“A MUST do while on Roatan”
Review of Upachaya

Upachaya
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Just minutes away from both cruise ship terminals. Upachaya offers small, personal tours. Our experienced snorkel guides will show you the hidden wonders of our fabulous reef system and for those on kayaks and paddleboards you will also experience the mangrove tunnels. Transportation, a meal with beverage and snorkel equipment are provided, as well as a Roatan Marine Park Day Pass. Pontoon Snorkel tour for those wanting more comfort - $78.00 Kayak and Snorkel tour for those a bit more adventurous - $78.00 Stand Up Paddleboard tour new and great fun - $68.00 All tours are approximately 4 1/2 hours in length from the time we pick you up until we return you. All guests are provided a short botanical tour of our gardens. Contrary to some of the pictures from reviewers on this site, we ask guests DO NOT TOUCH THE MARINE LIFE. YOUR FINGER OILS COULD KILL IT, OR YOU COULD GET STUNG. WE RESPECT ALL MARINE LIFE AND ASK YOU TO VIEW IT ONLY. SCHEDULE YOUR TOUR FROM JULY 22nd TO SEPTEMBER 30th AND RECEIVE A 15% DISCOUNT ON ALL TOURS IF YOU MENTION YOU FOUND US ON TRIP ADVISOR. Get away from the crowds and discover Roatan's undeveloped north shore. Just minutes away from both cruise ship terminals. Upachaya offers small, personal tours. Our experienced snorkel guides will show you the hidden wonders of our fabulous reef system and for those on kayaks and paddleboards you will also experience the mangrove tunnels. Transportation, a meal with beverage and snorkel equipment are provided, as well as a Roatan Marine Park Day Pass. Pontoon Snorkel tour for those wanting more comfort - $78.00 Kayak and Snorkel tour for those a bit more adventurous - $78.00 Stand Up Paddleboard tour new and great fun - $68.00 All tours are approximately 4 1/2 hours in length from the time we pick you up until we return you. All guests are provided a short botanical tour of our gardens. Contrary to some of the pictures from reviewers on this site, we ask guests DO NOT TOUCH THE MARINE LIFE. YOUR FINGER OILS COULD KILL IT, OR YOU COULD GET STUNG. WE RESPECT ALL MARINE LIFE AND ASK YOU TO VIEW IT ONLY.
San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A MUST do while on Roatan”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I got to Roatan so excited to see the meso-american reef... My mom and I are avid snorkelers (if there is such a thing)... we love the freedom of the underwater sea life and couldn't wait to get out there. This was at the end of March and an unusually stormy spell cast over the Bay Islands for our first few days. I did my own "concierge" basically through trip advisor, forums, and word of of mouth. I heard about Barbara and her amazing Eco-Lodge, the kayaking through the mangroves and the amazing reef about 30 minutes out by kayak. This area BY FAR the most clarity, no people except the couple of people and our guide that were a part of Barbara's crew. We saw Sting Rays, lion fish, puffer fish, and hammer head sharks were even reported. The clarity of the reef was amazing, and the ease and kindness of the crew was insurmountable. My mom and I were not coming from a cruise, which most of the visitors are. But we were still picked up from our vacation villa in West Bay Beach and brought to Barbara's sanctuary. Upon return, I came down with a horrible cold, and our driver even went way out of his way to take us to a farmacia so I could get medicine. I told Barbara I would leave her an amazing review, and I feel this doesn't do it justice. If you are on Roatan to see marine life, visit Upachaya, Barbara will take care of you, and treat you like family. 10 stars if I could give it.
Oh, and Barbara feeds you as part of the fee. Fresh fruit, organic whole grains, and other yummy stuff she grows and makes right there.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank sarah g
Upachaya, Owner at Upachaya, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Sarah,
Thank you for your review of your tour here at Upachaya. I truly appreciate your comments regarding staff. I am very blessed to have such fantastic people on my team here at Upachaya. We are also very fortunate to have such amazing marine life here at the snorkel spots on the Meso-American barrier reef close to Upachaya. Please don't hesitate to join us again in the future, should you be in this neck of the woods.

