barb & Duane. I highly recommend this tour, even for those individuals who have never snorkeled before. The mild mannered / laid back atmosphere espoused by Barb & Duane enabled by children to learn from their expert snorkeling advice and were soon snorkeling with the fish and having a ball.

Austin, TX
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Time”
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We just got back from cruising on Carnival Legend 6/7/09. Ship pulls up to a dock, so really easy to get on and off. Barb really is the only "gringa" around. She and Duane grew up in the U.S. then fell in love with Roatan and decided to move there a few years ago. They are in the process of opening a Wellness Resort. The ride to their cove was 15-20 min. and everything went smoothly. They took good, personalized care of us (Barb even worked on remembering everyone's names in our group of 12). First, we snokeled at a shipwreck in about 6 feet of water, which was more impressive above water than below (too much coral growth on the ship to really see much of it). Next we snokeled at a reef that has an 80'+ drop off. That was probably the best part of snorkeling. Our group was too large to have lunch on the boat (which Barb said is the typical plan), so we drove back to their dock and had a nice lunch waiting for us. I have to say the food was really good! We got back to port about an hour before we had to be back on the ship. Overall, a very relaxing excursion.

Tips:
- Just ask the locals/security for the correct gate to exit. It's not the main gate like we expected.
- Bring plenty of suncreen, especially for your back while snokeling.

Antioch
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Couldn't have been any better”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

WOW is the best word I can think of to start off with. This was a fantastic excursion and I would highly recommend it to anyone taking a trip to Roatan and wanting to snorkel. So glad I read reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to give them a try because the cruise ship excursions cost almost twice as much and were loaded with people. Barb met us at the port when we got off the cruise ship and whisked us off for a beautiful day on the ocean. There were only 7 of us which made for a very personalized and relaxing day. Not only did she take us to a couple amazing places to snorkel, she also fed us delicious homemade lunch and provided us with plenty of drinks to choose from. Everyone went back for seconds and even thirds. You always felt safe and her company was very enjoyable. I hope to see them again.

1 Thank Linda S
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Upachaya reef snorkel tour”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

This was one of our highlights out of all excursions. We were cruising for the first time, our ports of call were Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. By far for me this was the best excursion we had. We booked the tour a good 2 months ahead of time for me and my wife. On the day of the tour, Marco our driver was waiting for us on the port with our names on it. To our surprise we found out that we two were the only ones for the tour. Once on the property Dwaine was waiting for us. He had us ready got our snorkel gear and off we went on his nice boat. Drinks and some snacks were presented on the boat (the only gripe we had was the food, I had written to Barb way ahead and made sure to have vegetarian food for us, but to our surprise they had turkey rolls that day, so we had to make up with some chips and cheese). Apart from that we had wonderful time, I do not want anyone to get a negative vibe out of this. As I said earlier we had the most wonderful time with Dwaine, he was very informative and gave us a lot of information. My wife is a non swimmer and she was snorkeling for second time after doing it in Grand Cayman a day before. She was give a life jacket and Devi helped her go around the ship wreck and made her trip enjoyable. If I had to do this again will definitely do it again with them.

2 Thank charotarguy

Been to Upachaya? Share your experiences!