Warm Regards,
Barbara

Loveland, Colorado, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended for an enjoyable excursion!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I booked the kayak and snorkel tour and both decided that it was our favorite excursion on our Carnival Cruise. Because of rough waters our ship wasn't able to dock at Mahogany Bay and instead docked at Coxen Hole. The confirmation that was provided by Upachaya gave us very good directions to a meeting place in case we were docked at Coxen Hole. Our driver was waiting for us just outside of the dock as described.

Our driver was very friendly and gave us some information about Roatan on the 20 (or so) drive to Upachaya. He pointed out cashew trees and more. When we arrived at Upachaya Barbara was there to greet us. Right away we took note of how beautiful her property was. We were both impressed with the amount and types of vegetation she was growing on her property to feed her guests. Our group was very small so after a brief introduction to her property she got us ready for our kayak and snorkeling trip and introduced us to the guys that were going to be taking us on our tour. I am usually hesitant about leaving my belongings unattended, but at no time did I feel uneasy about leaving my stuff in her care while we were out on the water.

We had 2 very nice, young guys (I forgot names!) guiding us on our kayak tour. We navigated away from the dock, through mangroves, and then into the ocean towards the location we would be snorkeling. The water was pretty choppy that day so it did take a little effort to paddle out into the water, but nothing too difficult. Once we got out to the coral reefs we tied up the kayaks, put on snorkel gear, and dove into the refreshing water. The one young man who lead us on the snorkeling tour was great! He pointed out lots of different sea creatures for us to see. Barb warned us that he would dive deep and disappear, which he did. It was amazing to see how far down he could dive and how long he stayed down. He was a lot of fun to snorkel with. Meanwhile, the other guy followed us in a kayak in case we needed to rest or needed any help. Several times I would need to come up just to get a good breath of air and he always asked if I was okay.

In all we were out on the water kayaking and snorkeling for the better part of 2.5 hours. We met up with the other group of people who were on the boat/snorkeling tour. They offered us a ride back on the boat since the water was so choppy where we enjoyed water, but mostly beer. The guys on the boat were great and super friendly. They all seemed to enjoy they jobs a lot!

Back at Upachaya, Barb had a delicious, homemade lunch ready for us. After lunch we were driven back to our Port with plenty of time to explore the shops at port.

Barb and all of the guys working at Upachaya were VERY pleasant and my husband and I both agreed that this was our favorite excursion of the trip. Never once did I feel uneasy about booking a local excursion company as opposed to one offered by Carnival. I saved money and most likely got a lot more our of the excursion. If we ever make it down to Roatan for an full vacation we would definitely be interested in staying at Barb's B&B!

Eldersburg, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You can't lose, but you can get lost.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Tucked away from just about any other commerce, Upachaya will invigorate you with a wonderful adventure. Noting safety first and participant training, the staff provides an excellent and exciting event with history and local biology. The tour is diverse and pointed at natural preservation of the island environments, as is the business itself. The staff is kind, eloquent and engaged. As our two week vacation progressed, and this adventure coming on day 2, it became the measuring stick for everything else. It will be the highlight of your trip. Upachaya continues growing and I look forwad to returning and staying on the island at their beautiful facility.

Forest Ranch, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“First Class Snorkeling”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We are always looking for less crowded things to do while on vacation, especially a cruise. Well, if you are like that this is the snorkeling tour to take. I booked this offline of the cruise company and everything went very smooth. We arrived at the Upachaya property where Barb the owner greeted us and gave us a tour on our way to the boat. This is also a B&B, which we'd stay at if we ever head down here again. The snorkeling tour was incredible, we had the whole reef area to ourselves, group of six. Al is the man. He was very friendly and helpful. He also swam along with the group helping us see all we could including a barracuda. Afterwards Barb hosted a lunch which was very good. Overall, this tour the highlight of the trip.

Visited March 2013
Brush Prairie, Washington
“Worth the trip!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We took a chance and booked an excursion apart from our cruise ship. We really enjoyed Upachaya. Small group, great tour guides, wonderful food, excellent snorkeling and enjoyable time chatting with Barbara and all of her employees. Most definitely worth the money.